Slash Goldtop NGD

Droog

Reaction score
9B8707E1-1402-4214-AA3C-A4D326D28AC1.jpg
Alright, so I’ve been wanting a goldtop for some time, played a number of them, then I found this “ Victoria “ model. Fairly light at 8.6 lbs, 2022 series number, really acoustically resonant and I realize the pickups are a bit of a controversy but I like the sound of them through my stuff. Advertised as a 50’s neck but the as you go up the neck it felt a little smaller then the 50’s standard I compared it too. On to pictures I guess.

Edit...Files too big apparently. Oh well, F*$k the pics, you know what they look like.
7DA01A07-29E3-456A-8540-0BD58F694F9C.jpeg

2nd. edit, you get 2 pics, not good ones, 1 is upside down, the other is well....bad.. That's all the effort I'm putting in, I quit.

Last edited:

Guvnor513

Reaction score
I just bought one of these as well - from the Gibson demo shop. I actually jumped on it despite a couple factory 'birthmarks.' The weight was 8.4 lbs. My thinking was - a non-weight relieved LP at that weight for less than $4-$6K? It's worth a shot. Been jonesing for a Goldtop too.

What is your take on the neck? I have a '99 and a '93 LP Classic and feel that neck shape is perfect. The '50s neck profile is... uh.. its different. I am still feeling out the guitar a little. I am thinking that if I really dig the tone of the guitar, I may inquire with Gibson about sending it back for a neck reshape. Won't be anything soon, of course, as I am sure such a service would cost about as much as the guitar.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Congratulations, a beautiful guitar and everyone (at least me), needs a Goldtop.

I had a Slash Vermillion Burst. What a great guitar. Still miss it, but I used it in a trade for a LPC.

Last edited:

Tollie

Reaction score
I just bought one of these as well - from the Gibson demo shop. I actually jumped on it despite a couple factory 'birthmarks.' The weight was 8.4 lbs. My thinking was - a non-weight relieved LP at that weight for less than $4-$6K? It's worth a shot. Been jonesing for a Goldtop too.

What is your take on the neck? I have a '99 and a '93 LP Classic and feel that neck shape is perfect. The '50s neck profile is... uh.. its different. I am still feeling out the guitar a little. I am thinking that if I really dig the tone of the guitar, I may inquire with Gibson about sending it back for a neck reshape. Won't be anything soon, of course, as I am sure such a service would cost about as much as the guitar.
Those are beautiful gold tops. The other guitarist in my band plays a Victoria and he sounds great.

My thoughts on reshaping the neck are that it would be more cost effective and supportive of your local economy if you have a local luthier reshape the neck. You could have the luthier leave a stinger at the headstock and use a wax and oil blend on the sanded neck, exactly the way the Music Man does their necks. The Music Man necks feel amazing.

Guvnor513

Reaction score
Those are beautiful gold tops. The other guitarist in my band plays a Victoria and he sounds great.

My thoughts on reshaping the neck are that it would be more cost effective and supportive of your local economy if you have a local luthier reshape the neck. You could have the luthier leave a stinger at the headstock and use a wax and oil blend on the sanded neck, exactly the way the Music Man does their necks. The Music Man necks feel amazing.
That is a great idea... I have luthier within an hour's drive that could definitely do it.

Droog

Reaction score

I have a 92 standard and a vintage junior that have perfect neck shapes, that are a bit thinner and more C shaped Then the goldtop, it’s much thinner than my R8. Overall I like the neck shape, it’s not perfect for me but I like it. I can play any neck really though so I’m happy.

jbash

Reaction score
Congrats. I like a good goldtop but I'm REALLY particular about them. I pretty much only like the reissues as they have that greenish tinge and can be had with a medium or dark back.

The recent 50s standards and tributes have the lighter colored back which I don't care for at all. Did not stop me from picking up a Tribute, but still not my thing. I might strip the whole guitar soon enough.

The Victoria is by far the best looking production line Goldtop Standard/Trad model they have had in years, maybe decades. Still could use some more green tint, but I love the darker back. And I'm a fan of these Slash Standards (though not a Slash fan, per-se)

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm usually a pick guard on guy but this one doesn't need it

Peter M

Reaction score
Sweet. Can't say I'm not going to get one of those eventually. :)

Latest Threads