should i respray my Les Paul TV Yellow?

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
So I'm wondering if I should maybe respray my Les Paul TV Yellow. I mean its yellow right now but its a very bright yellow and I think TV Yellow would be a little more "vintage correct" but also a nicer finish but I'm not totally sure I'd look similar but idk just an idea I am playing around with what do you guys think?

My current Les Paul-
IMG_1068.jpg

A TV Yellow Les Paul DC
DSC_0028.jpg

Discuss

River

Reaction score
I like yours the way it is. It's camp, goes with the knobs, etc. What year is it?

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
I have no solid info since I bought it second hand but by the serial number it seems to be 2001 64th day of the year

JMV

Reaction score
I think you should source a checkerboard pickguard and "taxi" it out. That's what I'd do. :thumb:

minty

Reaction score
that looks AWESOME. i love yellow LP specials, and that is the yellowist. if it had binding on the neck i'd be sending an offer to you. haha

dspelman

Reaction score
Yup. Respray TV Yellow. It'll cover up that strange-looking fake relicing.

TheJrAce

Reaction score
if its actually fake relicing, paint it. If thats just you playing it, keep it the way it is.

River

Reaction score
if its actually fake relicing, paint it. If thats just you playing it, keep it the way it is.
I agree. Thing is, if I restored it, I'd keep the original Screaming Yellow Zonker color.

CARNAGE222

Reaction score
I'd respray it too, but then again I really like the TV yellow. I do think you need to put up a larger pic of you avatar though. :naughty:

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you're going to have to strip it for a true TV look, aren't you?

River

Reaction score
you're going to have to strip it for a true TV look, aren't you?
That'd make a good decision point, IMHO - strip it and see what the top looks like. If it's gorgeous (like Last's), go transparent TV Yellow. If it's not, go back to original.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gotta give the "relic" job a big :noway: - I would have left it alone if it were unmolested, or even a reasonable relic job, but that is terrible...

TV yellow all the way.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Strip it & depending on the grain or how many pieces of wood you find to make up the body I'd go with a high~gloss transparent natural finish or maybe a translucent cherry. :D

80's Rocker

Reaction score
No way I would respray that thing, it looks awesome as it is.

imsilly

Reaction score
Not only should you respray it a correct colour, but you should also get a proper wrap around bridge installed and the right knobs.

ces

Reaction score
I usually want to keep or return things to stock.
Numbers matching, factory original.
Just like a muscle car.

In this case, I don't have enough info but id say:

Either way, if you're planning on having that guitar for a long time or forever,
paint it the color you love. Do as you please.

I won't hit you with the "please don't ruin it" sentiment, though somewhere inside me, i'm sure it's present.

Latest Threads