Show Off Your Les Paul(s)!

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I bought the guitar new, it had a Nashville bridge on it and it intonated fine. Some years later, I decided to put an ABR on it using some Callaham bushings. It would not intonate. Bill Callaham then sent me some offset bushings and it was intonating again.

I wasn't happy with the looks of the Callaham offset bushings so I took the guitar to a local luthier who does amazing headstock repairs. I figured if anybody could plug the holes and match the top, it would be him. He set the posts in the right spot and I had no intonation issues. However, his plug work on the top was really sloppy.

At this point, I figured only a refin would get it to my liking so I sent the guitar off to a guy that was recommended on this site for reasonable refins and had him do a top only and upgrade the inlays and nut. The guitar he sent back looked like a 70s Japanese copy and he placed the bridge in the wrong spot so it wouldn't intonate again. :mad2::mad2::mad2: Not only that, he wired the controls backwards when he put everything back together. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: He never replied to any of my emails nor my telephone calls. Needless to say, I needed someone GOOD to fix this.

At this time, Kim at Historic Makeovers had just finished my 2nd guitar and when I told him the story, he told me that he could make this guitar look right and play right. I bring the guitar in and the very first thing he does is place this scale ruler on the neck and determines that it's not the typical 24.75" Gibson scale. The last guy just assumed it was and placed it where he thought it should be, which is why it wouldn't intonate. Kim had his luthier test fit the bridge before he drilled any holes. It now intonates perfectly and looks and sounds great.

Lesson I learned was, don't skimp on custom work. When you find someone who is good and know's what they are doing (Kim) pay the man.
Agreed!

my luthier tells me most gibson scales are in fact not exacctly 24 3/4" but a 5/8" alot of the time, he is a big proponent of compensated 'intonated' nuts ive got one on my lester and was a night and day difference.

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eve of 11 year anniversary bump for this thread!

Here’s some updated shot of the les In post #1

02 classic she now sports a Faber bridge, aluminum tp, historic plastic, rs vintage harness, pre 04 57 classics, compensated nut etc
FA2FEB06-A09C-42B8-A251-F27349B52987.jpeg
CF061D2F-EF7D-4623-ABF6-4A75B443FCCE.jpeg
E9D538F4-B658-483A-A4B9-647F90005BCE.jpeg

Last edited:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Can't believe I haven't posted in here yet!

Seeing how I'm such a post whore with this one I would be shocked if no one hasn't already seen enough of it:rofl:

1982 Candy Apple Red Standard. Limited Edition #23.

My latest, however, might be of interest to some..:shock:

2017 Studio Deluxe IV in Midnight Caribbean Blue. :shock:

The rest are Strats and Teles, Bass - oh my! :rofl:

Dude, that's hot AF and I'm not even into blue guitars. I think you got one of those striking rarities where everything just came together perfectly. Hope it plays as good as it looks :)

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dude, that's hot AF and I'm not even into blue guitars. I think you got one of those striking rarities where everything just came together perfectly. Hope it plays as good as it looks :)
Thank you kindly! :cheers:

It plays very nicely i am happy to say. I just gave the full intonation, string height and pickup balance treatment the other night.

It sounds like a Lester, but that's where it ends. It has an almost completely different voicing than my 82.

The 82 has Shaws and this 18 has Burst buckers 2 and 3 I think. They are unpotted which I love!

They have a thicker more snarly and springy sound to them when driven compared to the Shaws. Wooley!

It also has coil splits which are new to me on a Lester. I've used them on Strats before. I'm finding lots of new tone colors by splitting only one pickup and rolling the volume pots around.

Put covers on it recently just to see how it looks. I like it. Nothing is soldered so I can change my mind later!
20190317_190448a.jpg

Bridge swap and PG on FTW!!
20190328_194526a.jpg

Last edited:

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Can't believe I haven't posted in here yet!

Seeing how I'm such a post whore with this one I would be shocked if no one hasn't already seen enough of it:rofl:

1982 Candy Apple Red Standard. Limited Edition #23.

My latest, however, might be of interest to some..:shock:

2017 Studio Deluxe IV in Midnight Caribbean Blue. :shock:

The rest are Strats and Teles, Bass - oh my! :rofl:
Nice on the blue Double D. Me likes. The CAR is looking exceptionally ..new ..shall we say too. Nice shoot! :thumb:

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
:eek2:
OK! This proves it! Your sense of and color matching is near as perfect as your collection! :wow:

You can pick out curtains for me any day!!!! My decor is at your disposal....:dude:

:rofl:
:laugh2:

Let's go D!!! ...

mistermikev

Reaction score