Should Gibson bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA line?

Should Gibson bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA line?

• Bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA

Votes: 56 63.6%
  • Don't care about LP Custom at all - I'd buy LP Modern or Standard instead

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • If I'm buying LP Custom, it has to be Custom Shop. And I'll take it over the Historic 1968 Custom

Votes: 24 27.3%

• Total voters

filtersweep

Reaction score
You got it, my friend!

The only way to get a cheaper one-pice mahogany body guitar with ebony fingerboard and multi-ply binding is making them overseas.

I don't know where people get this idea that Regular Customs would be cheaper in the USA production line.

They have been at this price range for over 20 years.
Custom Lites were blown out for $1000-12000. Granted they use rosewood, half the body binding, and a little less wood.

Injector

Reaction score
I respect your opinion and I understand why people would want that... more people would be able to afford them. But first of all, the word Custom is in the damn name - anything less than that is basically false advertising. Sure they could make a USA model that looks similar, but an assembly line Les Paul is NOT a Custom. The modern USA line is not the same as it used to be - it’s all about efficiency, cost-cutting, and fast turnaround while still putting out a quality product these days, which is fine, but after the founding of the Custom Shop the quality differences between the divisions is glaringly obvious. They wouldn’t be in the same league as the USA Customs of the 70s-80s for instance. The Les Paul Standard is their flagship model - Customs are (and should be) in a higher tier, as their name indicates.

Bottom line is, sure more people would be able to afford them, but the quality of a Les Paul Custom - one of their top tier models - would suffer, and in the end we’d all lose. More people would get a lesser quality guitar and the Custom Shop customers would lose a favorite, classic model. All that said, I think the pricing in general has gotten outrageous and they should be one of, if not THE, most affordable/accessible models from the Custom Shop. They should be much less than an R8, but right now they’re in the same ballpark.

Just my two cents. I don’t think it makes sense, as appealing as it sounds.
It just has an ebony board, gold hardware and double binding. There is nothing outlandishly premium about it. My midrange acoustic has all those features. You can buy a 'cheap' USA Standard and an expensive reissue Standard so there's no reason why you couldn't buy one of each when it comes to the Les Paul Custom. It's a 'Custom', it doesn't have to be from the Custom Shop. My Memphis ES335 came in a hardcase that says 'Gibson Custom' on it and it is a USA model.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
The amount of contempt the Regular Custom Shop LP gets here is ridiculous.
This is all quite elitist.

Such features as the swiss cheese holes, Nashville style bridge and short tenon are not synonyms for downgrade or lesser quality materials. They're simply not historic specs.
Also, Regular Customs haven't been boat anchors for quite some time now.

There is a considerable leap in attention to detail, finish and materials from the Standard to the Regular Custom Shop line, even before the custom shop was moved apart.
Which seems to be completely ignored as well.

And lastly, it has been in this same price range for decades.
Here's a photo out of the 2001 Guitar Buyer's Guide:

View attachment 535034

In conclusion, the Regular Custom has always been a step up from the Standard USA line and has always costed what is costs.
So it sounds like some of you guys just don't think the Regular Customs are worthy of being built in the Custom Shop side to side with your beloved Historics.
Glad you called it for what it is, elitist. I've never thought of the short tenon, ABR6, etc as being some downgrade... that's absurd to think so.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if Gibson cut the price to $3500......they're not gonna sell many.

Just too many options in that price range to justify a run-of-the-mill Custom.

The higher price tag keeps just enough of them in production to justify Gibson's cost.

Might as well wish for J-Lo to sit on your face......

Last edited:

lwchafin

Reaction score
Yep, Reverb has them from $3600 to $9200, and MF has one for $6700. I look a the issue as being one of details and finish level - I leave it to Gibson to decide which of its lines are up to that production level. The Custom is above my budget and limited noodling prowess although I love looking at them and expect I'd love the feel and playability.

Best I can tell, what we call the Custom Shop now began in 1993 to build reissues. The LP Custom predates it by about 39 years, but really in 1954 I'm guessing that the work on almost every electric guitar that came from Kalamazoo was more or less custom, i.e. built and finished by hand, than the production guitars that come from Tennessee today.

