Sippin' some bourbon

pnuggett

Reaction score
Had some 1792 full proof with my nieces husband a few days ago. Great!

1792 full proof bourbon review

Distillery: Barton
Type & Region: Bourbon, Kentucky, USA
Alcohol: 62.5%
Composition: 74% corn, 18% rye, 8% barley
Aged: ~7-8 years in virgin American white oak
Color: 1.3/2.0 on the color scale (russet, muscat)
Price: $50-60 MSRP
From the 1792 Barton website:
“Bourbon insiders have long acknowledged that full proof bourbon has a distinguished and rich flavor. This bourbon underwent a distinct filtering process,forgoing the typical chill filtration and passing only through a plate and frame filter. This allowed the bourbon to maintain a robust proof for bottling, as well as a full, rich and bold flavor. Bottled at its original 125 barrel entry proof, just as it was years ago when the barrels were first filled, 1792 Full Proof Bourbon is exceptionally distinct”
Company Website

Last edited:

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth between bourbon and scotch whiskey.

Just finished a bottle of GLENKINCHIE 12 YEAR SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY so looking for a good American bourbon to try (I'm a Hudson Baby Bourbon guy)

Seven

Reaction score
Was out picking up another bottle of Garrison Brothers and had to grab a six pack of this Texas made beer. :dude:

IMG_5174.jpg

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty happy with some pedestrian Crown. I do like some of the more expensive ones but I prefer quantity over quality!

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out the place down the street from me has Whiskey Wednesday (25% off bourbons) and Black Label Thursdays (50% off top shelf items).

I can't smoke cigars ... I mean I love them ... but they don't love me. I'll make the mistake and smoke one every so often when some one on the golf course has them in a nice humidor and a cutter handy. Gawd! They are so good. Then I feel like I was hit by a Mac truck the next day.

Anyways this place is a cigar bar. I love the smell, and I can take the 2nd hand smoke.

Seven

Reaction score
I found out the place down the street from me has Whiskey Wednesday (25% off bourbons) and Black Label Thursdays (50% off top shelf items).

I can't smoke cigars ... I mean I love them ... but they don't love me. I'll make the mistake and smoke one every so often when some one on the golf course has them in a nice humidor and a cutter handy. Gawd! They are so good. Then I feel like I was hit by a Mac truck the next day.

Anyways this place is a cigar bar. I love the smell, and I can take the 2nd hand smoke.

Man I would be dangerous with those specials running every week. :applause:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffalo Trace is my absolute favorite, but it's so hard to get where I live. I have an agreement with a buddy that whenever either of us sees some, we buy two bottles.

Lately I've enjoyed drinking the Kirkland Small Batch. You can do a whole lot worse for the money.
Yep, it's made by Barton's, good price too.

scott1970

Reaction score
Buffalo Trace is my absolute favorite, but it's so hard to get where I live. I have an agreement with a buddy that whenever either of us sees some, we buy two bottles.

Lately I've enjoyed drinking the Kirkland Small Batch. You can do a whole lot worse for the money.

It's very common around here....just like Blanton's used to be.

Tone deaf

Reaction score

Sounds like heaven.

I watched some show about Pappygate (employees stealing a sh*t ton of Pappy Van Winkle and other whiskeys from the Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey distilleries). Well one of the whiskeys was Eagle Rare. I was just at the liquor store looking at bourbon and they didn't have any Van product that I could find (which also means I never saw the price, so even if I found it, I might not have bought it). However, I did spot Eagle Rare. So, I grabbed a bottle.

I just opened it and poured my self a little. Great color. Nice and dark. The first whiff had some real strong smells of alcohol, but it seems to have gassed off and settled down. I don't know, but it may be from the same mash as BT with different aging (barrels, time sleeping, etc.).* I haven't had BT in years, but it is decent.

I'll have to do some more research before I form an opinion on this one.

*It all comes out of the still as 'white lightening.' What happens next has quite an impact.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
OK. So, I have made further scientific study of this bottle of Eagle Rare and I have concluded that it isn't bad. It reminds me of Basil Haden with maybe a slightly stronger kick in the pants.

I will note that it seems to be evaporating quickly...

Pal

Reaction score
Sounds like heaven.

I watched some show about Pappygate (employees stealing a sh*t ton of Pappy Van Winkle and other whiskeys from the Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey distilleries). Well one of the whiskeys was Eagle Rare. I was just at the liquor store looking at bourbon and they didn't have any Van product that I could find

This is pretty much the only place you'll find Pappy, my home
IMG_3450.jpg

Latest Threads