Should i return my new Gibson? #2

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
These threads are the best for a whole bunch of reasons.

Someone has a problem with his new guitar. He knows it's a problem, or at least doesn't measure up to what he expected. Something looks off and he doesn't like it.

Then he posts here and basically asks, "what should I do"? Then the fun begins with the responses and suggestions, and the responses to the responses.

mdubya

Reaction score

Someone has a problem with his new guitar. He knows it's a problem, or at least doesn't measure up to what he expected. Something looks off and he doesn't like it.

Then he posts here and basically asks, "what should I do"? Then the fun begins with the responses and suggestions, and the responses to the responses.

Same as it ever was...

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score

Someone has a problem.
There I fixed it for you.
There are people who are looking to be disappointed. There is no cure for that.
Being in the situation is frustrating, I've been there.

Let me provide some popcorn fodder.
I wonder where are the cork guys now, who look down on USA and Epi lines.

While I don't wonder why Gibson doesn't get it right every time, these guys are pushing massive volumes of stuff every month.

What I do wonder though, is why they don't make the effort to fix the issues before shipping. Some of them are small enough that could be addressed.
This is not unreasonable to assume.

Throwing a perfectly playing instrument to the garbage bin for a couple of blems is also unreasonable.

Why a company that is infamous about quality issues, doesn't give a shit?

Is it because of the cork guys, who will defend the company no matter what, or because they are so hyped that its impossible to meet the expectations created by said hype?

I like the company(ies) despite being run by shitty people (I prefer Henry, thank you) but this situation is just sad, both for them and for the costumer.

moreles

Reaction score
If you want to be a perfectionist, buying through the mail is idiotic. Repeating the process expecting better results is even more idiotic. If you want a totally clean guitar bought online, buy a Fender because the whole design is conceived for easy, machined mass production, or PRS, for the same reason. (That faux binding, for example.) Buying through a decent shop (not GC because they are just a warehouse) would get you warranty followup on everything shown here. The one consistent flaw in new Gibsos seems to be the neck binding, and they may need to let that traditional feature go because American workers seem unable to execute it properly anymore. If you want to save money online, you shouldn't buy a Gibson.

Side Burns

Reaction score
And if its always the same story over and over it’s because there are 1000’s of lurkers that will get their dream guitar and want to know if they got Fncd & screwed on a deal. So they join MLP.

probably similar story to most people here.:wave:

so next week another guy or gal jr member will put up a thread about is this a real Gibson and over and over. If patience runs thin, we can go backstage.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I find it amusing that anyone would think that anything made on an assembly line by several different people would be the "pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence". If you want a perfect guitar built to your exacting standards you need to have it built by a luither for you.

HOT TAKE!!!!

I love Gibson guitars but they dont make they best guitars in the world, there are several luithers on this very fourm (check the luithers corner) that I would put above Gibson on the quality scale.

jb_abides

Reaction score
If you want to be a perfectionist, buying through the mail is idiotic. Repeating the process expecting better results is even more idiotic.

Mainly true, but I chuckle at all the 'Right-Handed Privilege' on display whenever people say 'go to a store, try 'em all out'... As a lefty, to get what I wanted, no such thing! Online has been a boon for me.

Search and order, try it out. Smart enough to make sure I get 30-45 day return trials, but honestly, I've had stupendous good fortune in my 20+ years of acquisition.

This is why I question rampant slagging of Gibson QC. Perhaps because they need to look harder at the lefties being they are different animals. On the other hand, most likely the inspectors are righty so they might miss something important. I dunno... I've been overwhelmingly pleased. I would never have a stable so abundantly fabulous if I were eschewed online ordering.

Of course, proper inspection of ad details and photos, vetting of dealer / seller, knowing what you are buying, how they are made... essential.

:cheers:

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
It is true thy sometimes there isn't any other option than online. Especially in remote areas, or small markets.

Thomann's policy is also to blame, in my case while the guys and girls were helpful, It was still frustrating to deal with all that, I got the Epi as birthday gift to myself in November and ended up with a Gibson next year's Easter. (5 guitars later)

Big stores act as factory stock resellers, the volumes they sell are so high that I bet they cannot inspect anything, it's just the luck of the draw.

My Gibsons are/were not flawless, but they play really well and look the part. The issues were so minor that I couldnt care less.

Last edited:

PAPADON

Reaction score
o_OIt's so typical and It simply amazes me how many Gibson folks are willing to accept issues like that crappy binding job especially on a custom shop instrument. Have you entertained any thoughts about Heritage or companies like Yamaha Japan yet?

Last edited:

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Mate a guitar has to play first, at least for me. It would be a shame for a guitar to be scrapped just for a couple of stuff.

What's more amazing than people accepting blems, is a factory line with perfectly cut cnc parts to have so many issues while being overpriced to hell and back.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
That sloppy binding finish is really unacceptable. I have had such similar "luck" with Memphis made ES335s. My god, many 200 bucks Asian guitars have better binding... Good old Norlins, they were much better built than this too... :shock:

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
Post #15
YES already answered his question. Remember it is a hand made guitar with skilled but human finishing it. If you want to Gibson the solution is either go and play dozens and dozens until you find the one. Or accept what you get online is what you get and move along.

PAPADON

Reaction score
That sloppy binding finish is really unacceptable. I have had such similar "luck" with Memphis made ES335s. My god, many 200 bucks Asian guitars have better binding... Good old Norlins, they were much better built than this too... :shock:
+1

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Oi Thunder Dump, please tell me how gibson custom is different than any other production line?

These guitars are mostly machined, the employees do nothing more than what you would by putting a guitar kit together.
Yes it takes some hands on to finish, but you cannot really call it handcrafted.
Malarky! I call BS. Watch this entire series:

On one hand, who can imagine taking one of these online snowflakes in a cross country tour in a van playing dive bars?

LMAO- I can just see it now- “where’s my unblemished organic tomatoes?”

It’s like a right or passage for pussy trolls:

How many guitars can I return and post bitching about online to justify my lack of ability to actually

SHUT UP AND PLAY GUITAR!

Latest Threads