Should I trade my G0 + SG Standard for a 57 LP Custom BB RI?

caveman1989

Reaction score
Hello "Les Pauleans", I would like to see what you think on this. A buddy of mine is offering me to trade his 2011 Les Paul Custom 1957 Black Beauty Reissue (3 Pickup version) for my 2016 G0 + my 2013 SG Standard, I love Black Customs!, but I'm not sure if It's worth giving another Historic + a Gibson USA guitar for it...

none2low

Reaction score
How attached are you to the G0 and SG?

I probably wouldn't make the trade unless I really, really wanted a 3 pickup custom. But that's just me. I sold my CS LP Custom when I got my R9 and have never regretted it.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the G0 has any flame, than no, Typically an R0 goes for more than an R7.I knkw that the G0 is a little cheaper than a reguler R0, and most ive seen are plain tops, but there are some ive seen with flame tops.

if the R7 Gold top is brand new,than i might depending on how bad i want the R7 Gomd top.

Im getting ready to grab, a new Gold top soon for $4800 if that helps

caveman1989

Reaction score
How attached are you to the G0 and SG?

I probably wouldn't make the trade unless I really, really wanted a 3 pickup custom. But that's just me. I sold my CS LP Custom when I got my R9 and have never regretted it.
My G0 is actually my Number 1, love er', and the SG, well I got that for cheap just to cover "SG stuff" nothing special.
Thing is I've always loved Black Customs, I play mainly 90's Alternative Rock and I think a proper LPC would tackle this sound better than a G0.
My issues here would be value and how much would I gain in terms of overall tone.

caveman1989

Reaction score
If the G0 has any flame, than no, Typically an R0 goes for more than an R7.I knkw that the G0 is a little cheaper than a reguler R0, and most ive seen are plain tops, but there are some ive seen with flame tops.

if the R7 Gold top is brand new,than i might depending on how bad i want the R7 Gomd top.

Im getting ready to grab, a new Gold top soon for $4800 if that helps
Yes it's a actually a flame top.
And its not a Gold Top what I'm being offered, but a 57 Custom Black Beauty Reissue (3 Pickup version)

Attachments

none2low

Reaction score
Thing is I've always loved Black Customs, I play mainly 90's Alternative Rock and I think a proper LPC would tackle this sound better than a G0.
My issues here would be value and how much would I gain in terms of overall tone.
I get it. But I think you could basically get the same results out of your G0 with a pickup swap. Just need to figure out what you feel is missing vs a custom.

Btw and are you sure that's a "G0" and not one of the special run of R0's done for GC?

caveman1989

Reaction score
I get it. But I think you could basically get the same results out of your G0 with a pickup swap. Just need to figure out what you feel is missing vs a custom.

Btw and are you sure that's a "G0" and not one of the special run of R0's done for GC?
I'm not quite sure if this is one of those Guitar Center special run, but the serial number starts with a G0, It has a killer flame top.

Attachments

Barker

Reaction score
I would play the BB7 and if you love it.... do it! BB7s are awesome! It's all close enough for me that what ever makes you happiest is the way to go! It's all fun anyway!

none2low

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if this is one of those Guitar Center special run, but the serial number starts with a G0, It has a killer flame top.
Definitely a G0 with that serial number. If it were me, I'd look into a pickup swap first to see if you can get it closer to where you want to be tone wise.

Also keep in mind, the neck carves are probably going to be fairly different between the G0 and Black Beauty. This may or may not matter, but something to keep in mind.

Mockbel

Reaction score
For me, I would say a big “Noooo”
I would never trade a historic plus another “good” guitar for another historic... up to you at the end but that is my opinion

Update: Your G0 or R0 or whatever it is... It is just amazing:wow:

Last edited:

ajory72

Reaction score
I'd want to play that 3 pup custom first - I never do trades with friends when emotions are tied into it as sommeone tends to feel outwitted. Weigh it up - is it worth it to you, keeping in mind your friend could be reading this post :)

If you do get it dont forget us poor fools who want to see it?

smk506

Reaction score
If your G0 is your number 1, no way.

You could sell your sg and be just a few hundred away from a really great MIJ 3 pickup custom, best of both worlds.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say absolutely maybe.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it's a actually a flame top.
And its not a Gold Top what I'm being offered, but a 57 Custom Black Beauty Reissue (3 Pickup version)
Ohhh, Dammmn! Well thats a Horse of a different color...LOL..yes trade them...the 1957 Black beauty les paul Custom,is another Historic on my Hit list, and those B$$tards, are expensive!! $6700 new and most of the used ones ive found are in Japan.Im trying to order a new one but most stores are backorderd

Also ,what year is the R7 BB? If made after 2015 i would definitely grab it.However reading one of your replys, if your G0 is your #1 than....i dont know.I still regret selling my very first les paul.It was a 1994 Gibson les paul Studio in Wine red.I got it in 1996 brand new for Christmas, you could drip the strings almost touching the frets if you wanted to,and it played no problem,fast as hell.I really regret that,but i was young,and the dark Wine red color with no binding and stuff? My Palette wasnt as refind.

but the R7 BB would be a sweet LP

Last edited:

caveman1989

Reaction score
First, thank you all for your replies, opinions are quite mixed though haha, I'm 51% leaning towards pulling the trigger on this one... I'll leave a pic of this guy's BB7 and tell me what you guys think. My G0 already sounds like god, but i'm not the biggest fan of flame tops, I like my Pauls plain toped and simple, as I said before an Ebony Custom has always been one of my dream guitars, I do prefer the 2 pickup version though. Here she is:

Attachments

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@caveman1989 that BB Ri

If its your buddies guitar, you must have played it. How do they compare?

Do you like the 3 pup config and electronics enough to be ur new #1

Is resale value a high priority or playability?

How good of a friend is this? Look at the back of the neck & headstock for repray and repair!!!! Your friend may not even know it has a repair if it in fact does?!?!

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, thank you all for your replies, opinions are quite mixed though haha, I'm 51% leaning towards pulling the trigger on this one... I'll leave a pic of this guy's BB7 and tell me what you guys think. My G0 already sounds like god, but i'm not the biggest fan of flame tops, I like my Pauls plain toped and simple, as I said before an Ebony Custom has always been one of my dream guitars, I do prefer the 2 pickup version though. Here she is:
Thats really nice! thats exactley how i want mine , with the Waffle backs and all,it looks too be in really nice shape the case looks pretty new, a couple blems on the top?

Also, i origionally wanted the 2 Humbucker version of the R7 BBC as well, but the 3 Pickup version was actually more of the norm...Im a real Geek with Tine period accuracy, lol..I believe for that model.The 2 pickup BBC exist ,but are more of the rarer model.

DanD

Reaction score
Are you going to play the BB out?

If so what's it weigh?

My guess is your GO is close to or below 9 pounds. The '11 BB is probably 10 pounds + and could easily be 11+.

Older BBs tend towards boat anchor. Not quite an issue if you're playing on the couch but shouldering an 11 pounder for 4 sets is pretty cumbersome for most, YMMV...

Latest Threads