Should I trade my G0 + SG Standard for a 57 LP Custom BB RI?

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s one of the best looking G0s I’ve ever seen. If it plays as good as it looks, it would be tough for me to trade.....

caveman1989

Reaction score
That’s one of the best looking G0s I’ve ever seen. If it plays as good as it looks, it would be tough for me to trade.....
She's the best playing Paul I've ever had, i'm impressed that this thing doesn't want to buzz, action is "hair thick" low with 10's, and even on the hardest pulls and bends she wont go out of tune, she's really one quite of a specimen in terms of playability and tone. I know that most of the Historic Reissue collector/fan/lover loves flame tops, but for me its all about a plain top workhorse with the pristine and bold tone of what the Gibson Custom Shop has to offer. Thats what I love about Black Beauty Customs, all tone workhorse, no BS. Aaaaanyway, i've made my mind, just finished my daily session with the G0, damn, she sounds like no other Paul, i'm gonna keep her, and maybe save up to get me one of those BB7 customs in the future.... thanks all of you for the guidance!

spartacus slim

Reaction score
That G0 looks smoking hot, so personally I wouldn’t make the trade. If you like the G0 neck, you might not be as keen on the BB 57 which will be much more of a handful. At the end of the day though, only you will know what your heart desires! Have you had a chance to play the BB 57?

caveman1989

Reaction score
That G0 looks smoking hot, so personally I wouldn’t make the trade. If you like the G0 neck, you might not be as keen on the BB 57 which will be much more of a handful. At the end of the day though, only you will know what your heart desires! Have you had a chance to play the BB 57?
I have not played the BB, but I've heard that beaut in hands of this guy, the tone he gets out of it is out of this world, quite darker than the G0 I think, also a bit rounder but very present and bold (this must be due to the Mahogany body), I think in a Hi-Gain scenario the G0 should stand out more than the BB, I quite like the Custom Buckers on the G0, they're punchy and bright, and oh boy they can bark if you sauce up the gain.

the_lawyer

Reaction score
I have never played or heard a good custom, so to answer the question: HELL NO!

...it only looks good on you if you play it on funerals.

RocketKing

Reaction score
She's the best playing Paul I've ever had, i'm impressed that this thing doesn't want to buzz, action is "hair thick" low with 10's, and even on the hardest pulls and bends she wont go out of tune, she's really one quite of a specimen in terms of playability and tone. I know that most of the Historic Reissue collector/fan/lover loves flame tops, but for me its all about a plain top workhorse with the pristine and bold tone of what the Gibson Custom Shop has to offer. Thats what I love about Black Beauty Customs, all tone workhorse, no BS. Aaaaanyway, i've made my mind, just finished my daily session with the G0, damn, she sounds like no other Paul, i'm gonna keep her, and maybe save up to get me one of those BB7 customs in the future.... thanks all of you for the guidance!
Good choice ;)

Tonemeister

Reaction score
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In this case that bird is your G0 which you have a special bond with it sounds like. Sometimes we can get swept up in the emotion and excitement of GAS. If you have a killer looking and playing LP that is not something to take for granted. I have a 2013 R7 that sounds and plays amazing with zero upgrades needed. My 68RI custom is a different animal. I’ve gone through several pickup swaps and mods and I’m still not on love with it. Something to consider is how it feels when it’s hanging on your body from a strap. I find customs to be less ergonomic than a standard. The binding on the body looks awesome but it’s a pretty hard/sharp edge and can dig into your ribs and forearm. Also a three pickup guitar feels different when you are picking. I had one and I always would be hitting the middle pickup with the pick and you can hear that

I would persuade your buddy to let you take the guitar for a week so you can evaluate it better. I’m not saying “don’t do it” but “don’t do it. Ha.

DBDM

Reaction score
No scenario that I would make that trade

lwchafin

Reaction score
Opinions = a++holes. Your guitar, your money. Not too many 3 PU customs out there, and the ones that are available are in the $7000 plus range. G0s are a bit less. From a monetary standpoint it sounds like a good trade, but trading off a God guitar because of the flame on the top (which IMHO is a plus, but then again, opinions...) is a big deal, but then again, dreams of a '57 3 PU black beauty - hard to get past that without getting one. Since it's a buddy I assume you've been able to play it and run it through your amp and like what you feel and hear. If so, pull the trigger. WTF? Nothing special SG standards are easy to come by if you feel the need to replace it sometime.Why not go for it? Life's too short to pass on dreams.

Edit: Just saw you decided to keep the G0. Never mind.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Hello "Les Pauleans", I would like to see what you think on this. A buddy of mine is offering me to trade his 2011 Les Paul Custom 1957 Black Beauty Reissue (3 Pickup version) for my 2016 G0 + my 2013 SG Standard, I love Black Customs!, but I'm not sure if It's worth giving another Historic + a Gibson USA guitar for it...
To thine own self be true...if you can stand being without the other 2...or not...

paleosol

Reaction score
Hello "Les Pauleans", I would like to see what you think on this. A buddy of mine is offering me to trade his 2011 Les Paul Custom 1957 Black Beauty Reissue (3 Pickup version) for my 2016 G0 + my 2013 SG Standard, I love Black Customs!, but I'm not sure if It's worth giving another Historic + a Gibson USA guitar for it...
Hello
I just sold my three pickup LP BB with a Bigsby for 5000.00. It was listed for about three days.

zdoggie

Reaction score
there is way too much vascillating going on here ,I think you both should go buy the the respecive guitars that are up for trade ,les pauls ars getting harder to find especially the one thats the right fit for you good luck in your endeavor
zdog

lwchafin

Reaction score
Calls us all a$$holes for giving our opinions (which OP requested) ....,,,,

gives opinion. :hmm:
Not calling anyone a$$hole. Pointing out that we all have them and most people don't care about others', mine included. That, btw, is a saying my dad used to tell me. It stuck.

Last edited:

Roger66

Reaction score
For me, I would say a big “Noooo”
I would never trade a historic plus another “good” guitar for another historic... up to you at the end but that is my opinion

Update: Your G0 or R0 or whatever it is... It is just amazing:wow:
How attached are you to the G0 and SG?

I probably wouldn't make the trade unless I really, really wanted a 3 pickup custom. But that's just me. I sold my CS LP Custom when I got my R9 and have never regretted it.
Dont do it.

KS 5150

Reaction score
You should also verify that the ‘11 BB has an ebony fretboard. That’s right around the time that Richlite was coming in, which would devalue the Custom.

johnnyesquire

Reaction score
Just be sure( thorough), what he has is real- not doubting your friend whatsoever, but these china LP's are getting so good, it's getting scary!!

Latest Threads