Single Cuts with maple necks made today?

dshea19

Reaction score
Are there companies making single cut guitars with maple necks today? I have a Tremonti SE Custom and it has a 3 piece maple neck. I really like it. Just wondering if any other companies are doing that today or is it down to getting LPs and LP copies from the 70s and early 80s?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Are there companies making single cut guitars with maple necks today? I have a Tremonti SE Custom and it has a 3 piece maple neck. I really like it. Just wondering if any other companies are doing that today or is it down to getting LPs and LP copies from the 70s and early 80s?
Well fender does it all the time with teles but I’m sure that’s not what you mean. I know that Gibson a few years ago had an entry level sg with a clear coated maple neck. Some got very flamey too. I know some epiphones (particularly acoustics) use maple necks. My dove pro does. If your neck is bolt on, you may be able to order one from warmoth without problems with some modifications. Any guitar specifically you’re looking for?

dshea19

Reaction score
Well fender does it all the time with teles but I’m sure that’s not what you mean. I know that Gibson a few years ago had an entry level sg with a clear coated maple neck. Some got very flamey too. I know some epiphones (particularly acoustics) use maple necks. My dove pro does. If your neck is bolt on, you may be able to order one from warmoth without problems with some modifications. Any guitar specifically you’re looking for?
It would be cool if someone was making a LP Custom style with a maple neck. The closest I have seen is the Wylde Odin series, but I am not a huge fan of the shape. Also, the bullseye, though cool, is not really for me. But really, any LP style might do. It would be cool to spec out a custom Agile, but it doesn't seem like they do that any longer.

ARandall

Reaction score
Talk to most Gibson buyers and the maple neck years represent a distinct lowpoint of specs.

Of course its fair to say practically every one of them would never have tried one, and they'd be equally ignorant of the fact that the top of the line acoustic is also a maple neck model.
But this is the typical buyer that Gibson bases its releases on.

On the upside there are quite a few builders here on this forum who could make something to your spec.....the Luthiers Corner have quite a few talented people in business.

VergDan

Reaction score
Out of topic but how is the tuning stability on your Tremonti SE? Does it have tremolo?

dshea19

Reaction score
Out of topic but how is the tuning stability on your Tremonti SE? Does it have tremolo?
Yup. I blocked the trem so I am not sure how stable it is when floating. You can't deck the trem the same way you can a fender. It is designed to float only. Since it is blocked, tuning is great. I am planning on getting locking Grovers in the future, but I am in no rush since I am not having tuning problems.
My biggest surprise was how nice the frets were. I was expecting them to be okay, but they are really well done. I got it from Wildwood guitars, so I don't know if they gave it some extra attention or not. Fender Mexico and Epiphone should take notes.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
If you are comfortable with routing, slight reshaping, and a bolt on neck (unless you’re froggy like me and decide to plug the holes and set the neck) you could get a warmoth regal body and either the paddle headstock or Gibson style headstock and get it done your way. I’ll come up with something and show some pictures.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
what colors would you like to match your maple neck and body?

dshea19

Reaction score
what colors would you like to match your maple neck and body?
I have always loved black Customs and Wine Red Customs. However, if my primary options are going to used guitars, preference might have to take a back seat. The History suggestion is looking really good. Might have to liquidate my 99 Parker Fly Deluxe to make something happen.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I have always loved black Customs and Wine Red Customs. However, if my primary options are going to used guitars, preference might have to take a back seat. The History suggestion is looking really good. Might have to liquidate my 99 Parker Fly Deluxe to make something happen.
Granted if you want exact Gibson look you’d have to change some shapes here but warmoth let’s you customize numerous neck and bodies to your preferences. This it what I got. I chose black inlays and plastics on the neck because I vintage tinted it and it reminded me of fender.
3BF659D3-8178-4897-A3A2-B71C12215C15.jpg
F3C6E48F-5CD4-4F02-92F9-B5AE185B4BFD.jpg
8B140324-0582-4600-8B34-4F54920A7D1B.jpg
9BD0B219-26C2-4013-87E8-79AA176B4BEE.jpg

currypowder

Reaction score
From around 2005 - 2011, the History GH-LC and GH-LCV Custom models had a 3 piece maple neck. Here's a GH-LCV from 2011 that sold in Japan recently for around $850.

dshea19

Reaction score

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think some ESP models do. I believe there are some Jackson eclipse models that do. Epiphone Zakk Wylde models might. The Wylde Audio models do. Schecter makes some.

dshea19

Reaction score
I think some ESP models do. I believe there are some Jackson eclipse models that do. Epiphone Zakk Wylde models might. The Wylde Audio models do. Schecter makes some.
Both Schecter and ESP are good options. My hesitation with them is the nut width and neck thickness for them. A little on the narrow and thin for me. I have been keeping an eye out for a Skolnick in my area, but I am betting those are rare. Both brands are great, though. If I find one I love, I can overlook some minor neck preferences. The Zakk Epi is a strong suggestion, but I would want to get my hands on one first. Wylde Audio is just not quite my aesthetic. If the cut away was shaped a bit different, maybe.

VergDan

Reaction score
ESP/LTD's thin U neck varies a lot. Some thin U neck are thicker and some are thinner. It's best if you can try one. It is a hair bit narrower though.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
How is the quality for the Chinese Tokais?
Ibanez, tokai, and various other brands made copies of dozens of sought after guitars back in the day. I know some you tubers I watch have used them over Gibson and fender. Greco is even a good option possibly.

Latest Threads