Slash has bought the Robert Johnson ‘burst

used guitars

Reaction score
[So who's the other Robert Johnson?[/QUOTE]

Robert Johnson is the guy that fucked that guitar up. he had the whole thing over shot with a very thick clear coating; man, the thing practically looked like it it been dipped in polyurethane. it was hideous but at least it was over the original finish. Johnson should have known better. he was into the vintage thing way early on. I can't imagine what he was thinking. anyway he sold it to a guy named Rick at Pyramid guitars in Memphis. A guy bought it from Rick and from him it went to Tom. many years later Tom sold it to Vic. Vic eventually sent it to Lautner to have him deal with the ridiculous over-spray. Vic waited a long time to get that guitar back, but when he finally did it what the hell of a lot better. now the thing was over all kind of very slightly dull but an overall big improvement. by the way Tom got the guitar from me after I bought it from Rick. Other than the finish adventures; that guitar is cool and straight with an obviously brutal top. remember kids: if you get a 100% original vintage guitar... just leave it the hell alone.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Naw, I'd send it to Historic Makeovers. :dude:

Last edited:

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Jeeze...still with the shades and top hat.
Are we 50 yet?
In his autobiography and a couple of interviews, Slash basically says he has super intense social anxiety. The hat and sunglasses are part of his image, yes, but to him they are also tools to help him manage the anxiety. May sound strange, but I've known much weirder things people do for that.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
The bursts just have that "bounce" as I call it with the hollow multilayer overtones that are dirty and clean all together. That's the one thing that seems to separate the vintage from the new, even with the boutique pickups, they just can't get that last 10%. My historic makeovers came close with Wizz and vintage caps, but still on the search to find one that gets it.
I thought the Derrig (or Gibson AFD?) sounded the best in that video, just being played acoustically. It sounded like a hollowbody to me at first.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice old guitar,... it's been thru a lot of hands.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
In his autobiography and a couple of interviews, Slash basically says he has super intense social anxiety. The hat and sunglasses are part of his image, yes, but to him they are also tools to help him manage the anxiety. May sound strange, but I've known much weirder things people do for that.
Yea, me too...

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Jeeze...still with the shades and top hat.
Are we 50 yet?
Slash: one of the founding members of one of the biggest rock bands in the world, recorded on countless records, and still actively recording and touring.

Us: talking smack about his clothes on an internet guitar forum.

Winner = :slash:

(Oh yea, and he almost single handedly put the Les Paul back on the map in the days of pointy super strats, so for that alone we should be grateful...)

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Slash: one of the founding members of one of the biggest rock bands in the world, recorded on countless records, and still actively recording and touring.

Us: talking smack about his clothes on an internet guitar forum.

Winner = :slash:

(Oh yea, and he almost single handedly put the Les Paul back on the map in the days of pointy super strats, so for that alone we should be grateful...)
Yup,... i played Les Pauls when it wasn't fashionable too,.... and kinda liked that way,... more for me kinda thing:D

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
[So who's the other Robert Johnson?
"Other than the finish adventures; that guitar is cool and straight with an obviously brutal top".

It is my understanding that this guitar's original fingerboard was "worn out" and replaced with a period correct fingerboard. A member of the other Les Paul forum also stated that the pickups have been changed. Maybe true. Just what I have heard about this one. Glad for Slash! Still a great 59!!

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"Other than the finish adventures; that guitar is cool and straight with an obviously brutal top".

It is my understanding that this guitar's original fingerboard was "worn out" and replaced with a period correct fingerboard. A member of the other Les Paul forum also stated that the pickups have been changed. Maybe true. Just what I have heard about this one. Glad for Slash! Still a great 59!!
Per others...Somewhere along the way a poorly applied s/n was added. (Possibly after a theft??) A correct-font s/n is now on it.

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
You are correct SWS1. I forgot to mention that. Used to be known as "Captain Curly" I think. Still love that guitar!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Exactly... now tell me if my guitar looks better with the pick guard on or off and let's argue about Slash for 3 more pages.
Absolutely pick guard off. You should really ask the internet for answers on every important decision in your life... :rofl:

Last edited:

DarthPaul

Reaction score
Is this the Burst that started the "Grill Mark" matched-top craze? Doesn't do much for me, especially knowing that it was encased in plastic at one point.
Good for Slash though - at least it will get played.