Simple Things...(tweed and tape content)

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's all about the simple things. This:

StandardwSkattersnSpeeds.jpg

Plugged into this thing:

WEM_zpsged35rsv.jpg

Into this nasty little thing:

001Frontsmall_zps5ef6292b-1.jpg

Sounds like this:
SoundClick artist: splattle - page with MP3 music downloads :cool:

Which I reckon is a fairly smokin' blues and rock sound, if I do say so. It's nice to rediscover the simple things in life. :thumb:

All%20the%20Culprits_zpsvmkgqcnz.jpg

NYC LP player

Reaction score
I had to go back and see if I had hit the wrong link...that "Champ" is quite the amp. Is it your own mod or did you take it from somewhere else.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Splatt, absolutely killer!

The 5F1 and 5E3 are the pinnacle of amp circuit design.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had to go back and see if I had hit the wrong link...that "Champ" is quite the amp. Is it your own mod or did you take it from somewhere else.

It's mine, and it's not really much of a mod. Mainly it's a bigger cabinet (tweed Princeton) so it doesn't sound like it's screaming out of a shoebox, and a 10" speaker to let it reproduce some bass. The preamp is also voiced a tiny bit more toward the Marshall end of the spectrum than a stock tweed. The other mods are mainly about improved earthing to reduce noise.

It's really just a slightly more aggressive, slightly meatier 5F1. :D

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sounds great! Googled the Watkins Copicat and looked around a bit. Found a link on reverb for the exact unit that was used to model TC Electronics Alter Ego X4 delay. So maybe you just pumped up some sales for TC :)

https://reverb.com/item/904621-vint...id=pla&pla=1&gclid=CNXGhbv5v8cCFQqSaQodDicOSg

You can still find WEMs around if you're chasing a tape delay.

The main effect of the WEM on the sound clip above is to act as a clean boost. It's a preamp, as well as a delay. It's goosing the front end of the amp in a rather distinctive way. You can hear exactly this sound on a lot of Brit hard rock recordings from the late 1960s. It's a big, ugly distortion pedal...with a built-in delay. :cool:

moomtazz

Reaction score
You can still find WEMs around if you're chasing a tape delay.

The main effect of the WEM on the sound clip above is to act as a clean boost. It's a preamp, as well as a delay. It's goosing the front end of the amp in a rather distinctive way. You can hear exactly this sound on a lot of Brit hard rock recordings from the late 1960s. It's a big, ugly distortion pedal...with a built-in delay. :cool:

I figured it was something like that with the gain knob for each input. Do you know if the gain knobs were there for some innocent reason like recording quality, before someone figured out it sounded badass if they cranked it all the way up.

Splattle101

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The gain controls would have been to ensure the effected sound was the same loudness as the original signal.

Latest Threads