Slash LPs

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I was at a local music store tonite, wont say who, but was told they are trying to ship back all of their Slash LPs, they cant sell them :hmm: I wonder why?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Maybe this has something to do with it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqynAZ4aic0]YouTube - Alter Bridge & Slash - Rise Today, Live @ Arenan 2010[/ame]

Note: He's playing a PRS!:shock:

Not to mention, how many people bought them thinking they were actually going to be "collectible"? Anyone with a Classic GT, or Standard can swap the pickups and have the EXACT same guitar anyway. They're a dime a dozen.

borgein

Reaction score
Anyone with a Classic GT, or Standard can swap the pickups and have the EXACT same guitar anyway. They're a dime a dozen.

Not true.

Slash signatures have TonePro T1ZSA "Aluminum Featherweight" Locking Tailpiece, a TonePro TP6 Locking Nashville bridge and TonePro locking tailpiece studs as well..
These parts also need to be upgraded, as they add some tone and sustain improvements.

Also the Slash sigs are not chambered. They are more like Les Paul Traditionals (swiss-cheesed) except they are made with a 1-piece mahogany back and they don't have a satin back. Oh, and for many people, the neck profile is one of the best they have tried.

So no, you can't just take a Standard and swap pickups and have the same guitar. Also, considering where you live, the Slash sigs cost the same as new Standards (for example here in Norway). And compared side-by-side the Slash sig is an upgraded Standard in my eyes, for about the same price.

Not everyone buys a Slash sig because they are Slash fans. But it seems to me like the Slash sigs are very consistant in good quality. I've never heard of a Slash sig with messed up bindings, fret boards and bad finishes on new guitars... You hear that about Standards all day long... Heck, even on Customs and some Historics...

This is the cost of the TonePro upgrade parts alone: $198,95 USD.
Prices taken from http://www.darrenriley.com/TonePros.htm
Then you can add the prices for the pickups (the Duncans are more expensive than the Gibsons)
+ getting a tech to solder the new pickups for you (95% of the buyers won't do this themselfs).

Suddenly, you've spent like $500 extra for upgrades that you could have gotten on a guitar at approx. the same price as a new Standard anyway. Except, you did not get the neck profile, and your guitar is still chambered (if it is a Standard... And if it is a Traditional, you probably have a 2-piece satin back... yay).

Personally i paid less for my new '08 Slash sig than a new Standard cost in stores... And yeah, i like Slash, but i'm not a die-hard fan, and i bought this guitar because it sounded and felt much like a much better instrument than any of the new Standards i compared it with. By far. I've yet to find a R8/R9 that beats it even, especially after i upgraded it with a RS kit, TonePro Kluson tuners and a bone nut as well.

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Perhaps PRS is the true secret to Slash tone.

No, more like the reverse. A PRS always sounds like a PRS, even if you're Slash. Which means you don't even need Slash in the equation. Nice guitars, but only a Gibson/Derrig/Max have that "Gibson" tone as played by Slash. I know, it sounds confusing, like Slash on weed, philosophizing about guitar tone on a weekend. :slash:

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not true.

Slash signatures have TonePro T1ZSA "Aluminum Featherweight" Locking Tailpiece, a TonePro TP6 Locking Nashville bridge and TonePro locking tailpiece studs as well..
These parts also need to be upgraded, as they add some tone and sustain improvements.

Also the Slash sigs are not chambered. They are more like Les Paul Traditionals (swiss-cheesed) except they are made with a 1-piece mahogany back and they don't have a satin back. Oh, and for many people, the neck profile is one of the best they have tried.

So no, you can't just take a Standard and swap pickups and have the same guitar. Also, considering where you live, the Slash sigs cost the same as new Standards (for example here in Norway). And compared side-by-side the Slash sig is an upgraded Standard in my eyes, for about the same price.

