Silicon, Silicon/Germanium Hybrid, and Germanium Fuzzes

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I am entertaining building and selling some 2 and 3 Transistor Fuzzes in the style of the Fuzz Face and Tonebender MK II/Supafuzz. I am going to use the proceeds to fund a few gear purchases, notably either a Fender Tweed Blues Junior and Wolfetone Legends for my Epiphone 50s Standard.

The circuit boards are of my own design and while the implementation is not original from a design standpoint, some of the mods and tweaks were born out of my testing and breadboarding.

This is not a business for me and i won;t rake anyone over the coals AT ALL. I just want to gauge interest in the project as I'd like to sell them to forum members.

What say everyone at MLP? I imagine there will be 3-4 MK II/Supas for sale and 4 Fuzz Faces. I have to see what my Transistor stash is looking like and do some sorting.

smk506

Reaction score
Potentially interested. I love fuzz and it sounds like you have some cool ideas. It would be price/budget/model dependent for me. My gear fund runs warm and cold so timing is probably most important.

ezra1

Reaction score
I have a Super Electric Mkl and a MJM Mkll and they can sound great depending on the temperature, but on bad days I wish there was an easily accessible bias control

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Super Electric Mkl and a MJM Mkll and they can sound great depending on the temperature, but on bad days I wish there was an easily accessible bias control
Interesting that you say that.

I’ve been developing a dual ganged 100k Temperature Offset control external to the pedal. It’s meant to have a limited range so it won’t do the gated to undervoltage arcade thing but will allow you to dial back in your sweet spot if the temps go up. Conversely, it can help to increase the bias if things are too chilly.

Barefoot

Reaction score
I would be interested. I build pedals myself but I like “custom” stuff.
On a different not - I’ve recently been doing something similar, but Tweed Deluxe amps. It’s amazing how low the actual cost is to build compared to going to buy one. I haven’t run the numbers to the dollar, but ~$300 for the amp, another $100 (or whatever) for a speaker, and maybe $40 for a cabinet.

KStopper65

Reaction score
I haven’t run the numbers to the dollar, but ~$300 for the amp, another $100 (or whatever) for a speaker, and maybe $40 for a cabinet
Where are you sourcing your parts from?

Barefoot

Reaction score
Different sources. The most expensive parts are the chassis and the transformers. I saw a good deal on eBay for chassis’s and bought three. I bought two sets of transformers the same way. The turret board you can get pretty inexpensively most anywhere.
Pots, resistors, capacitors and all the other small parts can add up if you buy them one or two at a time. The places not to go to are the kit amp sites like mojotone. I did buy some caps there, but only because they look cool.

I really need to sit down and line item the parts out. I really feel like I’m over on my cost.

Barefoot

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the cabinet. If you buy one online you will end up paying around $300 alone shipped to your door. The materials that go into only cost a little over a tenth of that. That’s the cost that really kept me away for so long. I finally bit the bullet and decided to try to build my own. Not as hard as I thought it would be and you can save a lot.
Wood $15 - I also use some scraps that I have.
Handle $15
Tweed and speaker mesh $60 but there is enough for two cabs and some left over for cover small things
Cab feet $10 for three sets

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Potentially interested. I love fuzz and it sounds like you have some cool ideas. It would be price/budget/model dependent for me. My gear fund runs warm and cold so timing is probably most important.
Price is going to be kept reasonable. Parts plus my time and not much else. I’m trying to keep cost down so I can sell a few at less than $175 but targeting around $115 for Rangemaster, $140 for Fuzz Faces and $175 for Tonebenders.

If I can get my Wolfetones, My Princeton Reverb and a Student loan payment, I’ll be a happy camper.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so an idea I’ve had for a while went on the breadboard today. Essentially it’s a Supafuzz with a silicon Q1 setup and biased like you would a Rangemaster. Q1 is an old Amparex, Q2 and Q3 are old NPN General Electrics. Low volume tones rip.

I’ll try to shoot a video and post it up tomorrow.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was playing around and ended pulling the first transistor and going with a Fuzz Face type circuit. Input cap is 0.1 uf to tune it for humbuckers. Q2c is a little higher at 5.2 vDC. It has the Pre-Gain control on the input.

Sound you hear is through a SE EL84 amp with Drive around 2:00, Volume around 1:00, about 30k ohm of NFB, and presence control around 4:00. Fuzz Face has Fuzz maxed, Pre-Gain backed off to about 4:00 and Volume a hair above unity.

snowscientist

Reaction score
Possibly interested in MKII style tonebender or supafuzz. Post here what you end up building. The clip you have of Jeff Beck: Ain't superstitious is the sound i am seeking.

ezra1

Reaction score
This is one of the better ToneBenders that I have come across.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly interested in MKII style tonebender or supafuzz. Post here what you end up building. The clip you have of Jeff Beck: Ain't superstitious is the sound i am seeking.
I’ll have a very similar unit to the one I’m making @ezra1 available.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Took a great video and accidentally deleted it from my IPad.

snowscientist

Reaction score
I ended up ordering a random FX twin bender after watching Pete Thorn doing a demo. Sorry I got impatient on the tone quest, but I am off the list for your future pedal. I bet it will be a nice one though. Others should jump in here!

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to have a Silicon Fuzz Face available after I finish my current commission. I plan on using old NOS Amperex transistors.

ezra1

Reaction score
I bought one of these. I love it.
It is the quietest fuzz I own and the pre gain gets me Jeff Beck TRUTH.

Latest Threads