Show Off Your Les Paul(s)!

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I haven't posted in here yet!

Seeing how I'm such a post whore with this one I would be shocked if no one hasn't already seen enough of it:rofl:

1982 Candy Apple Red Standard. Limited Edition #23.

My latest, however, might be of interest to some..:shock:

2018 Studio Deluxe IV in Midnight Caribbean Blue. :shock:

The rest are Strats and Teles, Bass - oh my! :rofl:

Last edited:

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
R4 JB with OX4 Hot Duanes and a Mojotone compensated wraparound.

1999 Custom Shop limited run for Sam Ash. It always had intonation issues and after two "luthiers" hacked the top trying to make it right, I finally sent it to Kim at Historic Makeovers for a refin. It has Faber hardware and Throbak PG-102 LTD pickups.

R5 with an RDS Makeover, Faber hardware and a set of 1952 P90s

CC4 with RDS Makeover, Faber hardware and Duncan Skinnerburst pups with Throbak covers

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
It always had intonation issues and after two "luthiers" hacked the top trying to make it right, I finally sent it to Kim at Historic Makeovers for a refin.
I'm curious as to what they found was wrong and how they corrected it...

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what they found was wrong and how they corrected it...
When I bought the guitar new, it had a Nashville bridge on it and it intonated fine. Some years later, I decided to put an ABR on it using some Callaham bushings. It would not intonate. Bill Callaham then sent me some offset bushings and it was intonating again.

I wasn't happy with the looks of the Callaham offset bushings so I took the guitar to a local luthier who does amazing headstock repairs. I figured if anybody could plug the holes and match the top, it would be him. He set the posts in the right spot and I had no intonation issues. However, his plug work on the top was really sloppy.

At this point, I figured only a refin would get it to my liking so I sent the guitar off to a guy that was recommended on this site for reasonable refins and had him do a top only and upgrade the inlays and nut. The guitar he sent back looked like a 70s Japanese copy and he placed the bridge in the wrong spot so it wouldn't intonate again. :mad2::mad2::mad2: Not only that, he wired the controls backwards when he put everything back together. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: He never replied to any of my emails nor my telephone calls. Needless to say, I needed someone GOOD to fix this.

At this time, Kim at Historic Makeovers had just finished my 2nd guitar and when I told him the story, he told me that he could make this guitar look right and play right. I bring the guitar in and the very first thing he does is place this scale ruler on the neck and determines that it's not the typical 24.75" Gibson scale. The last guy just assumed it was and placed it where he thought it should be, which is why it wouldn't intonate. Kim had his luthier test fit the bridge before he drilled any holes. It now intonates perfectly and looks and sounds great.

Lesson I learned was, don't skimp on custom work. When you find someone who is good and know's what they are doing (Kim) pay the man.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
When I bought the guitar new, it had a Nashville bridge on it and it intonated fine. Some years later, I decided to put an ABR on it using some Callaham bushings. It would not intonate. Bill Callaham then sent me some offset bushings and it was intonating again.

I wasn't happy with the looks of the Callaham offset bushings so I took the guitar to a local luthier who does amazing headstock repairs. I figured if anybody could plug the holes and match the top, it would be him. He set the posts in the right spot and I had no intonation issues. However, his plug work on the top was really sloppy.

At this point, I figured only a refin would get it to my liking so I sent the guitar off to a guy that was recommended on this site for reasonable refins and had him do a top only and upgrade the inlays and nut. The guitar he sent back looked like a 70s Japanese copy and he placed the bridge in the wrong spot so it wouldn't intonate again. :mad2::mad2::mad2: Not only that, he wired the controls backwards when he put everything back together. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: He never replied to any of my emails nor my telephone calls. Needless to say, I needed someone GOOD to fix this.

At this time, Kim at Historic Makeovers had just finished my 2nd guitar and when I told him the story, he told me that he could make this guitar look right and play right. I bring the guitar in and the very first thing he does is place this scale ruler on the neck and determines that it's not the typical 24.75" Gibson scale. The last guy just assumed it was and placed it where he thought it should be, which is why it wouldn't intonate. Kim had his luthier test fit the bridge before he drilled any holes. It now intonates perfectly and looks and sounds great.

Lesson I learned was, don't skimp on custom work. When you find someone who is good and know's what they are doing (Kim) pay the man.
Thank you! :cheers: Was it a special edition or something to have a different scale length?

It couldn't have just been a boner at Gibson that got out the door unknown!!...:eek2::Ohno:

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! :cheers: Was it a special edition or something to have a different scale length?

It couldn't have just been a boner at Gibson that got out the door unknown!!...:eek2::Ohno:
I don't know. I have heard that Gibson scales have changed from time to time. This one was a bit shorter than the typical 24.75". I have never been able to find out much about this guitar. All I know is that it was a Custom Shop run for Sam Ash and I found 3 of them between the two local Sam Ash shops I had near me so it wasn't THAT exclusive. I picked the one that sounded the best to my ears.