Show me on the Sneech where Dr. Seuss hurt you.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
You mean Soylent Green right?

You can't fool me the the Green Eggs and Ham.
B, no- I was DEATHLY ill as a childe- I would go to Dr. Whitman's house. Very English manor-creek-ducks-black lab---we sat there discussing MY DEATH and Seuss........good times........

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I can't wait to write agit-prop for THE POWERS- I'll "scrub" all day long- I just want a nice plot of land with goats+chickens+lambs++++++ENDLESS hash oil........I have a REAL future in NewSpeak...

"Then the Joflin went to gabbrell...then FEZZ went to the coglin.......

Soon, very soon.
Tim Fezziwig: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
KSG_Standard: God darnit, Mr. Fezz, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Tim Fezziwig: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
KSG_Standard: God darnit, Mr. Fezz, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.
K, I was "almost" YOUNG POET OF THE YEAR 1986--but, alas---"Tim, your attitude.......
Confidence REALLY upsets people.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I love offensive books. You barely need lighter fluid if you crumple the pages first.
You just can’t spit on them too much until it’s really going.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The thing I hate the most about the whole "cancel culture" is, the small minority of aholes, who think they speak for the majority.

Must be nice to have that kind of time/energy to just find things to be offended about?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Don't you know it doesn't have to be racist to be racist because everything is racist.

I hope that explains it for you.
Or, "appropriation".

In fact, I ate some Ramen noodles last night, so...

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Meanwhile, another fine product from Hong Kong and Taiwan...

Changing the name from Darkie to “Darlie” didn’t seem to be much of a drastic change; for, while the logo did change to a smiling man of ambiguous racial background in a top hat, in Chinese, the world “darlie” means “black person,” according to Wikipedia.

No stereotypes in China.

PeteK

Reaction score
We weren't real big on Dr. Seuss when I was a kid. I had some exposure to it and some of the other Geisel books, but they really weren't a big part of my childhood. As a consequence, I wasn't really informed about Mr. Geisel's history or his personal views on anything. However, since this story became public, I've read a little bit about him. Apparently he held views about Jewish people, Asian and Black people that are offensive today and should have been offensive then...views common to a lot of people in the early part of the 20th century.

I don't think we should be burning his books or canceling him or trying to erase him from history...but I don't think Geisel should be held up as any sort of standard for our kids either. I'd just let the market work it's magic by letting parents decide what's acceptable and what's not...for themselves.
Yeah, I feel like there is a lot of headline outrage in this case where people aren't really aware of the full history of Dr Seuss or his writings. They see "Dr Seuss cancelled" and are outraged because they read Cat in the Hat as a kid, and this is just more cancelling of things they remember fondly. But this is a strange hill to die on. I didn't know much about Dr Seuss until literally today when I saw this all over internet news. But it sure didn't take much investigation to find a whole bunch of really fucked up things said and illustrated by Dr Seuss. And they aren't even cancelling him. They are just stopping publishing the questionable stuff. You can still get Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham. If this is cancel culture, it seems like a mild, pretty reasonable version of it. :dunno:

DavGrape

Reaction score
Grundle butter the bandersnatch
Complete the maze before you
Fill up the hold with pots of gold
And sail for Desmónandoo.

Latest Threads