Siblings you refuse to be around...

scott1970

Reaction score
If you're in this kind of toxic relationship take a moment to consider how fortunate you are. I get along great with my brother, and because of that I spent eleven hours yesterday helping him prime all the sheetrock in his new house he's building. Just drinking coffee this morning hurts. If you have a brother or sister you've avoided for years, take a moment this morning to be grateful.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Timely posting for me. I’m currently down near Charlotte, NC. for my nieces grad party (HS). The daughter of my only brother. Kids and wife had other obligations and couldn’t make it this weekend, so I drove it alone from NE Ohio yesterday and headed back today. Haven’t gotten together much over the years because of the distance and both of us busy raising kids.
“Life gets in the way sometimes” is probably an apt way to put it. But family time is always worth it. So glad that I made the trip.

fry

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you get along great with your brother, that sucks. It will get better, hang in there! Seriously, I only have one sibling, a brother. It’s been a little rocky from time to time. Living a couple hours away is a good thing, close enough, but not too close.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused by the OP. Anyway I get along pretty great with all four of my sisters, though at times I don't see one or two of them for a very long time. We celebrated my dad's 70th birthday yesterday, and my poor little sister with cancer actually made it over to our house and got some pictures with her little niece (my 21 month old daughter). I'm very thankful for any time I have with my sisters at this point.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The older of my two sisters, the middle child. Very nosey, and very judgmental. She like to cause division between the rest of the family members.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
my brother lives about 4 states away,so we dont see each other much.we get along good though,always have.

DJGranite

Reaction score
I've seen my sister once in 30+ years at my mothers funeral ... I'm OK with that.
We have different values.

My brother lives 15 minutes away, he can be a dick, so can I.
We see each other fairly often.
Worked together 2 days last week.
When he does something dickish I ignore him for a few months until it bothers me less.
I've managed not to do dickish things the last 30 years or so.
I call it personal growth, some of us have more of it than others seem to.

Last edited:

dave b

Reaction score
My younger brother lives 1800km away, and has for over 30 years. Our kid brother died 40 years ago. We keep in touch by Skype regularly, and usually manage to get together every 2-4 years. We've always got on, even though we're now two very different people than what left home 40+ yrs ago. It's only him, mom and I left, so pretty soon he'll be the only family I've got left. Glad I have a good relationship with him and his wife.

six-string

Reaction score
I have 5 siblings. We all live far apart. Different cities, Different countries, different continents!
Most of them I have not seen in close to 20 years.
Last one I saw was a sister about 2 and half years ago.
We don't write. We don't exchange cards, emails, gifts etc.

I learned after many years of feeling used, abused, neglected, scape-goated, lied to and generally treated like crap, that not being involved with my siblings and not having them involved in my affairs was much better for me.
I do have lots of good friends. I am very generous with my time and energy.
Always happy to help someone out doing odd jobs, fixing stuff, moving things etc.
Nice when they appreciate it and show a little thanks or gratitude and reciprocate once in a while....something my siblings never did.

aren't you glad you asked?

Spartom

Reaction score
If you're in this kind of toxic relationship take a moment to consider how fortunate you are. I get along great with my brother, and because of that I spent eleven hours yesterday helping him prime all the sheetrock in his new house he's building. Just drinking coffee this morning hurts. If you have a brother or sister you've avoided for years, take a moment this morning to be grateful.
Hey, if you ain’t getting hit up for money, or getting a phone call every once in a while that starts with “this is a collect call from Red Onion state prison…” I’d say you’re doing all right.

Take some Advil ya old git :laugh2:

Roxy13

Reaction score
My sister is a nutcase and anytime I am with her is pretty miserable for me. She wants to start constant arguments over idiotic things. I got my niece a guitar last spring so that's the last time I saw my sister. She kept insisting my truck was not 17 years old (now it's 18) and refused to accept the regisration as proof. Then she started screaming at me that I should not have sold my previous truck (which has been gone since 2005 and if it is still on the road is now 28 years old lol). Then she said I was full of shit and never had a Mustang (I had it for 5.5 years and drove it to her house several times). Then she accused me of stealiing a viola from her when she was in college. When she was in college I either was as well or I was living on the other end of Ohio. I certainly never stole anything from her.

So that is what it's like to be around my sister and quite honestly if I never had to see her again I don't think I would mind at all.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
My sister is a nutcase and anytime I am with her is pretty miserable for me. She wants to start constant arguments over idiotic things. I got my niece a guitar last spring so that's the last time I saw my sister. She kept insisting my truck was not 17 years old (now it's 18) and refused to accept the regisration as proof. Then she started screaming at me that I should not have sold my previous truck (which has been gone since 2005 and if it is still on the road is now 28 years old lol). Then she said I was full of shit and never had a Mustang (I had it for 5.5 years and drove it to her house several times). Then she accused me of stealiing a viola from her when she was in college. When she was in college I either was as well or I was living on the other end of Ohio. I certainly never stole anything from her.

So that is what it's like to be around my sister and quite honestly if I never had to see her again I don't think I would mind at all.
Same.

I have two sisters, both pretty crazy, but our older sister is unbareable to be around. She's 6 years older then me (I'm the middle child), and is totally bat-shit crazy (bi-polar, amonst a few other things).

The age-gap is one thing, but she also likes to steal, start arguments, and is realy toxic. I quit talking to her about a year ago, bc she, and her on/off again boyfriend (who is much older than her) decided to "steal" a guitar (2003 MIM Fender Splatter Strat) from our uncle (who also happens to be severly schyzo/paranoid) that I sold to him a few years ealier, with the intent on buying it back later on.

When I questioned her about it, shew blew the fuck up on me, and at that point, I was done with her.

Didn't help that all of this happened while our granmother was dying in a nursing home, and actually told her, on her deathbed, to give the guitar back to him.

My relationship with our younger sister (2 years younger than me) is much better. Talk to her almost every day, as she lives in Cali, but we're definitely much closer. Still crazy, but definitely more tollerable.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
One of my brothers moved to California years ago then divorced his wife. He broke most of his family's ties. He did not attend his daughter's HS graduation or his son's college Graduation. He doesn't contact my other brothers, we don't know what happened or why and his ex is not talking. :hmm: He is making very good money out west.

I called him a few times, he didn't want to talk much and he did not return calls. He had two email addresses, one for junk and one for personal and business matters. When I asked for the 'good email address' he said "I do not give that out."

I live in the old family home, if he comes back he will not be staying at my house. He will not even get through the door.

Irish Alzheimers: When you forget everything but the grudges.
:sadwave:

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to just ignore the evil sister, but last year she started getting pushy about things. I finally had to block her calls and texts, so she went to email. I explained to her that I don't like her, and that she needed to leave me alone. She lost it. She's not used to people saying no to her. She loves going back to 1976 and blaming me for deserting our family and never coming home. I joined the Navy, and went out and became an independent adult. That wasn't my home anymore. Sounds simple, but when my mom died my sister freaked. Things became my fault. I plan to never see her again.

Latest Threads