Signature Models

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I was just thinking about the Eric Johnson Strat again today. The '54 really piques my curiosity but I don't think I can justify the price until I'm not a hack.

Last edited:

hbucker

Reaction score
The EVH guitars are their own animal, which for me is different than a signature Strat, Tele or LP. These are just variations on a theme.

I'm not impugning these traditional variations, but pointing out the "signature" features of these guitars can be a lot more subtle. And sometimes not worth the extra price paid. That just depends on the individual.

I'm glad all of these products are available. More options are never a bad thing, IMO.

blouie

Reaction score
The one that excites me is the Kirk Douglas Signature SG - it's unique enough that it seems worth it (and for what I can hear on videos, it really sounds amazing).

The only signature guitar I have is a EBMM JPX (Petrucci). Ultimately, I'm a Les Paul guy but the JPX is quite amazing.

darkvoice

Reaction score
There are also different levels of greed attached to signature models. It's one thing when Epiphone makes Joe Bonamassa model and charges extra $100 vs similar common model, but it's totally different story when manufacturers add hundreds of dollars to their signatures.

renatolevanteze

Reaction score
It really depends on the sig model.

Some models are pretty unique:
- Gibson Johnny A.
- Wolfgang (EVH, Peavey and MM, even though they gave birth to the Axis and the HP2)
- Fender Jagstang (only semi-original).

Some have unique features in a common shape, which are more serious mods:
- Fender EOB Strat (sustainer)
- Gibson Buckethead Les Paul (baritone)

Some are inspired by models that don't exist anymore in their original form:
- Ibanez Joe Satriani (originally Ibanez Radius series)
- Ibanez Paul Stanley series (no other iceman available).

Some have indissociable aesthetics, that really drive some people off:
- Zakk Wylde
- Steve Vai
- Tony Iommi
- Paul Gilbert PGMs

Some are cheaper being a signature than the original model
- BB King Lucille x ES-355/ES-345

I own a few signature models, some are garish (Ibanez PGM), some could easily be modded to look normal, and keep some special wiring or neck shape (Jimmy Page Les Paul).

The EOB strat is one model that I think is pretty cool. A unique strat that is plain white, with a barely visible signature. It could as well be called the sustainer strat. Same goes for most signature strats I think.

Renato

Joeallev972

Reaction score
I picked up a Slash Anaconda burst LP not long ago but i think im ready to let it go already.

hbucker

Reaction score
I had the Peavey Wolfgang. I think I like the MM better.
Pickups in the EVH are better, IMO. Probably the best stock pickups I've ever played. Wish they were available to buy from Dimarzio.

Wolf body is more comfortable. Necks are very different, but are both great, IMO. I probably prefer the PV Wolf neck to the Fender Wolf neck.

martin H

Reaction score
Generally because:

[1] Modern marketing practice requires a constant stream of "new" models, and it's hard to wring that many changes out of the same Les Paul/Strat/Tele template.

[2] They command premium prices, but often don't cost much more to manufacture .

[3] In my (cynical) opinion, there has been a substantial shift in the attitude of guitar players in the last 40 years from the idea that playing skill is of primary importance towards the idea that "tone" is the most important factor. This leads directly to "signature guitars" "signature amps" etc.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I’ve bought a lot of signature models through the years. Some as investments, some because I like the artist, the look or the specs or as a combination of any of the above.

I don’t understand the snobbery some people have for them. Every one I’ve acquired ( with a couple of exceptions) have been good to great players. There are some I’ve bought for their looks that I’ve gutted to change to my specs.

I do have one rule though. If you are going to stand up on a stage and play an EVH striped model, a Fender SRV, a Zakk Wylde Les Paul or something like that you sure as hell better be able to rock that guitar as well as the guys who’s name is on it. :dude:

no jimmy p

Reaction score
I've just noticed, I'm sometimes slow, that there's been an absurd number of signature model guitars announced lately by all of the major manufacturers. Wassup?

money grab ...

Joeallev972

Reaction score
I just started buying guitars recently after not buying any since 1982. Sure are a lot of Sigs available. Unless you order from Sweetwater which hasn't had many for a while.

lead

Reaction score
I have an angus sg, the thin neck is to my fat little hands a bonus for playability big differance compared to my other sg.

Joeallev972

Reaction score
I have an angus sg, the thin neck is to my fat little hands a bonus for playability big differance compared to my other sg.
I have a SG Modern on order, cant wait to get that one. I like the 60's necks personally.

zdoggie

Reaction score
alll of the LP that came out s sig models I find to be very instresting ,of all the LP built since about 83 I thiks the that run of sig's were some of their best work to date the pearly gates ,don Felder and a whole slew of other artists I personally owe a don felder unsigned sn# df ooooo1 and it is truly a spectacular guitar to say the least.
zdog

Latest Threads