Should tone secrets remain... secret?

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most guys want to teach what they know. Guys like teaching. Every guy is good at something and will teach it to the right student.

Just gotta be respectful. That's the trick. Don't act like you're owed,...just have the true desire to learn.

I get a kick out of the ones who go "But that isn't how Blahblahblah did it on the obscure bootleg live blahblahblah back in 1969"

To which I reply "Well he did it different every time on every recording.... And if you already know so much, fvck off".

I used to learn by wearing out the records and sometimes getting it "wrong". Apparently the original guy was always wrong too :hmm:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
real joy is when you show something benign like an open C chord and the kid is like, "That's wrong that's not how my Dad does it!"

that's another new addition to the world of guitar teaching in the past 10 years. Having kids tell you you're wrong,...when they don't know WTF they're talking about anyway. :laugh2:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Strings don't really make that much difference in tone, to my experience They've just got to fit the player. With the big hands and fingers Malikon has, he would bend 7s out of tune, and besides doesn't need strings that light to fret them with ease. Guys like me with small hands and fingers need lighter strings. I use 9-42 on solid body guitars and 9-46 on hollow and semi hollow body guitars, FWIW. I've tried 10-46, but don't hear a tonal difference, and they seem to foul up what little speed I have.

SpareRibs

Reaction score
The truth is, with some slight of ear you can get fairly decent tones for a recording on a budget. Great tone WILL set you back thousands, though. Several thousands. The budget setup will get you 70-80% there. Thats fine for a lot of folks. That last 20-30% is a LOT of money and good choices. My typical bar gig enlists over 10G worth of gear without counting 2 Les Paul Customs. It sounds it. You can play the same gig with a line 6 combo and make the same money. It might sound fine. It WONT sound fine when you compare the 2 setups, though. It really all depends what you're after.

Hello,
That is good advice however, all of us do not have access to police auctions.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@Dole

I hear a difference.

...I think I do anyway.

To me thinner strings don't get the wire sound. Like,...you're hearing 100% signal.
thicker strings to my ears you hear more of the string itself, the thwack of the wire.

like the bigger strings to me feel like I'm hitting a wire, not a string. So maybe it's more a feel thing than an auditory thing?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Mal,I suspect you have better ears than I. I don't mess much with 11s except on acoustics. But as to the difference between 9-42s and 10-46, I just can't hear the difference.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you probably took the pickguard off and let the tonez leak out the screw hole. :facepalm:

rookie mistake. :laugh2:

12watt

Reaction score
Someone asked me to email him tabs for one of our songs but wouldn't buy the album. It was only five pounds ffs!

sk8rat

Reaction score
its a bit of a douchy thing to do but who cares either way, its not like you hold the secret to life in your tone. look how many successful guitarists do rig rundowns. I hardly think they care if anyone steals their "tone".

from a business aspect I get it. take dumble for example. chances are if he didnt hide what was under there people would be making clones left and right. still it would make more sense if he actually made them available.
28i21ds.jpg

tone chasing is an endless circle. you start with the a good amp, then you mod it, ok a little better and has a more specific sound but you can only mod an amp so much before it sounds like sh*t.

in my short time of playing guitar I have observed that a lot of peoples tone knowledge surpasses their playing abilities by great lengths.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Regarding guitar strings

The big advise given in the 80's was to boil the strings. Yup, okay! I think people thought it was great because Eddie Van Halen did it. Of course that might just be an urban myth as well.

I always got Ernie Ball Super Slinkies. I can't hear a difference. My last purchase I switched things up and bought something more expensive. Do I hear s difference? Nope. I just want strings that I'll get maximum life out of before they need changing. If I find a set that last two or three times longer than what I've been using, it's worth it!

Edit: I just found an article in which EVH says he boils his strings for ten minutes. Of course he also said Michael Anthony is a great bassist which nowadays he bashes him any chance he can. Who the hell knows what's going on with that guy?

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
I would say that the majority comes from my personal technique,

Yup. A good part of tone comes from the picking hand and feel for the instrument. You can't pass that skill to another player.

jppage25

Reaction score
The truth is, with some slight of ear you can get fairly decent tones for a recording on a budget. Great tone WILL set you back thousands, though. Several thousands. The budget setup will get you 70-80% there. Thats fine for a lot of folks. That last 20-30% is a LOT of money and good choices. My typical bar gig enlists over 10G worth of gear without counting 2 Les Paul Customs. It sounds it. You can play the same gig with a line 6 combo and make the same money. It might sound fine. It WONT sound fine when you compare the 2 setups, though. It really all depends what you're after.

Hey Joey thank you for getting rid of the Cher pic i know it's Halloween but common dude:wow::laugh2:

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
its taken me awhile to achieve freak tone but I think i'm gettin' there. :cool:

Frogfur

Reaction score
There's more to this tone thing than gear. You can have Brian Setzer or, who ever you chose to hand you their rig directly..and imediately take it away because you just sound like hell. Just.turn that thing off or give it back.

It's inThe hands, the fingers, wrist. Everyone has their own way.
You can have the same setup as joe Macsh:tsski and you sound, at bestm like you. Only in premier gear.
Not yours. If you could originate such glorious tasty bits you eoukdn't need to emulate x sound. YOU'D be belting out tush tone.

It's what makes the really greats, all of them what they are. I believe tone can trump technique if not too dificult. Sometimes tone/simplisity is what the doctor ordered.

Their tone is their signiture.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
As to the matter of strings having an affect on tone, I find it very minimal which can be resolved by amp adjustment (if the amp is voiced correctly for you). I chose strings, as to both gauge, brand, and model based on feel and ease of playing. After all, if I wanted what I do to be work, I would go back to practicing law!

I agree with the post above which said many players are actually more concerned about tone than actual playing ability, because I am one of them. If I can't get a decent tone (for me), I just can't play anything, period. A tone I don't like makes any little mistake I make (and I make them) stand out like a billboard on the highway. So it might be said that I "play the tone". No tone, no play.

And, Mal, I have never removed a pick guard. If the guitar came with one it stays that way. If a guitar came without one, it stays that way.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is like golf. You can get the same clubs the pros use, but you cannot hit them like the pros hit them.

Plus the pros have techs, that have tweaked those clubs so they are nothing like what you'd get off the shelf.

And then even more ... they are tweaked just for them ... which would most likely not be right for anyone else.

:cool:

...but mostly just like with golf scoring .... guitar tone ... it is all in the under pants ... or the golfer ... er, uh, guitar player themselves.

:thumb:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Many times I can't cop my tone, I coast, my bassist rides me,ticks me off,then fire arrives. Rock guitar is based on emotion. I play better when I'm frustrated. I swear there is a spiritual element to guitar-playing, I know many will scoff.

"Dooooodddddd it is a guitar...you play it....."

I wonder?

mdubya

Reaction score
that's another new addition to the world of guitar teaching in the past 10 years. Having kids tell you you're wrong,...when they don't know WTF they're talking about anyway. :laugh2:

They grow up to be mlp regulars. :lol:

Latest Threads