Not everyone buys a Slash sig because they are Slash fans. But it seems to me like the Slash sigs are very consistant in good quality. I've never heard of a Slash sig with messed up bindings, fret boards and bad finishes on new guitars... You hear that about Standards all day long... Heck, even on Customs and some Historics...

Prices taken from TonePros
Then you can add the prices for the pickups (the Duncans are more expensive than the Gibsons)
+ getting a tech to solder the new pickups for you (95% of the buyers won't do this themselfs).

Suddenly, you've spent like $500 extra for upgrades that you could have gotten on a guitar at approx. the same price as a new Standard anyway. Except, you did not get the neck profile, and your guitar is still chambered (if it is a Standard... And if it is a Traditional, you probably have a 2-piece satin back... yay).

Personally i paid less for my new '08 Slash sig than a new Standard cost in stores... And yeah, i like Slash, but i'm not a die-hard fan, and i bought this guitar because it sounded and felt much like a much better instrument than any of the new Standards i compared it with. By far. I've yet to find a R8/R9 that beats it even, especially after i upgraded it with a RS kit, TonePro Kluson tuners and a bone nut as well.

Your not going to buy a Slash sig for the same price as a Std here in the USA.:)

Jakeislove

Reaction score
No, more like the reverse. A PRS always sounds like a PRS, even if you're Slash. Which means you don't even need Slash in the equation. Nice guitars, but only a Gibson/Derrig/Max have that "Gibson" tone as played by Slash. I know, it sounds confusing, like Slash on weed, philosophizing about guitar tone on a weekend. :slash:

Many fans are probably looking for that PRS, what strings were on it, amp used, pick, new hat/shades right now.:)

loucamaro91

Reaction score
Your not going to buy a Slash sig for the same price as a Std here in the USA.:)

I did!
Hell I bought two for what a new Custom is running.. But your right, they sat untouched in my local shop for two years! I got a killer price because of this.

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I did!
Hell I bought two for what a new Custom is running.. But your right, they sat untouched in my local shop for two years! I got a killer price because of this.

You bought 2 of what? Slash Sig? They ask $6499.00 for these, they dont ask $6499 for an LP Std.

KenG

Reaction score
Not true.

Prices taken from TonePros

The only Trads I've seen with 2 piece backs are the Pros (which were always stated as such). The Trad Pluses were one piece until just recently when Gibson changed the specs to allow either a 1 or 2 piece.

I think it's a shame to spend the kind of money a Standard costs new for a 2-piece body.

hpshooter

Reaction score
The Slash AFD USA model retails at 2837.00. You can't find a Standard at this price? Where are you shopping?

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
You bought 2 of what? Slash Sig? They ask $6499.00 for these, they dont ask $6499 for an LP Std.

6k for an appetite VOS...not for the other slash sig's. They can send all of the guitars back but Slash will still be doing better than all of us.

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I should have been more specific on which Slash LP I was talking about in my original post. And that it was called AFD sig. I'm not much into anything Slash anyways.
I forgot about all these other so called Slash sig models, I forgot they even had an epiphone Slash model also.
My apologies. :)

Crusader Rabbit

Reaction score
Strange...

It would be weird to see Slash switching to a PRS endorsement really, his whole career has been LP's (Or replicas thereof) and his sound is not one I equate with a PRS.

Although, the 57/08 pickups might suit his playing...

I bet Henry would be pissed though...

Bandols

Reaction score
My local store has only been stocking the epiphone slash sigs so I have yet to be able to give it a try. But I will say that the epi slash sig is a horrible guitar and I didn't like it at all.

borgein

Reaction score
Strange...

It would be weird to see Slash switching to a PRS endorsement really, his whole career has been LP's (Or replicas thereof) and his sound is not one I equate with a PRS.

Although, the 57/08 pickups might suit his playing...

I bet Henry would be pissed though...

Umm.. He just played a concert... and borrowed Myles Kennedy's guitar... He didn't have any of his own equipment with him... He even played on Fender amps.

I don't think he'll be switching to PRS or Fender any time soon... :)

Latest Threads