Slanted nut?

craigeymac

Reaction score
7B8FB99B-E6CE-4CFF-A712-06920E835358.jpeg
Just noticed the nut on my 87 Custom is higher on the treble side. Had the guitar 2 years and never noticed. Plays and sounds great but is this normal?

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Normal? No. But it looks like the slots are cut deeper on that side to compensate so other than visually, it should function the same.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
It looks like that nut might have been replaced at some point, those slots seem deep, as if the top of the nut has not been filed down enough, especially on the treble side.

craigeymac

Reaction score
Normal? No. But it looks like the slots are cut deeper on that side to compensate so other than visually, it should function the same.
It looks like that nut might have been replaced at some point, those slots seem deep, as if the top of the nut has not been filed down enough, especially on the treble side.
Thanks guys.
It functions fine and plays great. So the looks of the slant don’t bother me just wondered. It’s for playing after all which is why I’ve only just noticed it after 2 years

RRfireblade

Reaction score
You know, it's possible a heavy handed player tended to bend strings off the old nut and had a new one cut that way on purpose. Maybe.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
The top of the nut could be taken down to be level with the tops of the strings and that would make the nut look more level. But we are only talking about aesthetics, not function.

Phusion974

Reaction score
If it plays and sounds great then I wouldn't touch it.

Latest Threads