Slash model doesn't have his signature pickups, thoughts?

VergDan

Reaction score
I think it's unacceptable that these new Slash Signatures don't have his pick-ups in them, especially for the price higher than 59 Outfit (which came with Gibson USA electronics).

What makes this situation even worse is the fact that few years ago Epiphone issued Slash Signatures with proper pick-ups, see attached photo.
View attachment 553732
I definitely see your point.

josephchoi

Reaction score
Well I mean... what the epis come with are as much a "signature" pickup as the Gibson counterpart, aren't they? I mean in that in either cases Slash was involved with the voicing in much the same capacity. I do wish the Epis came with Gibson Slashbuckers or better yet the SD signatures, but I get that as part of the core lineup they need to be able to match production demands and having in-house pickups make fiscal sense. Still, qs is i do feel like they should have been priced like the Epi Norm burst. I mean, they're basically the same thing!

rbraad68

Reaction score
Does not bother me one bit - I'm weird that way though :run:

My Slash Anaconda feels solid, plays smooth, looks great, and sounds better than it looks (just my own opinion).

I'll by another Slash Epi LP before I buy another '59 Epi LP. Maybe I got a bad '59, because my Slash gets the nod from me over my '59.
Don't get me wrong I love slash!! He is the reason I like LP's so much but I honestly never wanted a slash sig or any other players sig guitar for that matter!! I had about 900 bucks tied up at sweet watter in credit and no 59 in sight!! I knew these were comming out and when the rep guy called me and told me that he could ship one out in the green. I figured fuck it atleast i can use up this money and be done with sweet water!! I wish i had gotten the gold top but was never offered that color nor ever asked about it. Prob my own fault!!

I have two 59's one is the dark burst and the other is one a friend sorta made some changes too !! lol anyways i love em both they are my top 2 guitars!! I don't regret the slash guitar as much now as i have been setting the thing up and it's starting to come around. The SD pups i put in the guitar don't sound too bad but now I'm going to wind up buying some "Slash"' Sig SD pups for it to make it right... I deff don't want another one of these guitars prob don't need another 59 either.. I think i'm going to focus on getthing this peavey classic 100 Head and cab ship out here from Florida and work on other things like PRACTISING!! I have to give my wallet a break it has been one hell of a yr for sure!!!
slash and 59s.jpg

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
:lol:
Gibson quality and guitars were so far in the shitter when he got his original AFD boutique Les Paul.
I just watched a few you tube reviews of the Gibson slash collection yesterday and i didnt realize how much some of these guys hate the burst buckers!! It must be nice to have enough money to buy one of these guitars let alone trash one in the review!! I must say the guitar the guy was reviewing was absoulty sweet!! This guy went on and on about how much better the SD slash sig pups were. He did side by side compare and yes there was a diff once he pointed it out but man really?? The gibson comes with the custom buckers for the slash and these Epi's come with the custom pro buckers which was something the powers that be chose to do with the slash models. I got my gold top back together with the slash pups outa my slash epi and they don't sound to bad considering i have the stock 50's harness in it. Yes the SD i had in it before sounded better but were talking about epiphone pickups here... I still stand behind the pro buckers i have them in more than a few epip'si own. My question is when did gibson's burst buckers become shit!!??? THe pair i have in both my 59's sound great??!!

VergDan

Reaction score
I just watched a few you tube reviews of the Gibson slash collection yesterday and i didnt realize how much some of these guys hate the burst buckers!! It must be nice to have enough money to buy one of these guitars let alone trash one in the review!! I must say the guitar the guy was reviewing was absoulty sweet!! This guy went on and on about how much better the SD slash sig pups were. He did side by side compare and yes there was a diff once he pointed it out but man really?? The gibson comes with the custom buckers for the slash and these Epi's come with the custom pro buckers which was something the powers that be chose to do with the slash models. I got my gold top back together with the slash pups outa my slash epi and they don't sound to bad considering i have the stock 50's harness in it. Yes the SD i had in it before sounded better but were talking about epiphone pickups here... I still stand behind the pro buckers i have them in more than a few epip'si own. My question is when did gibson's burst buckers become shit!!??? THe pair i have in both my 59's sound great??!!
So there ARE people that hate Gibson's Slash line? I'm feeling better now. I don't think it's fair that people hate on Epi's Slash line but Gibson get to do basically the same design philosophy with way way way higher price and people are happy about it. Call me silly but I have a soft spot for Epiphone.

rbraad68

Reaction score
It's not a hate. It's just a...meh.
that's hiw i feel about my epi slash. i don't hate it infact it's a well made guitar just doesn't speak 900 bucks to me when i have 499 dollar standards that i like better...

