Slab-Strat with flame-top build for MLP member Crotch..

mistermikev

Reaction score
first off thank you for your service (it IS veterans day).
Second, congrats on marriage. As a 22+ year veteran of the institution I recommend you read my new book "Yes dear". It's basically 409 pages of that phrase repeated. It contains all acceptable answers to anything your (and my) wife has or will ever state/ask (hehe). Looks like you are off to an excellent start!
Finally, I really like that flame. The way it has sort of a chevron in the middle... I need one like that.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks..

She's smarter than me, so "yes dear" isn't an issue with me. I'm just damn better off just saying it.

Reactions: ehb

mistermikev

Reaction score
thanks..

She's smarter than me, so "yes dear" isn't an issue with me. I'm just damn better off just saying it.
"She's smarter than me" - and just like that the student has become the master ;)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are there two?

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll end up doing a video after completion for Dave to use for marketing if he so chooses........ Might have to get someone who can actually play though :band:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got some updates for @Crotch..

We've pattern-trimmed the excess and routed for pickups, neck and control cavity:

20181127_155048.jpg

With a new router that I took back to return. More on that later.

Lindy Fralin pups, harness and guard are lookin' pretty good on this:

20181127_155248.jpg

I bought a new Hitachi router out of necessity; I had purely wore out my old router. It became loose and sloppy, and wouldn't hold zero. Can't have that.

So I bought this new Hitachi, and after the edge pattern trimming and pickup rout, I took it back.

Simply put, I could not see the work when using it. Bad visual access where the bit meets the meat.

Would not recommend for others to buy. Also had no shaft lock, so two wrenches have to be used to change bits. That just sucks.

I bought a new Craftsman router, and I couldn't be happier, and more on that still later.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the parchment binding finally came in. They must have slow-walked across country to deliver it. I wasn't going to rout for the binding until I had the binding in hand, so I could do a few test routs and get the depth right, and make sure the thickness was good to go.

All is good, so we started routing for the double-sided binding:

(hey, the router lights up!)

20181204_130347.jpg

20181204_130400.jpg

Everything came out nice and clean, thanks to a great new router from Craftsman.

I used a straight half-inch bit with a 3/8" bottom bearing to give me a 1/16" rout for the binding.

20181204_131212 (1).jpg

Routed the back side. Can't forget that:

20181204_131718.jpg

And this is the new router.

20181204_131226.jpg

Best one out of all I checked out. And after that dumb Hitachi buy, I was really careful in my selection.

What's more, it cost less than all of them in the same class, a bit more HP @2.5 instead of the typical 2 1/4, and a lit up base that really came in handy for seeing the work.

Like most in this class, it has both a plunge base and a fixed base. Also has clear shields with a vacuum port for hooking up to a shop-vac for dust and chip removal when running.

It also has an electronically-controlled speed that determines what sort of wood hardness it's cutting, and can adjust speed to suit the work at hand.

Digital readout on top of the router.

Tomorrow I'll be gluing up the binding, and I'll post up pics of that operation.

Then I'll start posting pics of the neck work thus far.

Last edited:

The Ballzz

Reaction score
WOW, nice lookin' router. It's funny, in the old, old days craftsman was one of the best, but not so much since the late '70s. It would be interesting to know who made that one for them. Something about it just hints Bosch, but not sure. The light is way cool! And the build is looking great!
Either Way, Happy Dust Makin'!
Gene

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too damn cold to work outside, so we took it indoors.

Here, I've heated the binding with a heat gun to form around sharp curves, and we've glued the top binding all the way around.

20181206_151721.jpg

We glued the upper bout and horn on the right side of the body last night, then did the same thing this morning on the left side. Easier to control that way.

Tomorrow we'll glue the bottom edge binding..