Slash model doesn't have his signature pickups, thoughts?

VergDan

Reaction score
I learned that Epiphone slash models have custom probuckers in them. I personally don't mind as they seem to have been modified to suit Slash's taste. But I've seen a lot of people get angry or disappointed in the comment sections of some Youtube videos I've watched.

After a brief search I see that the Gibson models don't carry his signature pickups either, instead they carry custom burstbucker. Are people upset about those too? I didn't see complains under Gibson's slash collection video (or am I oblivious?). Why the hate towards the Epiphone models? Thoughts?

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
I agree with the price point argument. The 50’s standard doesn’t have a case, but plug in components. The 59 at least had a mostly wired cavity and is cheaper than the Slash. They started off with good stuff, now it’s a money grab. There’s not enough of a difference in build or components to justify that price. They showed their ass on the 59 with the case and better electronics for cheaper.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's usual that Epiphone iterations come with cheaper pickups.

Zakk Wylde Epis usually came with EMG Hz stock instead of the 81-85 set.
Even Joe Bonamassa's current Black Beauty comes with Epiphone ProBuckers.
I think ProBuckers are the higher quality Epiphone eletronics, but I could be wrong.

Now as to why Gibson's Slash line won't use Seymour Duncans...probably a profit margin thing. His Custom Shop Signatures like the AFD came with his SD Alnico II set though.

VergDan

Reaction score
I agree with the price point argument. The 50’s standard doesn’t have a case, but plug in components. The 59 at least had a mostly wired cavity and is cheaper than the Slash. They started off with good stuff, now it’s a money grab. There’s not enough of a difference in build or components to justify that price. They showed their ass on the 59 with the case and better electronics for cheaper.
Now when you put it like that, it does seem like a money grab comparing to other higher-end models. Wonder how much Slash's skull logo on the back of the headstock actually worth.

VergDan

Reaction score
I think it's usual that Epiphone iterations come with cheaper pickups.

Zakk Wylde Epis usually came with EMG Hz stock instead of the 81-85 set.
Even Joe Bonamassa's current Black Beauty comes with Epiphone ProBuckers.
I think ProBuckers are the higher quality Epiphone eletronics, but I could be wrong.

Now as to why Gibson's Slash line won't use Seymour Duncans...probably a profit margin thing. His Custom Shop Signatures like the AFD came with his SD Alnico II set though.
Did not know Gibson Slash custom shop existed, need to educate myself more on Gibson models.
ProBuckers definitely are higher-end Epiphone electronics, they put those in everything, from higher-end models to signature models. Seems lazy to me. But I actually like ProBuckers, I think they're my favorite stock pickups, and that's coming from a guy who mainly plays high-gain stuff who thinks EMG 8185 are amazing, can't believe my favorite stock pickups are a pair of medium output PAF style pickups.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Now when you put it like that, it does seem like a money grab comparing to other higher-end models. Wonder how much Slash's skull logo on the back of the headstock actually worth.
If you put in Gibson terms, their 50’s is 2500 and the slash is 3000. You do the math

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did not know Gibson Slash custom shop existed, need to educate myself more on Gibson models.
ProBuckers definitely are higher-end Epiphone electronics, they put those in everything, from higher-end models to signature models. Seems lazy to me. But I actually like ProBuckers, I think they're my favorite stock pickups, and that's coming from a guy who mainly plays high-gain stuff who thinks EMG 8185 are amazing, can't believe my favorite stock pickups are a pair of medium output PAF style pickups.
The current Slash Standard line is just standard production guitars with his stamp on it.
Still I only hear good things about them.

There's been more than one run of Custom Shop Slash guitars that came stock with his SD kit. Like this more recent CS Anaconda or this AFD, but I think there's been many others as well.

I don't even like Slash, but that's what a Les Paul disorder does to you.
Welcome to the forum BTW :welcome:

rbraad68

Reaction score
The guitar seems well made deff a solid guitar. The cavities are nice and clean the mapple top seems nice and thick. the whole guitar body wise seems like it's built good. Now with that said my ass still hurts from that deal! I deff regret not holding out for another 59. I'll prob tinker with it till I get bored with it and stick it in case rright next to the custom I never play....