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well I mean... what the epis come with are as much a "signature" pickup as the Gibson counterpart, aren't they? I mean in that in either cases Slash was involved with the voicing in much the same capacity. I do wish the Epis came with Gibson Slashbuckers or better yet the SD signatures, but I get that as part of the core lineup they need to be able to match production demands and having in-house pickups make fiscal sense. Still, qs is i do feel like they should have been priced like the Epi Norm burst. I mean, they're basically the same thing!
I agree with you on that. This 60's standard is armed to the teeth and i have less into it than i do the org cost of my slash guitar!! People seem to forget that Slash started off with a hand made custom non Gibson and prob a reg tabacco burst gibson standard in the november rain video. I made the mistake of going for a sig guitar either it was this one or the Alex guitar I almost bought had sweet water had them in stock... I won't fall for it again that's for damm sure!! All i can say is atleast this is a 950 dollar mistake and not a 3000 dollar mistake!!

Attachments

USTTRM

Reaction score
I do think the perception of BBs of being shit is
prevailing on the internet for awhile now. The BB2 in particular. Now all of the epi pups are widely considered meh, unfair?

VergDan

Reaction score
prevailing on the internet for awhile now. The BB2 in particular. Now all of the epi pups are widely considered meh, unfair?
My perception on people's attitude towards these 2 Slash lines is mainly based on the comment sections under their official Youtube videos. People were happy under the Gibson video but disappointed under the Epiphone video. Guess I've not done my homework enough.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Sorry to read about disapointments with the Wpi slash guitars… the people i know who bought gibson USA Slash collection guitars are very happy with them. But I think overall the 2021 LP std (50/60) are getting great feedback…

Torshalla

Reaction score
I agree with you on that. This 60's standard is armed to the teeth and i have less into it than i do the org cost of my slash guitar!! People seem to forget that Slash started off with a hand made custom non Gibson and prob a reg tabacco burst gibson standard in the november rain video. I made the mistake of going for a sig guitar either it was this one or the Alex guitar I almost bought had sweet water had them in stock... I won't fall for it again that's for damm sure!! All i can say is atleast this is a 950 dollar mistake and not a 3000 dollar mistake!!
The November rain video was done with Joe Perry’s actual 1959 burst, which Slash had managed to buy after Joe had to sell it following his divorce…
AFD was recorder with a Chris Derrig made replica, as I understand they were great instruments, much better than what Gibson had to offer at the time

darkvoice

Reaction score
They are not bad, but they do not belong in Slash Signature guitars.

Considering the lack of Slash pickups and the fact that he has not done much in last 30 years I will pass on new Epi Slash models.

rbraad68

Reaction score
They are not bad, but they do not belong in Slash Signature guitars.

Considering the lack of Slash pickups and the fact that he has not done much in last 30 years I will pass on new Epi Slash models.
ahhh it's still a nice guitar. i honestly don't think there is too much slash about it anyways. i think epi could of released that color scheme in thier regular line up and charged a little less...Infact i seen an add for a plus top pro with the same color scheme with ebony board id rather of had that.. prob would of been cheaper.

i'm over it now i changed what i wanted to change other than the slash truss rod cover and the sticker on the back of the headstock theres nothing slash about it now. Prob change the Jazz neck pup out for a 59 and call it a day...

Attachments

juanpuol

Reaction score
was it the vaticans on youtube? In his review he does trash the Gibson Slash Customs a lot, but the SD do sound better.

juanpuol

Reaction score
So there ARE people that hate Gibson's Slash line? I'm feeling better now. I don't think it's fair that people hate on Epi's Slash line but Gibson get to do basically the same design philosophy with way way way higher price and people are happy about it. Call me silly but I have a soft spot for Epiphone.
Yeah, the Gibson line I have seen being very criticized for going cheap and installing Gibson home pickups instead of his SD signature. So many complaints about how that is not something slash would play but they are charging $500 more for his logo.

Latest Threads