Show Off Your Les Paul(s)!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on the Orange sunrise...
Bigsby and a Wilkinson locking roller bridge. Threaded the studs right into the top.
Same size as the GF bridge kits, so I can change it out anytime! Bonus points awarded!:dude:

Last edited:

coolidge

Reaction score
That would give a quality PRS a run for its money, very nice
In fact these were Gibson's answer to PRS back then. Slightly thinner body than a single cut Les Paul, chambered, 24 frets with upper fret access. Mine weighs only 7.39 lbs that's lighter than two of my light weight swamp ash Tele's.

I was looking at PRS 594's, sadly the quality of PRS maple tops has fallen off sharply. A $5k 594 doesn't have a top this good I'd have to go private stock. This Les Paul DC...$1,300.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
In fact these were Gibson's answer to PRS back then. Slightly thinner body than a single cut Les Paul, chambered, 24 frets with upper fret access. Mine weighs only 7.39 lbs that's lighter than two of my light weight swamp ash Tele's.

I was looking at PRS 594's, sadly the quality of PRS maple tops has fallen off sharply. A $5k 594 doesn't have a top this good I'd have to go private stock. This Les Paul DC...$1,300.
The only thing I haven't loved about PRS core guitar tops in recent years is their color selections. A lot of the faded colors just look dull and washed out and color choices that end up fleshy looking. That's just personal preference tho, nothing wrong with the quality or grade of maple they're using. It's always going to vary from top to top and taste is subjective.

I own a 594 Wood Library and it's a phenomenal guitar in every regard. I'd say most $5k 594s have a top that easily equals or surpasses yours, but at $5k we're talking either Wood Library or Artist Package. You can easily pick up a regular 10 top for about $1500 less.

The only reason to go PS on a PRS is to style it the way you want. Some of these look good, and some are just over embellished with a lack of good taste. You also don't know what you're going to get until you get it. Both WL and AP are every bit as nice as a PS in everything except extraneous personalized bling.

It's a really nice guitar with a great top you have there, but it's not putting ANY 594 I've seen to shame :)

coolidge

Reaction score
The only thing I haven't loved about PRS core guitar tops in recent years is their color selections. A lot of the faded colors just look dull and washed out and color choices that end up fleshy looking. That's just personal preference tho, nothing wrong with the quality or grade of maple they're using. It's always going to vary from top to top and taste is subjective.

I own a 594 Wood Library and it's a phenomenal guitar in every regard. I'd say most $5k 594s have a top that easily equals or surpasses yours, but at $5k we're talking either Wood Library or Artist Package. You can easily pick up a regular 10 top for about $1500 less.

The only reason to go PS on a PRS is to style it the way you want. Some of these look good, and some are just over embellished with a lack of good taste. You also don't know what you're going to get until you get it. Both WL and AP are every bit as nice as a PS in everything except extraneous personalized bling.

It's a really nice guitar with a great top you have there, but it's not putting ANY 594 I've seen to shame :)
I shopped hundreds of 594's and many artists, except for the rare one off all had flaws in the grain that would never have been considered artist pack in years past. Either on the maple cap or on the mahogany back. I owned a CU22 artist quilt top that utterly destroys any 594 artist built today. Flawless quilt top, striped mahogany back.

But it really is an apples to oranges comparison. NONE of these Gibson DC's has the quality of mahogany backs and necks that PRS has, its not even a contest PRS destroys the DC in that regard.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted before, but not in this thread.

2014 LPMM, took out P-90S pups, installed P-90s. Tele knobs, chrome switch tip, polished off some of the chalky finish. My "hot rod" LP

2013 '50s Tribute. All black plastics replaced including nut. Guard added and P-90s replaced with Gibson mini humbuckers. I call this one a Deluxe Tribute

Latest Threads