Slash 202x Collection Quality

Equilibrium 8

Reaction score
I have seen a few posts where people say things like the Gibson USA Slash model is as close to a custom shop as Gibson USA get and various other vague praises.

Since there are so many slash models made over the years, I'm not 100% sure which ones the comments are referring to, but from context I guess it is the newer 202x Slash collection.
Can anybody elaborate on
why these are so good? On paper, they don't seem remarkably better than a Standard?
are they far better than a Standard?
And stretching, but since used ones are close in price to a used R8, how do they compare to R8s?

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Manufactured on the same line as an LP Studio. Zero difference in build quality.

Materials wise, the woods are being pulled from the same stock as any USA Standard, sans the tops, which would be pulled from the stock used for dealer exclusive AAA tops. Don't buy into the hype. You're buying the Slash model for his branding and the pickups. Everything else is mostly standard fare.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Quality is the same as on Standard models. You may get better looking top, but that's just the looks.

bhurst462

Reaction score
I have owned two of the Slash models, and I would say they are on par with any of my Historic's. However, as always there are dogs in any line, whether it's USA or Custom shop, but again, based on my experience, fit, finish and tone, they are right there. I highly recommend them.

pillbug

Reaction score
I bought a husk from Stratosphere to build - anaconda aaa and it looks great, but probably not markedly different than a Standard.

There is also a thread somewhere detailing the differences (shortcomings) of the Victoria compared to an R7.

The only year that is regarded as Custom Shop / Reissue quality is the 2017 model I believe.

23adrock

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Slash AFD and it's my least favorite GLP. Looks killer but is uncomfortable to play and I've had it professionally set up on more than one occasion...

Last edited:

jrkhav

Reaction score
I’ve had several come through to flip at various points and they’re not much different than the new Standards. Certainly no difference in quality. A few really good, most are decent, some absolutely terrible.

Given the choice I would go R8 any day, I find them to be consistently better guitars. Not that there aren’t sometimes dogs in that line as well, but you’re far more likely to get a great guitar if you’re shopping for an R8 versus a USA.

Finnster

Reaction score
USA Slash models are very different from the Custom Shop Slash models in my experience.

Custom shop Slash models are very similar to R8/R9’s IMHO

Reaction score
I have a '21 Standard 60s and a '22 Slash (no, I'm not a big Slash fan either, although he is an awesome player.) I first bought it because of the killer looking top, but when I got it, I fell in love with the neck, the feel, and the sound out of the Slash buckers! I paid exactly the same price as I did for my 60s standard (asked for a discount, Sweetwater gave me one, before the price increase) I have never owned a custom shop but I can tell you this Slash model is my favorite guitar of any brand I've owned in last 45 years. You have to play one to really know what I mean. That being said, I love my 60's standard too and also have a '21 Tribute which is a killer "economy" priced Les Paul. The Slash is definitely the guitar I play the most. To me, it is perfect and I don't see how a custom shop could be that much better demanding a huge increase in price too?
287226930_545427630623961_1263039417754331665_n.jpg

Last edited:

23adrock

Reaction score
I have a '21 Standard 60s and a '22 Slash (no, I'm not a big Slash fan either, although he is an awesome player.) I first bought it because of the killer looking top, but when I got it, I fell in love with the neck, the feel, and the sound out of the Slash buckers! I paid exactly the same price as I did for my 60s standard (asked for a discount, Sweetwater gave me one, before the price increase) I have never owned a custom shop but I can tell you this Slash model is my favorite guitar of any brand I've owned in last 45 years. You have to play one to really know what I mean. That being said, I love my 60's standard too and also have a '21 Tribute which is a killer "economy" priced Les Paul. The Slash is definitely the guitar I play the most. To me, it is perfect and I don't see how a custom shop could be that much better demanding a huge increase in price too? View attachment 618153
wow that is a killer top

sonar1

Reaction score
When I got my first Slash Standard I thought it was indeed on a par with my 2013 R9.
I fell in love with the neck and midrange gronk.

Having had ‘50’s and sixties Standards: they are improved and are also now non weight relieved, etc.

I would buy another Slash Standard, above the regular Standards.
That’s just me. It’s the growl.

KiltedGuitarist

Reaction score
I have seen a few posts where people say things like the Gibson USA Slash model is as close to a custom shop as Gibson USA get and various other vague praises.

Since there are so many slash models made over the years, I'm not 100% sure which ones the comments are referring to, but from context I guess it is the newer 202x Slash collection.
Can anybody elaborate on
why these are so good? On paper, they don't seem remarkably better than a Standard?
are they far better than a Standard?
And stretching, but since used ones are close in price to a used R8, how do they compare to R8s?
I have to agree. I have a '21 Gibson USA Slash Standard in Anaconda Burst. It's my 5th Les Paul, including Standards, Traditionals and a Studio. The Slash is hands down above the rest as far as build quality and QC. First of all, it's heavy, over 10 lbs. The neck is hefty, which I like. The binding is the best I've seen, even compared to a few Customs I've seen. Not over or under scraped and tight all the way around. The fit and finish are again, just better than the rest of my collection. The board is super dark, the inlays are straight and don't stick out anywhere. The frets, while all are plek'd these days, are just better. They're smoother, no rough crowns or edges. The nut is perfect, nothing more to say about it. In a nutshell, the guitar is perfect. I imagine Gibson would want to ensure high quality if they're going to put Slash's name on it.

Last edited:

gball

Reaction score
I went a played a bunch and ended up buying a '50s Standard instead. Other than the gaudier tops and Slash logo thingy there was zero difference in quality or playability over the Standard. Tone is subjective, and I did like the sound of the pickups but they weren't anything radically different from the Burstbuckers in the Standard.

Mr French

Reaction score
I've lost count on how many Slash models Gibson has come out with but he was a big reason why Gibson was doing well when they created his lineup. Only Slash model I've ever played was a CS 2006 Tobacco burst that had the Piezo pickup.

It felt comfortable and sounded great but didn't make me drool.

Latest Threads