Signs of a 2019 fake?

thewonders

Reaction score
A local guy has a 2019 LP on Craigslist for $1550. That seems low but I'm curious because if it's the real deal I'll pick it up. But I don't know enough about LP fakes to know what to look for and the photos he posted aren't detailed. Can any of you tell me what I should look for to tell fake from genuine?

jskidder

Reaction score
I don't think the price is all that low, would be pretty normal if it weren't for the current surge in used Gibson prices at the moment. The guitar is from early 2019 before the changeover to the Original/Modern series, so it's not as generally well-regarded as the later 2019 and on guitars. The Traditional from that model year was more or less what became the 50s Standard, and private sellers tend to get somewhere in the $1800 range for those used on Reverb. If you subtract the cut Reverb & Paypal take and the hassle of shipping, getting $1550 probably works out better for the seller and they get a quick sale. Seems like a win all around to me.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an earlier '19, before the "Original Series" replaced the Trad in April.
Seems a bit low, but the '19 Classic's retailed for $2k, so it's not "too good to be true" low.

thewonders

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I haven't kept up on the different models Gibson has put out in the last 30 years (or Fender for that matter). When I saw the head stock I misread the model as "Professional", which I believe was made in the early 70s. That's part of why I was questioning it as legit but now I've read up a little on the Traditional ( thanks to @tzd for the link) and I'm going to try and see it tomorrow.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
You sure it is a '19? That looks to be a real plaintop for a Trad as I am pretty sure they were all AA tops. Can you show the Serial Number and a couple more pictures that aren't as blurry? I guess looking at it again, it could be an early '19. I am guessing the top is so plain that it explains the asking price. Personally, I would offer $1500 and jump at it.

Sinster

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I haven't kept up on the different models Gibson has put out in the last 30 years (or Fender for that matter).
I use to keep up, but gave up after 2015... maybe I'm older or just feel the prices of guitars are getting crazy (IMHO).

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You sure it is a '19? That looks to be a real plaintop for a Trad as I am pretty sure they were all AA tops. Can you show the Serial Number and a couple more pictures that aren't as blurry? I guess looking at it again, it could be an early '19. I am guessing the top is so plain that it explains the asking price. Personally, I would offer $1500 and jump at it.
I don't think it's a plaintop, I think those are just poor photos. Look at the first one again. I bet that top has lots going on if you captured it right.

thewonders

Reaction score
The photos are from the seller. I asked for more/better photos but he hasn't posted any yet.

PageSide84

Reaction score
The number one thing to look for is a misspelling on the headstock. If the words aren't spelled correctly, it's likely not a Gibson.

JMP

Reaction score
Seems like a fair deal on a solid Les Paul. If you’re in the market, definitely worth considering.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Fair but not a great deal. Watch the classifieds here and the Gear Page for a long time and you'll see much better flame tops for the same amount and shipped.

Latest Threads