Should I trade my G0 + SG Standard for a 57 LP Custom BB RI?

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
That is a nice G0. I do not understand why you trade two guitars and only get one in return. I'd keep the G0 and trade the SG + cash if needed.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I would say absolutely not. If your G0 already sounds and plays amazing (and is a flame top), I say keep it. You already said you prefer the 2-pickup version of the 57 Custom, so you’re already compromising. 57 Customs are different beasts. They have thick necks and their tone can be really warm and thick because of the all-mahogany construction, which is nice to have as an option in your arsenal, but as your main guitar... it locks you in to a distinct sound that isn’t as versatile as a maple-capped Custom like the 68 RI or standard version. It just doesn’t have that snap and bite that the maple provides. I still think they sound great, but I sold mine... just didn’t click with it. I would never sell a guitar that sounds “like god” for something with such a distinct flavor you haven’t even played yet. It sounds like you’re just looking for something different, which i totally get, but there are a lot of other options out there that I think would be more your speed.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
She's the best playing Paul I've ever had, i'm impressed that this thing doesn't want to buzz, action is "hair thick" low with 10's, and even on the hardest pulls and bends she wont go out of tune, she's really one quite of a specimen in terms of playability and tone. I know that most of the Historic Reissue collector/fan/lover loves flame tops, but for me its all about a plain top workhorse with the pristine and bold tone of what the Gibson Custom Shop has to offer. Thats what I love about Black Beauty Customs, all tone workhorse, no BS. Aaaaanyway, i've made my mind, just finished my daily session with the G0, damn, she sounds like no other Paul, i'm gonna keep her, and maybe save up to get me one of those BB7 customs in the future.... thanks all of you for the guidance!
Very glad to read this. You definitely made the right call. You would always regret getting rid of that guitar. If you haven’t had a lot of Les Pauls come and go through your hands yet, it’s easy to think the grass is always greener. Trust me, as someone who has learned his lesson the hard way, if you find one you really click with, sounds amazing, and doesn’t go out of tune - keep it! They aren’t all like that. There are a ton of great Les Pauls out there, but I’ve had plenty of good ones I just didn’t click with. It might take you years to find another one that feels and sounds the same and stays in tune as well. I’d definitely recommend getting a Custom in the future, but don’t sell your R0 for it. Also the 68 Reissues are more versatile than the 57 Reissues in my opinion.

Latest Threads