Siblings you refuse to be around...

Deftone

Reaction score
One brother 1.5 years older, one sister 1.5 years younger. We all get along pretty good. Just saw them both last month, it was fun, lots of laughs.

Bro has owned an early 70's LP Deluxe since the 80's.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm oldest of 4 children. I left California for "career opportunity" 2 years after college. 40 years ago. (also, to "get out from under my Dad's "thumb".) But the family has always been pretty close. They've all had careers of their own, children, divorces, re-marriages, etc. We stay in semi-contact, and visit when possible.

My favorite day, ever, of my life was spent hanging out with my sibs and their spouses, just wandering around in Kona, Hawaii. We (some of us) got tattoos together. We (a few of us) scored some Maui Wowie together. We ate and drank together. And we mostly just spent unstructured time, hanging out and telling stories. Really, a memory that will hang with me forever.

Love my family. But I had the life I wanted, and managed to escape California. That worked for me. And I didn't have to lose any part of "Family" - just had to make distance work.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me feel lucky I'm an only child after reading some of these stories.

mdubya

Reaction score
I could write a novel. Might do, someday.

I started taking care of my Mom 6 years ago, now.

My brother and sister are full of priceless advice and criticisms, but no help. Matter of fact, my sister actively works against me and has alienated me from her entire wing of the family and does her best to bad mouth me to the extended family and friends network, too. What a peach she is.

Once mom is gone, I will probably stay in touch with my brother, from a distance. My sister is as good as dead to me. Her doing, not my choice.

Dad, one brother, and one sister are already gone. I had great relationships with each. Guess who sent them to their graves with a grudge? Just that one sister. She tries to act like everything was great with them, now that they are long gone. But we all know.

BigJim

Reaction score
My sister is my best friend.
She keeps me on my toes, backs me when I need support, was there for me many times over the years, still is today...

She knows me better than anyone on this planet, we have shared a lot of crazy experiences over the years....

ns2a

Reaction score
I have one sister. We get along ok I guess but live different lives. There’s some conflict with her and her kids and my wife. And my kids. Ugh.

I think once my dad is gone we will never see them.

The only issue is - I think- is I was a father figure to my nieces (their dad is a POS) and when I had my own kids they felt left out.

SIGH

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I could write a novel. Might do, someday.

I started taking care of my Mom 6 years ago, now.

My brother and sister are full of priceless advice and criticisms, but no help. Matter of fact, my sister actively works against me and has alienated me from her entire wing of the family and does her best to bad mouth me to the extended family and friends network, too. What a peach she is.

Once mom is gone, I will probably stay in touch with my brother, from a distance. My sister is as good as dead to me. Her doing, not my choice.

Dad, one brother, and one sister are already gone. I had great relationships with each. Guess who sent them to their graves with a grudge? Just that one sister. She tries to act like everything was great with them, now that they are long gone. But we all know.
Hey Pal, don't fucking steal my story, make a few minor changes and post it as your own, asshole!

;)

Same here.
The oldest sister had always been an ass but I thought it was under control.
When my Mom started to get sick with dementia and I had to pick up the ball and run with it,
older sister actually worked against me at the Care facility even though I was named
"in charge of her and anything medically related" by my Mom before she was sick.
Older sister did not "believe" that Mom was that sick, that any change in her routine could
be devastating and set her back and she would take Mom out for a few days a week and then
Mom would be kind of lost and crazy for 4 days and then calm down, in time for O.S. to take her back
to her place for a few days "vacation"... Eventually she stopped, I guess the perspective of changing
the diapers was kind of a reality check.
It was a constant fight for years. Medication, meals, you name it.
My other sister is a sweetie and we get along very well.
Thank God we were there for each other. I saw the Evil Sis only when I had to (Mom related)
and since Mom died I have no more reasons to talk to her or see her.
In my head it was "Bye Bye Sis, have a nice life". I didn't even tell her as much.

To anyone out there living through nonsense because of a fucked up sibling:
You have a choice!
The old saying: "You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family" is not true.
You can choose your family. You can choose yourself too.
Be sane.

:thumb:

parts

Reaction score
Also an ONLY CHILD..never missed having siblings to fight with !

I Break Things

Reaction score
I don't have any animosity towards any of my siblings. The youngest of the three is very disconnected though. He doesn't have much to do with the family, even when we try to include him. The long distance doesn't help matters.

scott1970

Reaction score
I'm taking off from work today to paint with my brother. Gonna be real hot and rough.

He'll have a nice house when it's done if the stress don't kill him first. He has nineteen acres and cut a really long driveway into it and cleared a large section. He built a separate garage with an upstairs to it. The house has really nice sized front and back porches. The interior has ten foot ceilings and eight foot doors. The ten foot ceilings are a real pain to paint.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
My little brother is 13 months younger than me, my older brother is 14 months older. My "little" brother and I see eye to eye on most things and enjoy most of the same things. My "big" brother has gone full retard and we don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything.

We were all close growing up and shared common friends growing up, but life has spread us out over the years. We've all been successful in different careers and have our own families and we don't get together all that much any more. We were all together in Austin las week for my Dad's memorial service and my Mom made us promise not to discuss politics. We all got along fine and had a good time together. Had we discussed politics or the disease that shall not be named, things would have gotten bloody.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
My little brother is 13 months younger than me, my older brother is 14 months older. My "little" brother and I see eye to eye on most things and enjoy most of the same things. My "big" brother has gone full retard and we don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything.

We were all close growing up and shared common friends growing up, but life has spread us out over the years. We've all been successful in different careers and have our own families and we don't get together all that much any more. We were all together in Austin las week for my Dad's memorial service and my Mom made us promise not to discuss politics. We all got along fine and had a good time together. Had we discussed politics or the disease that shall not be named, things would have gotten bloody.
Some may not have heard the expression for siblings being 13 months apart, referred to as “Irish Twins”.

revtime

Reaction score
They say to be happy eliminate the toxic people from your life. It sucks when the toxic people are your family.
I have really good friends to make up for it.

scott1970

Reaction score

Herpes?

scott1970

Reaction score
I'm getting old. I spent an hour weeding the garden and eleven hours running a roller and climbing a ladder, and I can feel it this morning.

Speaking of gardening...if any of y'all have one you got to look into getting a stirrup hoe. It's the finest garden instrument ever designed, and I only learned of it a few days ago.

scott1970

Reaction score
During the last four days I put in forty-three hours of painting. Between having no air conditioning and spending so much time on a ladder due to ten foot ceilings, I'm pooped. But, I've been sleeping well!

Latest Threads