Should I change out my '57 Classics?

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay,just a bit of a free for all with the 57s.....please pay no attention to the playing(my timings way off,damn meds) and its really to showcase an amp.....however,the 57s shine,man. Just give’em a chance.....

And yes,the camera is sideways (like I said,damn meds:lol:)

warmachine

Reaction score
I got a Pearly Gates in the bridge of a 335 copy with a Jazz in the neck. Sounds not bad through my Blues Jr with an overdrive pedal...but when I ran it into the dirty channel of a Peavey Classic 30....Whoa!!! Sweet sweet sweet!

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got a Pearly Gates in the bridge of a 335 copy with a Jazz in the neck. Sounds not bad through my Blues Jr with an overdrive pedal...but when I ran it into the dirty channel of a Peavey Classic 30....Whoa!!! Sweet sweet sweet!
Damn good to see y’all around here,brother!!:cheers2:

scrumm21

Reaction score
Okay,just a bit of a free for all with the 57s.....please pay no attention to the playing(my timings way off,damn meds) and its really to showcase an amp.....however,the 57s shine,man. Just give’em a chance.....

And yes,the camera is sideways (like I said,damn meds:lol:)
I want your meds....maybe it'll improve My playing

scrumm21

Reaction score
You should check out "Dave's world of fun stuff" on Youtube and see what he says about people spending money on upgrading Epi's
This IS a subject of great debate for sure !!....my .02....I upgraded pots\ wiring harness (50s style wiring ) which i assembled from scratch on my 2014 Epi Red Royale Std.....got a Great deal on ReWind low output pickups and dropped em in.(James at ReWind makes Killer pickups - nothing new there)....new nut... fret crown and polish....So probably got about $800 max invested in it. Will put it up against any $2,000 guitar. Prefer it to my Gibson Les Paul Jr, and my '15 Gibson SG, and goes toe to toe with my 1988 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom ( which is a pretty sweet guitar - imo). .I have NO intention of Ever selling it so concerns of "resale" value Never crosses my mind !

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This IS a subject of great debate for sure !!....my .02....I upgraded pots\ wiring harness (50s style wiring ) which i assembled from scratch on my 2014 Epi Red Royale Std.....got a Great deal on ReWind low output pickups and dropped em in.(James at ReWind makes Killer pickups - nothing new there)....new nut... fret crown and polish....So probably got about $800 max invested in it. Will put it up against any $2,000 guitar. Prefer it to my Gibson Les Paul Jr, and my '15 Gibson SG, and goes toe to toe with my 1988 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom ( which is a pretty sweet guitar - imo). .I have NO intention of Ever selling it so concerns of "resale" value Never crosses my mind !
Brother,when one finds that guitar (or guitars),its on,ya know?

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
When I first got my Tribute Plus I was really underwhelmed with it. But I switched to 50's wiring (only variation I did was a 17nF cap on the neck pickup instead of the 22) and adjust pickup height/pole height. Man, that guitar came alive after that. If it wasn't for that Slim Taper neck I'd still have that guitar.

tjdjr1

Reaction score
What sounds bad in one guitar may sound good in another. I have had the stockers in my 16 Trad until last month I put in some Mojotone 59 Clones with the A4 magnets, I like it a lot and put the 57 and 57+ in my 1980 Standard which had Planet tone 59's in it and much improved the tone of that guitar. Pup height changes the tone but also the sensitivity, so it can be a trade off sometimes.. Good Luck. Trust your ears !

Saiko

Reaction score
For what it's worth, my Traditional came with '57 Classics. I tried some '59 humbuckers in it (The Gibson 59's, not Duncan) as well as a Burstbucker 3 and an original T-Top in the bridge at one point... the Original 57's are back in the guitar. I really liked the other pickups but I realized that the 57s were part of what I loved about that particular guitar. Every piece goes into the overall tone.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I have a pair of original unpotted 57Classic's in my SG Standard with a 50's harness and they are absolutely the most airy and articulate pair I have. I have thought about trying them in a Lester, but stop myself not wanting to muck with this awesome sounding SG! :cool2:

Latest Threads