Should I Be Concerned?

adammcneese

Reaction score
Should I be concerned about some simple fret buzzing on my brand new Les Paul Traditional when played acoustically? When I play out of my amp I cannot hear any buzzing but while jamming late night unplugged there is this annoying buzz on the G string and a couple of notes on my D string.
I took it to my Luthier and he leveled/crowned/polished all my frets and gave a professional set up. I brought it back to him to address the buzzing on the G string. He made some adjustments and it helped a little but there is still a buzz on the first 3 frets of the G string. I think he is fed up with me because he gave me my money back and said there is nothing more he can do. Am I just being anal (quit possible) or is this a problem in your opinion.
I should say that the guitar plays like a dream. I love it! It just seems a little weird that a $2000 guitar would have this issue. I have grown up playing mostly acoustic and this is only my second electric guitar i've ever owned, so maybe this is a normal thing. Your opinion/advice on this issue would be great. Thanks in advance.

Adam

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Normal? Preferences??

I tend to set my action very low. I bring my action down to where I just get the point your talking about - a little buzz that is not heard when plugged in. To me, this is no problem but the outcome of my preferred set up.

Now on my acoustics - I'd freak.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Just curious, is this your first Les Paul?

I played Strats and Teles for many years. It was just natural to me to spank the hell out of a Strat. When I started playing LPs, I found they take a much lighter touch with more finesse. All my LPs buzz and rattle slightly when playing unplugged. Since it is so quiet you tend to attack the strings harder.

If you are not getting any annoying sounds when you are plugged in, I wouldn't worry about it.

James R

Reaction score
No, don't be concerned.
You could chase that annoying little buzz around for years and in the end all you'll have is a buzzing guitar and far less sanity.

On another note, since the guitar plays like "a dream" and the buzz is very common and not an issue when playing through an amp, maybe you should offer that money back to your luthier?
A good, trustworthy tech or luthier is worth his weight in gold imo. A humble apology and an offer to pay him for the work he did can go a long way in getting you back in his good books.
Just my opinion, no offense intended.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
It's meant to be plugged in, man.

Buzz is negligible if you can't hear it amplified.

If you want low and easy action, then that's the trade off.

If you hit a guitar string hard enough, it will buzz anywhere. I hit hard, and as long as it's not audible out the amp, i could care less. I have a friend with super low action and dropped tuned 9s on a Jackson and his touch is light enough to where I don't hear any buzz until I play it. -.-

Seriously. There's tons of threads about this.

EDIT: not trying to be rude. My bad. Sometimes buzz isn't indicative of a problem. If it's not coming out the amp, it's negligible. Don't stress too much.

adammcneese

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your opinions and advice. This is my first LP and I appreciate your input. @James R - as far as returning the money I totally agree with you. In fact I tried to let him know it was not necessary to refund me but he insisted. I feel bad that I annoyed him. I guess I'm a little confused because he acknowledged the buzzing in our original visit and said he could fix it. He told me to let him know if I come across any problems. So when it persisted I thought brining it to his attention was part of the process. Oh well. Live and learn I guess.
Thanks again for all your input.

budg

Reaction score
Any electric guitar that buzzes while unplugged , but not plugged in is no concern to me. Sounds pretty normal. No worries.

suedehead

Reaction score
As others have said, an element of acoustic buzz is inevitable for most low set-ups. If it bothers you too much, you can pay your tech to either build up the nut to raise the action at those lower frets or have a new one cut.

Most people learn to live with it.

Best of luck, whichever route you take.

But importantly, post pics of your new guitar!!!

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
On one of my guitars...for the longest time, it had some buzzing here and there. I performed a fret level and dress, which I thought I'd done before to the guitar in question, but apparently not.

After I set up the neck for straightness, and began the process, I realized that many of the frets on the high side were in fact off. Now, the guitar plays like butter.

So just some words of wisdom...most new guitars can benefit a little from a fret level/dress, and some a lot more. I bet you'll be very surprised to see how much better your guitar will feel and sound after taking it ot a good luthier.

paco1976

Reaction score
If it not noticeable when unplugged leave it. Otherwise you will never end with set up, adjustments, truss rod, fret leveling... leave it really.
All my guitars are like that, I prefer rather low action and it happens that unplugged it slightly buzzes at 9th to 11th fret, and nothing when plugged therefore I don't mind.

ARandall

Reaction score
One person might find a guitar buzzes only slightly, where another finds it intolerable. It has a lot to do with the way you play as much as anything else. Setup is very personal, and it is one of those things you need to discover for yourself.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Good luck with the G-string. I've had that same problem on my last three LPs. Right around the 3-5 frets. Everywhere else? Perfect. It's so mild, and can't be heard even with low volume amplification, that it doesn't bother. At least on my most recent LP. The first two that had this issue (even after pro setup) went back on return.

SgtStryker0331

Reaction score
Having just survived my own struggle with fret buzz (I made a thread about it a couple days ago), my question is what does your action look like? I had too little relief but since I wasn't using feeler gauges, and since I was measuring it wrong like a twit, I thought I had too much. So having just been through all that with a grumpy, buzzy guitar, I'm wondering if you have a very low action? Have you measured? I suspect your tech (or you) could eliminate your buzz by just raising the action. But nobody wants that, right? There are no perfect solutions though, only tradeoffs.

I'd be ok with slight buzz on three frets of a G string.

adammcneese

Reaction score
The first step we took was to level, crown and polish the frets. He then lowered the action slightly. After we discussed the buzzing on the G strin he built up the nut just a little on that particular string. It helped, but did not eliminate the buzzing. After all the advice from the above comments I am feeling much better about the situation. I guess my inexperience led me to believe there should be absalutly no buzzing at all along the entire fret board. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful advice.

adammcneese

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my 2013 LP Traditional in Caramel Burst. I also play her out of a Marshall DSL15C.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 34

Bombur

Reaction score
Just curious, is this your first Les Paul?

I played Strats and Teles for many years. It was just natural to me to spank the hell out of a Strat. When I started playing LPs, I found they take a much lighter touch with more finesse. All my LPs buzz and rattle slightly when playing unplugged. Since it is so quiet you tend to attack the strings harder.

If you are not getting any annoying sounds when you are plugged in, I wouldn't worry about it.

That's exactly what I was going to say. A little buzzing is ok.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what you need to realize about fret buzzing or properly described as strings hitting up against frets....Is this.....It's a sustain killer... That's correct, it's bad. Anything that interferes with the clean vibration of those strings kills sustain. So, is it bad? You need to answer that question...

adammcneese

Reaction score
@ James R - I did take your advice and gave the Luthier his check back due to the fact that he not only earned it, but the guitar plays great. He apologized for loosing his patients with me. All and all, things worked out well.

Latest Threads