Signs of a 2019 fake?

filtersweep

Reaction score
A local guy has a 2019 LP on Craigslist for $1550. That seems low but I'm curious because if it's the real deal I'll pick it up. But I don't know enough about LP fakes to know what to look for and the photos he posted aren't detailed. Can any of you tell me what I should look for to tell fake from genuine?
Price is low? No. The seller lives in reality.... especially for a local sale.

There are loads of sites and vids for how to spot fakes. If you’ve never owned one, knob placement and horn shape/placement are obscure. So focus on frets/binding, TRC, and back of the headstock. Check the paperwork, the case, run the SN. This is CL. Plenty of sellers don’t actually post photos of the actual guitar they are selling. They are lazy and find ‘similar’ photos online.

juanpuol

Reaction score
You sure it is a '19? That looks to be a real plaintop for a Trad as I am pretty sure they were all AA tops. Can you show the Serial Number and a couple more pictures that aren't as blurry? I guess looking at it again, it could be an early '19. I am guessing the top is so plain that it explains the asking price. Personally, I would offer $1500 and jump at it.
My 2019 Trad. HCS flame is like that. It looks way flamier with a different light angle. Now, I picked mine because the other one they had was much more plane. So yeah, it seems ok to me

Stealthracer

Reaction score
I'd be all over that like a rash! It's my guess that if the photos were better, they'd be showing quite a nice flametop.

dasherf17

Reaction score
No but I tried. Turns out that he isn't local - 2.5 hours away. I was willing to meet him but he decided to trade it in at GC. :(

...aaand got less than what you'd be willing to give for it...unh! What dweebs (my opinion, gonna stick to it)....

thewonders

Reaction score
...aaand got less than what you'd be willing to give for it...unh! What dweebs (my opinion, gonna stick to it)....

I know, right? He said something about an acoustic, but I was surprised that he wanted to go the GC route. He would have been better off selling to me and taking that cash to CG for a deal.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Always struggled to understand why the hell someone that's trying to sell something would put up blurry photos?

JaxLPGuy

Reaction score
Sorry you lost it op, but I can attest that it was probably because there's a better one out there. I recently had several Les Paul's disappear out from under me but I found one that spoke to me even more and now it's in my hands.

moreles

Reaction score
Sorry you didn't get it. Good stuff moves fast on CL, full of impulse buyers and sellers. IMO, $1500 was an excellent price if the guitar was as clean as it appeared to be. Where I live, you never, ever get really clean Trads for $1500. On the opther hand, Traditionals are everywhere, and the improvement of current Gibson production may lead to even more offloading by those who want something new. Maybe the proce will drop, or you'll have to pay $200 more.

Latest Threads