Slash 50s LP vs 1950s LP Standard

UTGrad

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a beefy neck LP and I’m considering the 1950s era LP Standard or the 2020 Slash 1950s LP.

Asides for the Slashbuckers and orange drop capacitors, is the $500 difference in price worth it? Seems like the Slash is just a 50s Standard with his pups, orange drop capacitors and his logo.

Am I missing something?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I mention the '90 Studio because it has a chunky neck. I have necks that range from really thin to wicked (I am in New England) fat. I really don't notice the difference. I've been going back and forth from acoustics to super strats (and everything in between) for 40 years.

And I do highly recommend the APH-1 pups. They are one of my favorites.

Ripgut

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a beefy neck LP and I’m considering the 1950s era LP Standard or the 2020 Slash 1950s LP.

Asides for the Slashbuckers and orange drop capacitors, is the $500 difference in price worth it? Seems like the Slash is just a 50s Standard with his pups, orange drop capacitors and his logo.

Am I missing something?
I think the difference also is the grade of top. Slash models are AAA, while the '50s models are AA. It is subjective though and you're gonna see a lot of AA tops blow a lot of AAA tops out of the water and be like WTF, how. The finish options are different as well, you get that Appetite Burst color which is basically Trans Amber and the closest you're gonna get to a Lemon Burst when it comes to the Original Collection. Both models come with Orange Drop caps, not just the Slash model.

Injector

Reaction score
Slash likes slim necks so I'm not sure these signature models have the same necls as the original 50s? I think they're like the end production Les Paul Traditionals, ie a rounded 50s neck which is like a halfway house between a baseball bat 57 and a slim taper 60s neck.

So Slash's guitar offers a neck profile that you can't get in either a 50s or 60s Original Series guitar. It also has an AAA flame top, exclusive paint jobs and different pickups.

danzego

Reaction score
Gibson has them both listed as a "Vintage 50's" neck profile. The only difference I can tell is allegedly the top (I've seen some nice ones and some dogs in both the Slash and Original Collection lines), the pickups, the Slash designation, and and the Slash ones don't have the pickguard installed (so if you're not into having one, you won't have any predrilled holes).

Is that worth $500 to you? Only you can answer that one.

Ripgut

Reaction score
On Gibson site about the neck...

"Slash’s personal touches including a C-shape neck profile"

Whatever that means, lol.

And on the specs section it says "50s Vintage".

PauloQS

Reaction score
Just a clarification, both have orange drop capacitors.

The differences are, the grade of the top, pickups, finishes, and slash logo and case candy. This is ignoring that the Slash Standards come with uncounted pickguard. You can get a exclusive run of Standard ‘50s with AAA tops for $2,799. Thus the signature aspect of the guitar is a $200 price difference. As for the necks, both have about the same depth. There is a lot of variation, but from what I’ve seen measurements average about the same.

One thing that I noticed, is that I see a lot of sub 9lbs Slash Standards. I believe the lightest mahogany at the Gibson USA factory is being used for the Slash Standard. You can still find them in the lower, mid and upper 9lbs as well as some breaking the 10lbs mark.

David Garner

Reaction score
I think that you can drop a couple SD APH-1 pups into almost any LP with '50s wiring and get tons of Slash tone. I did it with my '90 ebony LP Studio and that thing rages. The rest is in your fingers.

If I were after that tone that’s what I’d do too (but I’d use the APH-2s). Whatever Gibson is putting in his guitars today, the tones everyone associates with him were made with a set of Alnico II Pros.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If I were after that tone that’s what I’d do too (but I’d use the APH-2s). Whatever Gibson is putting in his guitars today, the tones everyone associates with him were made with a set of Alnico II Pros.
IIRC, the APH-1s use Alnico II. I believe the Derrig has/had APH-1s in it.

I'm not an expert on the subject and I am going off of memory from research I did many years ago.

Last edited:

David Garner

Reaction score
IIRC, the APH-1s use Alnico II. I believe the Derrig has/had APH-1s in it.

I'm not an expert on the subject and I am going off of memory from research I did many years ago.

Both use Alnico II. The Derrig did have APH-1s, but the APH-2 (which is just the Slash signature version of the APH-1) was designed to make his other Les Pauls sound like the Derrig. It’s what he plays live and what a lot of his most recent recordings used.

That said, it’s hard to go wrong with either.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Hell yeah it is worth it! Don't believe me, take a look at my Slash:

Slash Best.jpg

jbash

Reaction score
Sweetwater just got a bunch in. Well 6 anyway. 4 Novembers and a couple vermillions. The tops are pretty lackluster. Edit- a few of them are 9.5 pounds too.

I'm not big into flame tops, but other than exclusive colors and some special burstbuckers, I don't see the big deal (that said I DO love an amber top)

BetoJr

Reaction score
Im planning on buying the slash model soon. The reason the guitar ranges from 9.5lbs to 10lbs is because theres no weight relief on his model.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I think that you can drop a couple SD APH-1 pups into almost any LP with '50s wiring and get tons of Slash tone. I did it with my '90 ebony LP Studio and that thing rages. The rest is in your fingers.

The ADH-1 and the Slash pickups are my favorite too. Great pickups.

danzego

Reaction score
Im planning on buying the slash model soon. The reason the guitar ranges from 9.5lbs to 10lbs is because theres no weight relief on his model.

There are plenty of Slash model guitars- and other ones, for that matter- that aren't weight relieved and sit nicely in the 9 pound even (and below) range. It's because the wood on many of those particular guitars is heavier than other pieces, pure and simple.

Latest Threads