Shoulder Surgery on the 29th

splatter

Reaction score
I'm having my shoulder worked on next Monday . Nothing major ,removing some bone spurs and a cyst ,also fixing a shoulder impingement problem . Doc said I should be able to play guitar pretty soon after surgery since its my right shoulder and I play right handed so the arm on the hurt side is hanging down while playing . Also I will get off work with pay for about 3 to 4 weeks . :dude:

now the bad news ,My band will miss a gig because of it .... would have been our 1st gig .Not really a big deal but it would have been fun .
I have to wait 8 weeks before going back to the gym ,(will have to refrain from the cake and cookies to keep from getting fat) and worst of all the parts for my super strat I'm building should arrive between now and the 29th .This by far is the worst part, I'll have the parts and the time but won't be able to work on it .:facepalm:

Oh and the doc said its gonna hurt like a bitch for about a week .I can't really take pain meds cause they make me puke . The only thing worse than extreme pain is puking while in extreme pain .

Then when all this is over I get to have the other shoulder fixed . :facepalm:

dennis g

Reaction score
I feel your pain (sort of). For the past few months I've been doing physical therapy for "frozen shoulder". I've gone from about 25-30% mobility to about 95% right now. Playing has been a "beyatch". It's my right shoulder, and I'm right handed, but because of the angle my arm extends from my body when playing, I've only been able to play an electric for about 20 minutes at a time, and forget acoustics. Because of the depth of the body, my arm is at such an uncomfortable angle that I can't even reach over to get to the strings. Hopefully this will all be over soon. Good luck on your surgeries, and get well soon.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck on the shoulders guys...I saw this thread a few minutes ago and had to go move a few things(heavy things)
now my left shoulder hurts...:hmm:

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
good luck. I dislocated my left shoulder 3 weeks ago, full labrum tear, hairline fracture too. still pretty sore but can play. Just really cant do much with the left arm. Going back to ortho in a few weeks to decide what to do. It's possible that the shoulder could come out real easy going forward without the surgery.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Well that's some good and bad news...

Looking forward when you are on the other side of "Project Shoulders"

Take care :thumb:

Maynar

You reached for the secret too soon
Reaction score
Oh man, all the best. Last year I took a fall and fractured my collarbone on the right-hand side. Not a major compound fracture or anything, but enough to keep me off work for about a month.

That first week healing was a bitch. But the meds was fun. After that, I could manage around the house a bit.

Good luck with it!

splatter

Reaction score
I feel your pain (sort of). For the past few months I've been doing physical therapy for "frozen shoulder". I've gone from about 25-30% mobility to about 95% right now. Playing has been a "beyatch". It's my right shoulder, and I'm right handed, but because of the angle my arm extends from my body when playing, I've only been able to play an electric for about 20 minutes at a time, and forget acoustics. Because of the depth of the body, my arm is at such an uncomfortable angle that I can't even reach over to get to the strings. Hopefully this will all be over soon. Good luck on your surgeries, and get well soon.

thanks for the well wishes .
How did your shoulder get "frozen".Was it due to an injury ?

splatter

Reaction score
good luck. I dislocated my left shoulder 3 weeks ago, full labrum tear, hairline fracture too. still pretty sore but can play. Just really cant do much with the left arm. Going back to ortho in a few weeks to decide what to do. It's possible that the shoulder could come out real easy going forward without the surgery.

How did you manage that ? Also is a labrum tear a ligament ? Is that something that will heal or does it have to be reattached with surgery ?
the master at the dojang I go to has had his shoulder dislocated 3 or 4 times . the last time they put it back they did something wrong and now he has to have surgery to repair it .So be careful with who you let put it back in if should come out again .

Howard2k

Reaction score

I had a recurring dislocation problem. It was so bad that it would sometimes come out of the socket when putting on a sweater or closing the hatch on the car.

I had the surgery and it's NIGHT AND DAY better. I am quite careful about what I do, I would no longer do any sports where there is any sort of significant risk of me falling, unfortunately, but I HAVE fallen and it's stayed in. And given how bad the shoulder was, that is a miracle (of science and medicine!).

Howard2k

Reaction score
How did you manage that ? Also is a labrum tear a ligament ? Is that something that will heal or does it have to be reattached with surgery ?
the master at the dojang I go to has had his shoulder dislocated 3 or 4 times . the last time they put it back they did something wrong and now he has to have surgery to repair it .So be careful with who you let put it back in if should come out again .

The big problem is that once you get tissue detaching from the bone, as it almost always does in a shoulder dislocation, the tissue reattaches to the shoulder in the wrong place and therefore is not as tight. There's also the risk that when the shoulder comes out (and back in) it can chip the bones, leading to problems with the bones themselves, and bone chips floating around.

The Mel Gibson trick on Lethal Weapon is the best way to f*ck your shoulder. :)

And good luck with the surgery!

dennis g

Reaction score
How did your shoulder get "frozen".Was it due to an injury ?
Not an injury, I just noticed that over a period of about two months it had just "tightened up" for lack of a better term, and mobility was in the tank. Why? Who knows. PT has worked wonders, but still have a bit to go.

Latest Threads