Should I avoid this defect?

Brewdude

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but I'm eying up where I will be cutting out a DC Special body and wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything stupid before I proceed...

The blank is a nice piece of Limba with a few blemishes and I'm not sure if I should avoid them or not when cutting it to shape. Theres a nice little bit of flame that I'd like to capture if possible but it is really close to this defect (not sure what the correct term is?). When tapping it with my knuckle it has a distinctly different sound than the rest of the body but its so far away from the bridge or pickups that I'm not worried about it. I just want to make sure its not going to open up or anything down the road and cause any serious structural issues.

The sides are sealed so I can't see how far down it goes but it is not present on the other face so I'm reasonably confident it isn't a major issue. So should I avoid it at all costs or is it ok to work with?

Here is a close up of the offending defect:
35429509860_1a03eb8d1b_b.jpg

Here is a smaller one,
35685833301_15520a109b_b.jpg

And the whole blank, as you can see I can definitely move it if need be:
34977898944_e456dd0a3e_b.jpg

pshupe

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily avoid them but I wouldn't have them on the edge of the guitar. You can fill them with CA glue. It doesn't look like you will be able to get two bodies from that blank so I think the dashed LP outline is probably your best choice. I like that kind of stuff. It lets you know it's wood and unique.

You might be able to sneak it under the pick guard if you are lucky. What's the other side like? You may be able to place it inside the control cavity?

Cheers Peter.

Brewdude

Reaction score
Would you advise against them being on the edge because it may be unstable? I could see routing around it could be tricky If I'm not careful...

I agree these sorts of streaks in the wood are very interesting, thats why I'm trying to capture that bit of a flame on the bottom side of the blank, but its not the end of the world if I can't. Lots of cool character on the top to chose from!

Sadly the other side is a bit more boring in comparison:
35827778765_83c98a467b_b.jpg

KnightroExpress

Reaction score
I agree with Peter, as long as you fill those spots with CA and keep them off the edges (could blow out when routing or radiusing), they're a nice bit of character.

Brewdude

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys! I'll play around with moving the template around and be real careful when cutting around it if need be.

Latest Threads