Sigil vs ReWind?

TheZookeeper

Reaction score
I've been going through a bunch of videos on YouTube lately in search of a winder whose pickups I like and would use in the LP I've been building. I've narrowed down my choices to two winders, both of them active here and both of them make pickups that have really impressed me- Sigil and ReWind.

Does anybody here have experience with both? How well do they compare in terms of articulation, note separation, note bloom etc.? I can tell both winders put a lot of attention to detail into their pickups, but I'm just wondering how well they stack against each other and against real/ideal PAF characteristics.

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, I have not played any real PAF's. But I do have pickups from both, and also a number of other winders. Each winder seems to have their own take on the aspects of the wind they want to be front and centre, but the best winders each have a good portion of the tonal aspects I hear on the best isolated PAF recordings. The set I have from ReWind is the PAF 1, but an early/demo set where the wire was oversized seemingly. It reads lower k than the production set, and seemingly retains more clarity than the reports of the typical tone from the production set. They are full bodied in both positions, but mine don't get congested.
The Sigil set is a rare beast - as it uses a spool of 1957 era wire. And he recreated a 1957 pickup he owns using that material.....the Bluesman Roots 57 limited edition. This set reads high on the K scale, but for all that they are open and stinging......more like a punchy Tele or indeed and early (mid 60's) T-top.

Its sort of hard for me to pin it down more accurately than that, as both sets are actually out of guitars atm - they are both waiting for me to make them their new homes.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
I have a set of ReWind Hot Koss pickups. I was worried at first spending so much on a set of pickups but they were well worth it. The neck pickup is amazing; sounds just like Koss. I was so happy the first time I plugged it in and heard it. James at Rewind knows his stuff and is an incredibly great dude. He would respond quickly to my late night emails (which is nice when you don't get off work until midnight). He also made me a wiring harness to go with the pickups which allowed him to make all the values and such just right.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I don’t have both, but I have a set of Rewind low outputs.

I have some nice guitars, and am not a tinkerer by nature, but these were well-worth the money.

As a low output pickup, there is plenty of note separation, articulation, and bloom- as there should be.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Hey, figured I'd pipe up. You have me in good company and to be honest, its flattering to be in the running with ReWind for tonally outfitting your guitar.

When I first started winding there was a lot more to it than I expected and James was one of the most helpful people in getting me spinning in the right direction. He helped me through a few snags and I'm very grateful for that.

He's a good guy but even if he wasn't, his pickups are outstanding. I had a few sets go through my guitars long before I thought about winding and they were top tier. If I recall, I had his JP sets and the only reason I sold them off back in the day was to buy and try something else. I trialed a LOT of stuff but eventually had to try my hand at the craft.

Logistically, he's US based and Sigil is in Canada so that may have some bearing. I've not heard of people incurring import fees but cant say it wont happen. Were also experiencing a postal strike that may impact delivery time but again, havent seen any real delays yet.

We both wind pickups we're proud of and both swear by our products and offer rock solid promises on quality. You cant go wrong either way.

I do offer an exchange policy if they're not to your liking but have only had one set returned for exchange in my 5 years winding.

We're both here with intent to get people the tone they want and we both have a proven track record.

B5Erik

Reaction score
Hey, figured I'd pipe up. You have me in good company and to be honest, its flattering to be in the running with ReWind for tonally outfitting your guitar.

When I first started winding there was a lot more to it than I expected and James was one of the most helpful people in getting me spinning in the right direction. He helped me through a few snags and I'm very grateful for that.

He's a good guy but even if he wasn't, his pickups are outstanding. I had a few sets go through my guitars long before I thought about winding and they were top tier. If I recall, I had his JP sets and the only reason I sold them off back in the day was to buy and try something else. I trialed a LOT of stuff but eventually had to try my hand at the craft.

Logistically, he's US based and Sigil is in Canada so that may have some bearing. I've not heard of people incurring import fees but cant say it wont happen. Were also experiencing a postal strike that may impact delivery time but again, havent seen any real delays yet.

We both wind pickups we're proud of and both swear by our products and offer rock solid promises on quality. You cant go wrong either way.

I do offer an exchange policy if they're not to your liking but have only had one set returned for exchange in my 5 years winding.

We're both here with intent to get people the tone they want and we both have a proven track record.
James is, indeed, a good guy, and extremely friendly and helpful. He'll help you out with info regardless of whether you're buying from him or not (although I do recommend buying at least one set of ReWind pickups).

Sigil? Never tried them. I certainly wouldn't mind! My problem now is too many pickups, and not enough guitars to put them in!

I need about 4 or 5 more guitars to try all the pickups I want to try. (And then I'd want to try another 4 or 5...) I'm constantly looking for pickups that give each of my guitars a unique tone. So far, so good. No two of my guitars sound exactly the same, and when I'm done even the two that sound the most similar (my two Japanese made Epiphone Elite Les Pauls) will sound significantly different from each other.

But I've got two sets of ReWind pickups (a set of slightly overwound PAF-1's, and a set of his Super Distinctions), two Guitarforce bridge pickups (Superstar and Rebelfire), a Wolfetone Marshallhead bridge pickup, a set of Vineham 6070's - and those are just the ones from the independent winders! Yes, I'm addicted to pickups...

I cannot recommend going with the independents highly enough.

Stuff

Reaction score
Another +1 for Sigil Pickups. I've also got a set of his limited Roots pickups in my Custom, and I can't say enough good things about them. They've got all the articulation and note separation that I could have hoped for, and they totally transformed that particular guitar.

Not only are they great pickups, but David is really great to deal with every step of the way.

I've no experience with ReWind myself. I haven't personally seen anyone ever have a bad word to say about their pickups or service. Whichever way you decide to go, you're going to get a great set of pickups.

BlueCajun

Reaction score
I've had one set of pickups from Sigil (Black Magic) and two sets from Rewind (Very Low Output and Creme Brulee) plus a couple of wiring harnesses from Rewind. Both guys make excellent pickups/harnesses and both have outstanding customer service and stand by their products. You really cannot go wrong either way.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
James @cooljuk at ReWind has answered most of my stupid questions far and above my expectations. I bought pots and caps and entrusted him to rebuild a dead 1973 T-Top out of my Lester.

From what I have read here at the MLP you cannot go wrong with either one.

AJK1

Reaction score
I've been going through a bunch of videos on YouTube lately in search of a winder whose pickups I like and would use in the LP I've been building. I've narrowed down my choices to two winders, both of them active here and both of them make pickups that have really impressed me- Sigil and ReWind.

Does anybody here have experience with both? How well do they compare in terms of articulation, note separation, note bloom etc.? I can tell both winders put a lot of attention to detail into their pickups, but I'm just wondering how well they stack against each other and against real/ideal PAF characteristics.
So, now that you've had plenty of response, what are you going to buy ?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I don't know about that ReWind guy. I hear he moved out into the desert and goes on solo adventures in the mountains, talking to his dog and fishing in top secret lakes. I even hear he likes Telecasters! Sounds shady to me. :dunno:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that ReWind guy. I hear he moved out into the desert and goes on solo adventures in the mountains, talking to his dog and fishing in top secret lakes. I even hear he likes Telecasters! Sounds shady to me. :dunno:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was that babduction what did it....

Ain't been the same since...

:cool2:

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
We could split it up? I'll get the screw coils and neck magnet, David gets the slug coils and bridge magnet. We can flip a coin for steels and baseplates. :dunno:

Lets do it!

Rumor: I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy in this forum who has my HG Vintage neck matched up to a ReWind Lo Wind Bridge and says it's a beautiful thing...

Latest Threads