Show Your Gibson Acoustics (2020 Edition)

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
It's been in the back of my mind for quite a while now that this thread should exist in this subforum, but I've never seen one pop up. A search did reveal two that haven't been posted in since I joined the forum, so that explains why I've never seen them. One was active from 2007-2010 and the other from 2011-2012.

I was getting ready to necrobump one of those, but decided to create a fresh one instead since it's been 8 years or so and they're both littered with dead image links. If mods think it makes more sense to merge them, then I totally understand.

So... let's see what you've got in 2020!

I'll get it started with my quartet. I have a thing for natural-topped acoustics, so admittedly not much variety there, but I do enjoy the tonal variety of having different body shapes and sizes. I've been meaning to make a video showing the difference in sound between the four of them, so maybe this will push me into actually doing that.

1943 LG-3 -- 1957 J-200 -- 1962 Country Western -- 1968 Dove

Last edited:

RocketKing

Reaction score
Haven't played acoustics for a long time... But you've got a sincerely marvelous collection.
I love the dove model in particular

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Haven't played acoustics for a long time... But you've got a sincerely marvelous collection.
I love the dove model in particular
Thank you!

I went through a phase from around 1997-2004 when I actually played predominantly acoustic, but the rest of the time since I started playing in 1989 has been the other way around. I do still enjoy them, though. I wrote a lot more songs during that period.

The Dove was one of those guitars that got away for me. I played a '69 in college (late '90s) that was amazing, but the wear and checking on it at that point in my life scared me away. I never forgot it and always kicked myself for not jumping on it, especially for under a grand. It took me over 20 years to find the right one and it's everything I remembered that other one to be.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
2014 J-29 Rosewood

Nice! How do you like the Grovers on that? My Dove has them and it might be my imagination, but it seems like I can feel the effect of them.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice! How do you like the Grovers on that? My Dove has them and it might be my imagination, but it seems like I can feel the effect of them.
I have Grovers on my Tribute, and had them on at least three guitars in the past (Dove, LP Custom, D-35.) To me they're just a high end tuner, and they do their job :) I haven't swapped tuners on a guitar, so I don't know that I could feel the difference.

Telechamp

Reaction score
That looks great! I used to have a '66 LG-0 that I got from a member here. It sounded amazing, especially in open tunings. Here's an old video that I made with it.

That sounds great, man! What strings/gauge did you have on it at the time?..

Telechamp

Reaction score
Thanks! I use 12-54 on all my acoustics (usually Martin SP).
That's exactly what I have on mine right now! I have used various brands and gauges on this LG-0, and I think the Martin SP's sound the best on this one.

parts

Reaction score
1966 J 200 Custom someone ordered with very narrow neck..which was great for me as I used it more like an electric..found it about 1972
I used the 1969 Dove for acoustic things..bought it new..

Ths J-200 had no pick guard..but got this one that matched the mounting..and it is very thin and light..
The Dove was odered with the rosewood bridge piece..much lighter as the Dove does not project as well normally I felt.

Last edited:

Latest Threads