SIngle action truss rod in Lespaul, to glue or not to glue?

Mojomojo

Reaction score
Many seem to think that the truss rod should be able to somehow slide inside its slot, but Freddy from Freddy s frets is adamant it shouldn t.
He spreads Titebond on the rod and "sandwiches" it in the slot,
This sounds a bit counter intuitive to me but Freddy definitely knows what he s doing.
So how does that work?

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Many seem to think that the truss rod should be able to somehow slide inside its slot, but Freddy from Freddy s frets is adamant it shouldn t.
He spreads Titebond on the rod and "sandwiches" it in the slot,
This sounds a bit counter intuitive to me but Freddy definitely knows what he s doing.
So how does that work?
No. I never glue the rod in. The misunderstanding may be that I glue the side walls of the filler strip in to the mahogany over top of the rod and clamp it down real tight onto the rod, but the rod is just sandwiched in tight, not glued itself.

Colnago1

Reaction score
This is how rumours are started. Where did you hear that he is “adamant” about glueing them in?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is how rumours are started. Where did you hear that he is “adamant” about glueing them in?
Like I said. A misunderstanding. I think i may have said in one of my videos that I don't want the truss rod to move. But I meant i don't want it to be loose or rattle, but sandwiched tight. I didn't mean to imply that I glue the rod itself in.

Colnago1

Reaction score
Like I said. A misunderstanding. I think i may have said in one of my videos that I don't want the truss rod to move. But I meant i don't want it to be loose or rattle, but sandwiched tight. I didn't mean to imply that I glue the rod itself in.
Yes, I fully agree. It seemed as though the OP was insisting that you said it needs to be glued in. When that isn’t true in any case and I’ve never heard anyone say that.
Just wondering where he got his info on you to say that.

Colnago1

Reaction score
I don’t think that you would’ve implied that the rod itself would be glued in.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you know what? My video is totally misleading (I just checked it) . I must have been too caught up in the process of making the video at the time that I let that detail slip. My dad was helping me, and I described to him what operations we would be doing that day. I must have outlined that we glue the sides of the filler strip. But since I was filming and he was gluing he applied to glue to the walls of the slot in the mahogany instead of the way I would normally do it, by applying the glue to the filler strip instead. By applying the glue to the filler strip there is less risk of pushing the glue into the rod, instead it scrapes the squeeze out the other way.
Dumb mistake on my part. Luckily those rods worked properly in the end anyway.
Good catch Mojomojo!

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freddy says the rod should be welded into the slot, and then remaining space filled with epoxy, and then the whole neck sunk in a concrete form and encased In reinforced concrete

he is pretty much adamant about it!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Freddy says the rod should be welded into the slot, and then remaining space filled with epoxy, and then the whole neck sunk in a concrete form and encased In reinforced concrete

he is pretty much adamant about it!
Cheeky monkey! :slap:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! So I'm looking at my own youtube video and in the comments people are asking, and I was clearly replying that I do indeed glue the rod in. This is a bit disturbing to me that I don't have a consistency in my thought process or methods. Either that or I was ambivalent about the glue on the rod because it didn't cause me problems. All my truss rods worked.
Having said all that, I do just apply the glue to the filler strip and not in the slot lately.
Maybe I'm getting old and dementia is setting in....

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Freddy, why are you gluing that poor rod? haven't you done enough to it, with the peening and the threading and all that?

Mojomojo

Reaction score
Holy crap! So I'm looking at my own youtube video and in the comments people are asking, and I was clearly replying that I do indeed glue the rod in. This is a bit disturbing to me that I don't have a consistency in my thought process or methods. Either that or I was ambivalent about the glue on the rod because it didn't cause me problems. All my truss rods worked.
Having said all that, I do just apply the glue to the filler strip and not in the slot lately.
I m pretty much a beginner and ,after watching your videos several times, I decided to try the rod glueing method in my neck n 4. I thought If it works for Freddy then it should work for me. :rofl:
That was last week, it s still time to remove the filler strip and re-install the truss rod. No big deal.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I m pretty much a beginner and ,after watching your videos several times, I decided to try the rod glueing method in my neck n 4. I thought If it works for Freddy then it should work for me. :rofl:
That was last week, it s still time to remove the filler strip and re-install the truss rod. No big deal.
If the glue did happen to grab the rod just try tightening it and then loosen off the nut and tap the rod in. Like I said even with glue on the rod (which I now don't advocate) it didn't cause me problems.

Mojomojo

Reaction score
If the glue did happen to grab the rod just try tightening it and then loosen off the nut and tap the rod in. Like I said even with glue on the rod (which I now don't advocate) it didn't cause me problems.
Will do, thanks!

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes....the mockery is well deserved!

Just some fun. :)

You identify what you see as ambiguous or inaccurate info in your video, and your response is to make no excuses and simply own it, publicize the error, and to clarify your current practice.

Nuthin wrong with that.

Respect increased. :)

LtDave32

Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Freddy's videos are fantastic. A must-watch for anyone new to making a Les Paul, I learned tons of info from Freddy.

Also a must-watch is Scott's (ex- Nihilo) top-carving video. He illustrates certain mistakes first -timers so often make and shows how to avoid them. Watch that video.

Mojomojo

Reaction score
Freddy's videos are fantastic. A must-watch for anyone new to making a Les Paul, I learned tons of info from Freddy.

Also a must-watch is Scott's (ex- Nihilo) top-carving video. He illustrates certain mistakes first -timers so often make and shows how to avoid them. Watch that video.

Yes, I learned a lot watching Freddy s videos. I get back to them often when I m not sure how to something. Will watch Ex Nihilo s vid too, I m close to top carving time!

Latest Threads