Should I or shouldn’t I???

horax

Reaction score
Had a gibson Standard 50’s. Traded for a Suhr, sold the Suhr, picked up a silver sky.
Love the silver sky, but I miss the Lester.

im considering the tommy Thayer electric blue les paul, but to get the money I’d have to part with an American performer strat that is just awesome. Either that or a tele that I had time to die for.
Anyway, is the Epi les paul worth giving up a made in USA performer strat, in your opinion?
Yes I’m a kiss fan, and yes I love sparkles.

horax

Reaction score
Or would I be disappointed after having the gibson standard and comparing it to the epiphone?

horax

Reaction score
If I could ever find the epi I'd try it first....

But I could sell a MIM Player Tele to offset the cost of hte Epi if I so choose....interesting...

Or sell my silver sky and get a LP standard. ;) Not sure I can do that, though.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Don't let go of any guitars you love. Just keep saving instead and be patient would be my advice :) Even if it takes you a few months or a year. And in the meatime you can probably find some of the Epis to try out and see if that is really what you want or you want to save longer and get another Gibson or some other type of singlecut instead.

fry

Reaction score
If you really want that Tommy Thayer, I’d say go for it. If you regret getting rid of the Strat down the road, you can always get another one. There are a billion guitars out there floating around, and there’s always a better one around the corner.

Fuelish

Reaction score
Don't let go of any guitars you love. Just keep saving instead and be patient would be my advice :) Even if it takes you a few months or a year. And in the meatime you can probably find some of the Epis to try out and see if that is really what you want or you want to save longer and get another Gibson or some other type of singlecut instead.
Agreed....have never sold nor traded a guitar I've owned....I own several at this point, has taken some years, but that's OK. I did have one I threw in the trash a long time ago, the headstock got broken off (NO, not a Gibson), and it was pre-interenet days of folks parting stuff out. Had I known what the future would hold, I'd have held onto it and bought another neck ....or taken the pickups out and saved/sold them (original DeArmond gold foils, mid-'60's). Have since scored a copy of that guitar in fine condition for a decent (i.e., not ridiculous Reverb asking price), all is well. Sell/trade only if desperate

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Looks like you keep repeating your own history.
You had an LP you liked but got rid of it for something you wanted to try.

Sounds like you found "the" strat.
But now you are willing to get rid of it for something you want to TRY.

If you keep on purchasing guitars, without trying them, you may have to go through several purchases before finding what you like. As stated upstream, Epiphones and Gibson's are two different types of builds. An Epi may look like a Gibson, but the play and feel will be different for sure.

Try before you buy
Then you know what it will be worth to you.

JMP

Reaction score
Keep that Strat or use it to fund a Gibson. If you want a Les Paul now and don’t want to wait, grab a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard (while you continue to save for the Gibson). If in the end, the used Epiphone satisfies the LP urge, you’re in good shape.

Lester

Reaction score
If I didn't specifically need Tele sounds, I'd sell the Tele and keep the Strat for when you need single coil sounds. But I also wouldn't pay extra for a "signature" guitar unless the specific equipment on it was worth the extra cost.

If you do go ahead... could you get one shipped to GC or similar so you can try it out before going home with it? Guitars vary, less expensive ones more IMHO. I'd want to play it to see if it comes close to your old LP experience.

truckermde

Reaction score
Agreed....have never sold nor traded a guitar I've owned....I own several at this point, has taken some years, but that's OK.
That's pretty cool.

I'd need another house if I still owned every guitar I've ever had. On the other hand, I would have had far fewer if I hadn't financed my GAS with sales of existing gear.

Still, I do lament the sale of a few of them. Trouble is, I feel the same about them all at the time of sale, and never know in advance which ones I'll be wishy-washy about in the future.

Oh, for a crystal ball (or a storage vault)...

Latest Threads