Slash has bought the Robert Johnson ‘burst

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score
calling it now...next years new 'artist' model....MAP price 29999...but they'll throw in some more sunglasses and a sleeveless garage shirt

filtersweep

Reaction score
The bursts just have that "bounce" as I call it with the hollow multilayer overtones that are dirty and clean all together. That's the one thing that seems to separate the vintage from the new, even with the boutique pickups, they just can't get that last 10%. My historic makeovers came close with Wizz and vintage caps, but still on the search to find one that gets it.
I’m not buying any of this. How can ‘the bursts’ collectively be all similar?

And how does a makeover affect tone?

Or vintage caps? I doubt anyone can hear a real difference there.

21stcsm

Reaction score
Totally off topic (but not in regards to Slash)... He definitely looks like he's been lifting heavier/more etc. His shoulder girdle, arms and especially his forearms look better developed than in recent memory. As a competitive weightlifter in my 50's, it's cool to see older dudes staying in shape. Maybe he did it in part as a $(#$( you to Axl, who looks like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man these days :)

kaputme

Reaction score
I second that. that's why i Like Joe bonamasa more. He brings out his big guns to his concerts.
Your post was fine. The fact that Slash bought it, and will probably hide it away, never to be seen or more importantly, heard again, is what I found was the "so what" aspect of my post.

Herbie74

Reaction score
I have always felt the magic is in the old growth wood and not even in the aging as these guitars were awesome and sought after in the 70s. More specifically how that wood vibrates.

Namelyguitar

Reaction score
Thought this thread was about the blues legend that died in 1938 before the first Les Paul was built? ;)

Paul in a box

Reaction score
Is this the Burst that started the "Grill Mark" matched-top craze? Doesn't do much for me, especially knowing that it was encased in plastic at one point.
Good for Slash though - at least it will get played.
After 40 years as a fender guy I just bought a Gary Moore Burst Les Paul that lQQks like that guitar! I can't put it down .... rings like a bell!

jlb32

Reaction score
Why did Gibson not release this as the next "Slash" model over the lame excuse they previously did?

IMO if they are going to release a "new" "Slash" model, at least make it interesting. The latest one seemed pretty lame, other than they wanted to hype the Brazilian rosewood.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why did Gibson not release this as the next "Slash" model over the lame excuse they previously did?

IMO if they are going to release a "new" "Slash" model, at least make it interesting. The latest one seemed pretty lame, other than they wanted to hype the Brazilian rosewood.
Because he didn't own it when the process started for the recent Slash model (6-12 months earlier).

Joejitsumd

Reaction score
I wonder if slash leaves these guitars stock or if he swaps the pickups for A2P trying to get more of his signature sound.

jtamagna

Reaction score
I had the privilege of playing two real 1959 Les Paul bursts. Not an R9, real 59’s. It was surreal

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Seriously?!?

He's one of the guys who is most likely to play it on record or live on stage so that people will hear it......

Move on before you embarrass yourself further
dude joe bonnamassa does that not Slash

decoy205

Reaction score
Slash is the man. That’s a nice burst. I hope he records more music with it.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Totally off topic (but not in regards to Slash)... He definitely looks like he's been lifting heavier/more etc. His shoulder girdle, arms and especially his forearms look better developed than in recent memory. As a competitive weightlifter in my 50's, it's cool to see older dudes staying in shape. Maybe he did it in part as a $(#$( you to Axl, who looks like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man these days :)
Get a room.

Daytripper67

Reaction score
This is old but he states he records with his old guitars,but don't tour them.