Should I be Worried ?! - Neck Binding Lacquer Crack LES PAUL 2021 STANDARD

kingfredward

Reaction score
I bought this beautiful 2021 Les Paul Standard. However, when it arrived I noticed it has some of the lacquer which has come off around the 13/14 Fret on the binding. Does not appear to have any other damage...

Is this an easy fix? Should I be worried ?

Many thanks

kingfredward

Reaction score
20210906_223138-01.jpeg
20210906_223329-01.jpeg

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am usually understanding of some imperfections especially if the guitar has that mojo. But you have to decide. If I thought this guitar played and/or sounded just ok to good then it would probably go back.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Is that a crack or is that a chunk missing? Either way Peter's right - that's unacceptable. A good luthier could fill that, but given that it's a brand new guitar you may just want to do a warrantee swap as Peter suggests.

Reaction score
My 50s Standard Gold Top had a similar chunk missing around the same frets on the high e side, so I can’t see it while playing. I also don’t feel it at all.
Since it was the only Gold Top I could actually play before buying, and the shop gave me $400 off, I was fine with it. $2,100 for a new 50s Standard with a small chunk of binding lacquer missing felt reasonable, especially since I loved the guitar. If it ever starts to spread, I’ll just get the area repaired.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah ok i can see it, the laquer actually peeled off between those two “Crack” looking marks.I at first thought those were 2 cracks, but yes its a chunkbof laquer that peeled off.

This is pretty easy...you bought this new, and it came like this?
Send that back, unless it does not bother you, however that will eventually happen.My 2018 R0 1960 burst, laquer peeled off the side of the nut and made a little tear in the laquer going onto the neck, and it is basically a case queen,and happend from me playing at the nut a little bit.My hand stuck to the laquer and it pulled off....I got really pissed, but then got over it

My 2019 60th Anniversary R9 1959 Burst, is unplayed, and i pulled it out from under the bed a few weeks ago, and found that the laquer started cracking under the binding on the neck, going into the cutout, i got enraged, as this is the only one of my Custom Shop les pauls to have done this, but heard that Gibson Changed the laquer in 2019 to more vintage correct stuff that is softer, and more brittle.Who knows, but
Although i knew and expected that my Historics were going to develop paint cracks and stuff eventually.

mjross

Reaction score
Gibson sure is lowering the bar as of late - sad to see these threads - Epiphones are flawless for the most part at a much much lower cost.
Well…not always! I got a JB Firebird that was FAR from flawless! However, Epi is FAR better than they use to be. This Firebird was a nice player though.

Last edited:

Pancreas

Reaction score
I would send it back, the only cracks/ dings on my 2019 Traditional were put there by me. That's too big of an error to overlook, especially for Gibson money.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention guys its a second hand guitar from an online retailler. It was 300 quid off otherwise mint. Would it be any point messaging the retailller over it?

the trouble is its t View attachment 559531 he perfect burst

Well, you got a pretty good amount of opinions telling you, what we would do.It sounds like you are ok with, it and want to keep it, and that is fine...the last thing you said, is “The trouble is” its the “Perfect” Burst.....

i would say, thats that , I would contact the seller,and let them know what you found,and see if they knew about it, and maby get more money off, or a repair....otherwise....Happy NGD

Latest Threads