Should i return my new Gibson? #2

dro

Reaction score
Get a razor blade and fix it. People who have this skill cost money. Gibson cutting costs. So allot of nubes doing the work.
Doesn't affect the price tag though.

danzego

Reaction score
Not trying to fight, but that first guitar was a keeper, they have their own q.c., not by what you deem to be out of tolerance, but what their definition is. You seem to want to be the final say, and you/ me are not, it's up to Gibson.
Well, being that it's his money, his decision whether he'll keep it or not, and his decision which guitar eventually becomes the one he keeps (if there does end up being one), I'd say it's HIS final say, not Gibson's. What Gibson lets out the door ultimately has little bearing on what he accepts as his own (other than how many guitars he may have to go through to find on that he's happy with).

I look at that binding and it makes me cringe. But then we're also talking about a close up picture with the problem featured. That's could blow a potentially small problem up into a bigger one. What I'm saying is that something which seems like a big deal when you scrutinize it may not be as big of a deal in the real playing world.

With that said, can you actually feel the binding issue when you're playing it? Is it as big of a deal when the guitar is in front of you or in your hands as it is when you're zooming a camera in on it? I did go check the binding on my Traditional, Standard 50's, and my Custom Shop 1960 V1, and all the binding looks straight to me. But if I found that it wasn't, I don't think I would give it a second thought being that I hadn't noticed before. If I had seen it when I first bought and evaluated them (I bought each of them through an online shop, not in person), I'm not sure if I would have kept it. I would have to feel it to know.

Being that the issue is on the treble side, where you generally aren't going to notice something like that, if the guitar itself feels great, sounds great, and is a real player, it may be something that you forget about, understanding that a hand cut binding will have variances. And, as I stated, whether that variance is ultimately acceptable in person rather than a blown up picture featuring the issue (I honestly don't know without seeing it).

mjross

Reaction score
I’m as OCD as it gets! I want all my guitars to be perfect. No buckle rash, no checking, no minor dents, dings, or scratches. I have been known to get a guitar completely reworked because of minor cosmetic defects. That’s just me! However, I bought an RS Guitar Works Reliced Les Paul recently. Shocked the $hit out of some of my friends. This one is not cosmetically perfect but that’s OK. I really like the fact that it looks like it’s been on the road for years.

Maybe look into a Reliced guitar. I know they are not for everyone. In fact, I never thought I’d own one but I’m here to tell you, this one is an amazing creation that I enjoy as much a shiny new one. Your worries about cosmetic issues go right out the door. Strange but true! YMMV

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sorry you feel you're getting screwed, I would have definitely kept the first guitar as I said in your previous post, getting the money back and parts to get her fixed up. I would definitely send this one back if you can feel the indent on the neck binding while playing, that would drive me crazy not having a nice smooth neck on a Gibson Custom or any Gibson for that matter.

Last edited:

NJDevil

Reaction score
The binding does bother me a bit, BUT.......if it is that small, cannot feel it when playing and is only in the spots pictured then it would not be an issue for me. I also agree with a previous comment about a few small scratches on black plastic is no big deal.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m as OCD as it gets! I want all my guitars to be perfect. No buckle rash, no checking, no minor dents, dings, or scratches. I have been known to get a guitar completely reworked because of minor cosmetic defects. That’s just me! However, I bought an RS Guitar Works Reliced Les Paul recently. Shocked the $hit out of some of my friends. This one is not cosmetically perfect but that’s OK. I really like the fact that it looks like it’s been on the road for years.

Maybe look into a Reliced guitar. I know they are not for everyone. In fact, I never thought I’d own one but I’m here to tell you, this one is an amazing creation that I enjoy as much a shiny new one. Your worries about cosmetic issues go right out the door. Strange but true! YMMV
Good idea.

But, I have the strangest hunch, call it a guess actually, that the OP is not your everyday heavy relic kind of guy.

:Ohno:

none2low

Reaction score
Looking at the last picture of the binding does indeed make it appear dented, but if you look carefully at the other pictures, I believe the unevenness is only in the scraping along the top fretboard edge.

If that's the case, then this "problem" could easily be resolved in about 20-30 minutes time.

It really doesn't take much to roll the fretboard binding for a smooth transition. Not suggesting that the OP do this if he is unskilled, but a local luthier could easily resolve this for less than the cost of return shipping to the dealer.

palmerfralick

Reaction score
I see nothing. But you should return it and give up on Gibson. You sir are going over guitars with a microscope and not playing them. Is this a wall hanger? because the first time you play it a microscopic imperfection will appear and you'll be unhappy. My god man let it go or seek therapy.

So after returning new crooked Gibson (https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/should-i-return-my-new-gibson.440297/)
they've sent me another one promising this one to be properly checked

it's a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom
besides playing like a beast and having less weight, this new one however has even sloppier finish

1. The belt pin is crooked

View attachment 464054

2. Scratched plastic parts - knobs, pick guard, toggle switch ring

View attachment 464051
View attachment 464053

3. Extremely poor neck binding finish on the bottom

View attachment 464056
View attachment 464057
View attachment 464058

would you keep it?
i'm feeling screwed right now...

throwaway1997

Reaction score
the first one's binding wasn't smooth either
it played bad, was buzzing
could have had bigger issues, not exposed to my eye, that would've cost many $ to fix

i can't understand how can you say, a just-purchased $4699 Custom Shop LP, that is the pinnacle of craftsmanship, quality, and sound excellence needs finishing touches?

it's like you bought a Ferrari, it has all the horses and looks, but the doors are sitting so low, it scratches the chassis whenever you open or close them
but hey, it's still a new Ferrari, right? just needs a little fixing...

that said, it's really sad how my happy childhood dream is becoming a nightmare
or maybe i'm just not rich enough to not give a crap about it?

Rezamatix

Reaction score
i bought a brand new 2019 R9. ripped out the frets and put jumbo stainless in it. ripped out the pickups and put my desired brand in there, took off the hardware and put faber parts on it, ripped out the tuners and put kluson revolutions on, then i thrashed the fuck out of it in front of a loud amp for an hour then i threw it on the couch and went to make some coffee. it's not mine till i fuck it really hard and put some dents and scratches in it. then it's perfect.

BDW60

Reaction score
i bought a brand new 2019 R9. ripped out the frets and put jumbo stainless in it. ripped out the pickups and put my desired brand in there, took off the hardware and put faber parts on it, ripped out the tuners and put kluson revolutions on, then i thrashed the fuck out of it in front of a loud amp for an hour then i threw it on the couch and went to make some coffee. it's not mine till i fuck it really hard and put some dents and scratches in it. then it's perfect.
This made me laugh, thanks. Question, if you actually did all or any of these things, were the Revolutions a drop in replacement? :)

Justin_Case

Reaction score
Better than 90% chance the dealer / and or Gibson's CS would simply send new plastics out to you at no charge.

The binding while annoying, is not a playability issue. If the gutiar checks off all the other boxes, I'd live with or find a local
luthier to make it better.

Latest Threads