Should I be worried about this truss rod?

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a 2015 Gibson Firebird. It’s about an hour drive and from the ad and photos, I’m pretty satisfied. The one thing I did ask for is a shot of the truss rod. I always like to make sure it’s not maxed out one way or the other.

The photo he sent was really dark. I lightened it up and it looks like the rod is at least a thread or two inside the nut. Not a big deal as long as the neck isn’t too flat and I don’t have any more room to loosen it.

Original pic
BF1B867C-7593-4DC2-BEC8-CB71929551C8.jpeg

Here it is, cropped and lightened
6EBD32A5-1B65-43A5-8A66-5DE9E7875598.jpeg

I asked for another pic and told him I just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t too far in. He said it was fine and asked if I wanted another pic. Then 2 hours later, he sent this.
4E3539C1-C1A2-4ED6-B6CA-BA3FD0C47E00.jpeg

Now, I’d say that “okay, I guess it was just harder to see in the first pic” except that he clearly tightened it up. In the first photo, the “peak” of the nut is at around 11 o’clock. Definitely left of noon. In the second photo, it’s pretty much dead centre. Seeing that, I’m pretty certain he gave it a good crank to get the rod poking out. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Thoughts?

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a Gibsons guitar?

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Is this a Gibsons guitar?
Yes.

looks fine.
It's fine.
While I agree that the truss rod as it sits now is fine and would not concern me in the slightest normally.

What has my Spidey-senses tingling is that in photo 1, the rod appears to be at least 2 threads into the nut. In photo 2, it’s flush with the end. Does that mean he gave it a full turn or two?!?

failsafe306

Reaction score
Sounds like he may be trying to pass off a back bowed neck, seeing as how the nut is clearly loose in the first pic.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You could ask for a pic from the side with a straight edge on the fretboard.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Are those pictures of the same guitar?

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
You could ask for a pic from the side with a straight edge on the fretboard.
I’m going to make the drive to see it in person. Even if he does manage to get an in focus photo showing the right area, it’ll be hard to judge neck relief from a cell phone pic.

I’m actually going to see 2 guitars so even if the FB is a bust, there’s still the SG.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those pictures of the same guitar?
Yeah some of the dust specks are definitely visible and in the same place in both sets of pics

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the Gibson models I’ve ever owned had two truss rod cover screw holes next to the nut. Maybe some models do...none of my Les Pauls ever have

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the Gibson models I’ve ever owned had two truss rod cover screw holes next to the nut. Maybe some models do...none of my Les Pauls ever have
Firebird

warprider

Reaction score
That nut looks like it has been turned between photos. It might be the seller wasnt understanding what you were inquiring about. I cant see any truss rod location in those 1st 2 pics.

If you go check it out take a notched flat edge and see how the neck is at the moment. Compare the nut in images to in person.

Let us know. Love me some Firebird.

Latest Threads