VergDan

Reaction score
The current Slash Standard line is just standard production guitars with his stamp on it.
Still I only hear good things about them.

There's been more than one run of Custom Shop Slash guitars that came stock with his SD kit. Like this more recent CS Anaconda or this AFD, but I think there's been many others as well.

I don't even like Slash, but that's what a Les Paul disorder does to you.
Welcome to the forum BTW :welcome:
I think both the Gibson Slash Standard line and the Epiphone Slash collection are decent lines of guitars with his personal tweaks here and there, and yes the logo.
What I was most curious about was the general disappointment towards the Epiphone Slash collection, as opposed to the Gibson Slash line which was fairly well recieved. Now I kinda understand why.
Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:

VergDan

Reaction score
The guitar seems well made deff a solid guitar. The cavities are nice and clean the mapple top seems nice and thick. the whole guitar body wise seems like it's built good. Now with that said my ass still hurts from that deal! I deff regret not holding out for another 59. I'll prob tinker with it till I get bored with it and stick it in case rright next to the custom I never play....
I'm liking the 59 more and more. It's good to know that Slash model is decent nonetheless albeit a bit overpriced. By the way how are you liking the 60s standard? Care to give some thoughts? I'm intrigued by that model as well.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I don't know why people are getting so upset, they are a special Probucker exactly matching the Gibson custom for the Slash guitar. Slash himself approved both the Gibson Custom Pickup and the Epiphone Probucker Pickup, 99% of people who play guitar on the planet can't tell the difference, so I don't know why everyone is so upset over them.

fry

Reaction score
I don't know why people are getting so upset, they are a special Probucker exactly matching the Gibson custom for the Slash guitar. Slash himself approved both the Gibson Custom Pickup and the Epiphone Probucker Pickup, 99% of people who play guitar on the planet can't tell the difference, so I don't know why everyone is so upset over them.
I’m sure they are fine pickups, and most people probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a blind test. I just think that for the price of the guitar, they should’ve at least put USA pickups in it. It’s like you’re paying a premium for something you’re not getting. I don’t think this should cost $100 more than the 59 just because it has Slash’s scribble on it.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's all about the principal of price point to options. I want an upgraded set of pups at that cost.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I’m sure they are fine pickups, and most people probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a blind test. I just think that for the price of the guitar, they should’ve at least put USA pickups in it. It’s like you’re paying a premium for something you’re not getting. I don’t think this should cost $100 more than the 59 just because it has Slash’s scribble on it.
I totally agree man. I didn't listen to the org pups that much i plugged the guitar tuned it up played a few cords and that was it. I replaced the pups with SD JB and Jazz. I'm starting to regret not putting a 59 in the neck the Jazz just seems alittle off whih is wierd cause it sounds great in my 50s gold top where i got it from!! I'm going to use the "slash" pro buckers in my 50's gold top so i'll get to check them out some more once i finish the gold top. I guess it all boils down to how much you are willing to pay for slash scribble!! I myself think i made a mistake and should of waited for another 59 but no use cryin over it... I read that even the Gibson slash models got a custom bucker and not his sig pups....

darkvoice

Reaction score
I think it's unacceptable that these new Slash Signatures don't have his pick-ups in them, especially for the price higher than 59 Outfit (which came with Gibson USA electronics).

What makes this situation even worse is the fact that few years ago Epiphone issued Slash Signatures with proper pick-ups, see attached photo.
P1400531.JPG

orrb_05

Reaction score
Does not bother me one bit - I'm weird that way though :run:

My Slash Anaconda feels solid, plays smooth, looks great, and sounds better than it looks (just my own opinion).

I'll by another Slash Epi LP before I buy another '59 Epi LP. Maybe I got a bad '59, because my Slash gets the nod from me over my '59.

Latest Threads