Sin pickups, are they any good?

Elkoki

Reaction score
I did some google searches, most of the posts I found were pretty old, 2011-2012.. Most of these posts were complaining about the owner of the company.. No one really talks about their tone besides a few random comments saying "they're pretty good" but never anything else.

I checked out the Sin Pickups site and seen they're hand wound & made in the USA for t $60 each. I guess he's having a sale right now and has a few up for $25-30 bucks on Offerup. For the price I thought why not? and I ordered one, still waiting for it to arrive..

Anyone tried these pickups? Are they any good? I think the one I bought is called a "madman" which is a JB clone, with shipping it was $30, so i'm definitely curious what it'll be like.

fry

Reaction score
I’ve found them to be very good, especially for the money. I spoke about this in another thread. They are made by a guy named Chris Carter, he’s been around for a while, and has damaged his reputation some along the way. Seems to have run into personal problems from time to time, and falls off the grid, sometimes without delivering pickups people have paid for. He popped up again a few months ago, selling stuff on the reverb site. I bought two sets from him during this recent stretch, with no issues. He seemed to be doing very well, and getting a lot of good feedback. The last one he sent me was just a few weeks ago, and he told me he was putting everything on hold to go start chemotherapy. The reverb shop has had zero listings ever since and I really don’t know where things stand.

Elkoki

Reaction score
I’ve found them to be very good, especially for the money. I spoke about this in another thread. They are made by a guy named Chris Carter, he’s been around for a while, and has damaged his reputation some along the way. Seems to have run into personal problems from time to time, and falls off the grid, sometimes without delivering pickups people have paid for. He popped up again a few months ago, selling stuff on the reverb site. I bought two sets from him during this recent stretch, with no issues. He seemed to be doing very well, and getting a lot of good feedback. The last one he sent me was just a few weeks ago, and he told me he was putting everything on hold to go start chemotherapy. The reverb shop has had zero listings ever since and I really don’t know where things stand.
Thanks for the info.

I'm super excited to try the pickup I bought, and it was so cheap. I also checked his reverb and there's nothing there. He does have listings on the OfferUp app if anyone is interested. He has a couple different sets of pickups for $50 a set, amazing bargains if you ask me. If I had more money and more guitars i'd gladly buy more.

fry

Reaction score
I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. Wonder if he bailed on reverb due to the fees? Almost all his stuff is clones of popular pickups, but he would make you whatever you asked for. You could pick the bobbin colors, the magnets, the output you wanted, and two or four conductor wiring. I probably bought somewhere around eight pickups from him over the last 10 years or so. Everything was excellent, and they all sounded great.

Elkoki

Reaction score
I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. Wonder if he bailed on reverb due to the fees? Almost all his stuff is clones of popular pickups, but he would make you whatever you asked for. You could pick the bobbin colors, the magnets, the output you wanted, and two or four conductor wiring. I probably bought somewhere around eight pickups from him over the last 10 years or so. Everything was excellent, and they all sounded great.
It should arrive tomorrow, he shipped next day after I ordered. :)

Offerup is free to sell on locally but there's an option to sell & ship all over the U.S. Their fees are actually higher (around 10%) than Reverb's (3.5%). I'm just glad I got such a good deal :). I'm tempted to buy a set while they're still so cheap

Roxy13

Reaction score
I actually looked for them on Offer Up but didn't find anything. For those prices I'd sure be willing to give them a try.

scosmith

Reaction score
He is either losing money on the ones he is selling for $25~$30 or he is buying parts at very cheap prices.

Elkoki

Reaction score
Btw the pickup is pretty damn good. The model I ordered is "the madman" Chris says it's a JB copy. It seems to have a good amount of mids which I like for this guitar (swamp ash) . It's definitely a big improvement over the generic sounding stock pickup. It just has an overall richer, fuller sound. For $30 I cant complain.. Its well made & it arrived around 4 days after I ordered it, so that was cool . I'm satisfied. Hope to try one of his lower gain paf pickups and maybe a ceramic high gain one as well .

bigtone

Reaction score
I have a set of his 57 PAF's with alnico 3 magnets, I think they sound real good.

Roxy13

Reaction score
He is making me some PAFs with alnico 4s so I will report on them when they get here and I get them into a guitar.

Elkoki

Reaction score
He is making me some PAFs with alnico 4s so I will report on them when they get here and I get them into a guitar.
Cool, did he say how long it would take? I just ordered another pickup off him. He's building me a Seymour Duncan Custom clone, for $30. Pretty excited :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
Cool, did he say how long it would take? I just ordered another pickup off him. He's building me a Seymour Duncan Custom clone, for $30. Pretty excited :)
He said he would have them sent out on Monday, but I haven't checked the tracking yet.

EDIT: He did send them and they are expected to arrive Thursday.

Last edited:

Elkoki

Reaction score
He said he would have them sent out on Monday, but I haven't checked the tracking yet.

EDIT: He did send them and they are expected to arrive Thursday.
Did you get them? I received mine and I love it, I might post a clip later

Roxy13

Reaction score
Did you get them? I received mine and I love it, I might post a clip later
I did and they look great! I haven't decided which guitar they are moving into yet though! Either a Greco singlecut custom or a Burny Angus Young SG. I need to rewire like 5 guitars here and I think at the moment I only have 1 set of pots so I need to put in an order for a bunch and some caps too!

fry

Reaction score
Where you folks buying his stuff from now? He was on Reverb, and appeared to be doing a decent business on there. Then he disappeared. Told me he was off starting chemo, apparently moved on from that site. I'm looking for more pickups from him.

scosmith

Reaction score
I just purchased a set. Based on BKP mules 8.4 bridge A4 7.3 neck A4 double cream YEAH!!! 1/ 6th the price of BKPs. Workmanship is impecable. Chris is very communative and super fast shipping. Don't know how he sells at these prices. Maybe the other guys are overpriced?? Ha Anyway I would definately buy from him again....

I just started playing around winding pickups and I'm sure I could find cheaper parts than what I used but I had at least $30 in parts per pickup before putting covers on.

fry

Reaction score
Did you ever get these installed? Just curious. I went on and ordered a set from him last weekend. Hadn’t heard a thing until today when I received an email. Sale canceled, payment refunded. I’ve ordered from him over the years with no trouble, this is the first time this happened. I’ve heard that in the past some people got nothing, and no refund, so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Did you ever get these installed? Just curious. I went on and ordered a set from him last weekend. Hadn’t heard a thing until today when I received an email. Sale canceled, payment refunded. I’ve ordered from him over the years with no trouble, this is the first time this happened. I’ve heard that in the past some people got nothing, and no refund, so I guess I should consider myself lucky.
I tried them out in a guitar and am quite happy with them, but they are not permanently installed in anything right now. I'm rehabbing an old MIJ Edwards singlecut and if I decide to keep this guitar I think the Sin pickups will be perfect for it.

That's too bad you didn't get yours. I was thinking of ordering another set. I know it was posted that he is having chemo? Cancer would be a good reason to not be able to make any pickups :(

Latest Threads