Slash catch

PauloQS

Reaction score
The frets on my Slash LP measured exactly what the frets on my 60th Anniversary R9 measured. The difference that I noticed was in the profile of the frets. The R9 had a more rounded profile relative to the Slash LP and the Standard '50s for that matter.

The neck on my Slash LP (~0.89" @ 1st) was slightly chunkier than my R9, but my R9 (~0.87" @ 1st) has a slightly bellow average profile. My Standard '50s has virtually identical measurements to my R9, yet the Standard '50s feels just a tad beefier.

I attribute this to the geometry of the neck. I find that the R9 has slightly slimmer shoulders. Both are what I would consider a Gibson soft V (not to be confused with the much more pronounced Fender soft V). It's just that the shoulders on the R9 feel just slightly more shaved off.

I got corroboration for my conjecture regarding the shoulders of the neck when I played my friend's 1964 ES-335 reissue. Neck depth-wise, his guitars measured in the same range as my R9, Slash and '50s Standards. However, the shoulders on his '64 ES-335 RI is very noticeably much more pronounced, very D shape. The neck on that 335 feels huge, absolutely ginormous. I played R8s and my Gibson Custom Special that has an R8 inspired neck that don't feel as massive as that 335, despite the profile on the 335 being thinner.

Anyways, sorry for nerding out a bit. Great looking guitar. I totally agree, these Slash Standards are the closes you can get to an R9 without paying Custom Shop prices. Absolutely phenomenal guitars. HNGD and I hope you enjoy that thing for many years.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Very nice guitar!
Gibson really upped their game this year again... the latest standards are closer to historic specs than ever and the Slash ones are really cool.
Congrats and enjoy!

sonar1

Reaction score
Very nice guitar!
Gibson really upped their game this year again... the latest standards are closer to historic specs than ever and the Slash ones are really cool.
Congrats and enjoy!
Tks!
Yeah Slash (or Saul) specs non weight-relieved, dark fingerboard, AAA top, and chunkier neck I think.
Pickups sound just like the Burstbuckers on my R9
plus I got 10% off my being a frequent flyer at the store.
Picked it up and went “oh yeah.”
Plugged it in and it was right.
It’s become my #1 quickly because the frets feel so right.
Not that my other Gibsons are bad at all.

Torshalla

Reaction score
I really wonder how Gibson defines the Slash neck profile... they have made super skinny Slash necks and chunky Slash necks...
I like the 59 style much better to the 60s slim style.

jbash

Reaction score
I really wonder how Gibson defines the Slash neck profile... they have made super skinny Slash necks and chunky Slash necks...
I like the 59 style much better to the 60s slim style.
On mine , it is nearly identical in depth and shape to the baseball bat on my 2014 Traditional , which is the biggest neck I've encountered on anything but an R8. The Slash is probably a thousandth or two thinner throughout the length and it has slightly less shoulder- but they are very very close to each other. I was expecting the Slash to be smaller actually and was pretty surprised how close they are. If mine is any kind of typical example (and with Gibson, who knows), then I would say it sits between an R8 and R9. It is significantly larger than the neck on the 1954 ES125 I grew up paying.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Glad these Slash Les Pauls are getting some love. I absolutely love mine. I say it all the time that I think it is as close to a Custom Shop without being a Custom Shop that you can get. Cheers all and have a great weekend.

Torshalla

Reaction score
I think the specs are good... abr1, solid body, chunkier necks... much closer to re issues than previous standards. Then I guess it is a matter of preference (some people like weight relief)...
But I am happy to see Gibson have turned their business around so well after the shit years they have gone through. Their new management seems great.

Latest Threads