Should I Double-Cream It....?

MiniB

Reaction score
Sounds dirty!

Anyway, I've always wanted to do double-cream pickups on a Les Paul. But for me it has to be a certain finish.....like a lemon burst or something not so Cherry or Iced Tea. I like to call it a Lemon or Orange Creamsicle.

I've got this Wildwood Select USA Les Paul Standard 50's coming in, on which there's the 'Unbrst' finish that Gibson normally only puts on the 60's-necked versions. Essentially looks like what they've called 'Light Burst' for years now, but perhaps lighter and less contrast.

So I Photoshopped some double-creams on it as well as an aged hardware/pick guard and poker chip (I think off of one of :jb: 's guitars) to see how it would look like.........and I think I'm going to go with it.

And here with aged covers, also not too shabby.....

I'll see if in person the burst pattern is as light and less-contrasty as it is in this photo. If not, I may stay with covers. But if I do go with creams, gotta figure which ones to get.

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Aesthetically, I like both the stock look and the double creams. That said, you’ve not even received the guitar yet. Get it, live with it for a long while, then decide. It’s entirely possible it’ll sound magical stock. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, what a perfect top.....and love the color. Congrats!

MiniB

Reaction score
Aesthetically, I like both the stock look and the double creams. That said, you’ve not even received the guitar yet. Get it, live with it for a long while, then decide. It’s entirely possible it’ll sound magical stock. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, if it doesn't play nicely, I'm sending it back right away before I do anything to it. Got a 48-hr approval period. But I hate shiny new covers and hardware on anything, so those will be changed out one way or another, even if I keep same pickups. Did the same recently on an ES-335 received....love the pickups and how the pots work so stayed with them just changed covers and aged the hardware a bit.

If I want to go with double-creams, I might try a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniv. PAF's. Inexpensive and decent sounding. I probably won't get too finicky about boutique pickups et al on this one. Just looking to make it a solid working/gigging axe.

Last edited:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Some people hate open coils, some people prefer them. Some people think dbl cream is too cliche or too DiMarzio.

I like any and all.

If you've always wanted a double cream guitar, they go well with that finish.

MiniB

Reaction score
That's what Im hoping. I always like double-creams on certain LP's because it's as if it's a bit of a 'hot rod', and that's okay with this model because it doesn't have to be all vintage-accurate like on a Historic....although of course a lot of guys have exposed coils on Historics as well.

I was actually looking to pick up a Goldtop USA Std. But then I stumbled across this one and the wheels started turning.

Turbs

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar, uncovered pickups have never appealed much to me but it does look pretty good in your mock-up. I like the aged look most though.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Do whatever you think looks best, that way you’ll play it more.

MiniB

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar, uncovered pickups have never appealed much to me but it does look pretty good in your mock-up. I like the aged look most though.
Aged covers is always my go-to, but it'd be cool to have one that's uncovered. But yeah for me it's got to work with a certain kind of finish.

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the aged pickup covers on that particular guitar. Hope it's a good one!!!

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
porque no los dos?

two doublecreams, Dimarzio PAF just like you wanted (I prefer the classic rock set, myself, but love Dimarzio). Cover just the neck pickup, a la early Page before that travesty Reissue with the dbl blk

Socrates

Reaction score
Thats a beautiful one you have coming...and looks really cool with the aged covers too

PauloQS

Reaction score
Count me in on the one of each (nickel neck, double cream bridge) team. Serious Jimmy Page vibes, especially in that finish.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I see you’re also planning on to wrapping. It seems this guitar is going to get lots of playing time. That’s awesome.

jbash

Reaction score
Covers
Cream bridge covered neck
black bridge covered neck
Double creams
Double blacks

All would look good.

MiniB

Reaction score
I see you’re also planning on to wrapping. It seems this guitar is going to get lots of playing time. That’s awesome.
That's just the aged hardware I photoshopped in, but I'll see what the bridge height is like. That'll be what determines for me whether I top wrap or not.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed.
Not a huge fan of the aged covers.
Basically, I think aged covers look out of place unless it's a complete package... all of the hardware comparably aged, and the finish dulled, like a VOS.
IMHO, aged covers look as out of place on a new Original Series as oxidized mag wheels on a new Mustang.
I wanted to change up my Original 60s with speed knobs, and being unsure, I ordered both vintage amber and standard gold.
The amber just didn't look right on the pristine new body. Regular gold looks just right.

knobs.jpg

Latest Threads