Could Gibson make an LP Custom on its Gibson USA line? I'm betting it could, but would it have all the features, fit and finish of a CS LP Custom? No. Question for Gibson if they were considering that is how many could they sell at what price and still make a buck without diminishing the brand? That is a question I figure Gibson will have to answer, and I bet that there are more than a couple of the Gibson folks who read My Les Paul threads - maybe even this one.

Injector

Reaction score
Glad you called it for what it is, elitist. I've never thought of the short tenon, ABR6, etc as being some downgrade... that's absurd to think so.
Elitist, meh. Things like long tenons are what you're getting for your CS entry fee. The basic LP Custom is a glorified weight-relieved Standard with an ebony board. Ever seen how much an ebony board goes for? Very little. There is no justification whatsoever IMO to have the basic LP Custom costing what it does.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elitist, meh. Things like long tenons are what you're getting for your CS entry fee. The basic LP Custom is a glorified weight-relieved Standard with an ebony board. Ever seen how much an ebony board goes for? Very little. There is no justification whatsoever IMO to have the basic LP Custom costing what it does.
Profit.............Gibson is not in business to break even. Selling more for less is not a good business model.... Selling more for more is. Or selling less for a lot more is better.......less overhead and all that...... profit...deal with it.

60'svibe

Reaction score
When it comes to LPs, I prefer either very plain (do you recall the poster/LP jacket from 1971 with T-Rex holding a stripped top LP Custom for the "Bang A Gong" cut?). OR...a factory issued LP Custom in Black. I am not a fan of the grossly over done "Tiger Striped Flame Tops". I find them too gaudy. I had a LP custom (in black) that I bought used in 1971 for $300. Wish I still had it. The only LP I have had in recent years is my LP Modern Tribute, which is a beautiful 'plain jane'. And yes Gibson should offer a standard isssue LP custom in a couple of colors. I did own a cherry sunburst custom in the mid-1980's as well but I prefer the Black Custom model.

filtersweep

Reaction score
The Custom Lites were built by Gibson USA, sort of proving the OP right. They could make regular Customs at USA for sure. The 2013 Midtown Customs were also made at Gibson USA and not the Custom shop.
As an owner of a Custom Lite- everyone seems to go out of their way to point out that it isn’t a ‘real Custom.’ No shit?!? It doesn’t pretend to be.

bryvincent

Reaction score
The current regular custom has long neck tenon.

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
Guys, we are really discussing zip codes at this point.

Here’s more from the 2000-2001 Guitar World Buyers Guide for reference.

USA Production Models:

Les Paul Standard - $3,299
Les Paul Classic Plus - $3,800

Les Paul Custom - $4,499

Custom Shop Models:

Les Paul Elegant - $5,300

Peter Frampton Signature - $5,800

’59 Reissue - $8,100

IMG_6357.jpg

This was years before the Custom Shop moved.

Plus in the used market, it doesn’t make a difference at all.

Nowadays older USA Customs are generally more desired and pricier than newer ones made in the custom shop.

That’s why it sounds purely like a pedigree thing more than anything else.

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, we are really discussing zip codes at this point.

Here’s more from the 2000-2001 Guitar World Buyers Guide for reference.

USA Production Models:

Les Paul Standard - $3,299
Les Paul Classic Plus - $3,800

Les Paul Custom - $4,499

Custom Shop Models:

Les Paul Elegant - $5,300

Peter Frampton Signature - $5,800

’59 Reissue - $8,100

View attachment 535495

This was years before the Custom Shop moved.

Plus in the used market, it doesn’t make a difference at all.

Nowadays older USA Customs are generally more desired and pricier than newer ones made in the custom shop.

That’s why it sounds purely like a pedigree thing more than anything else.
The Custom Shop was an Independent Shop seperate from The USA Shop in 1993.....

The Les Paul Custom didn't start production in the Custom Shop till 2003-4

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
The Custom Shop was an Independent Shop seperate from The USA Shop in 1993.....

The Les Paul Custom didn't start production in the Custom Shop till 2003-4
The original post is referring to mid 2000s Custom Shop.
In 2006 Gibson Custom Shop moved to a separate facilty and even Regular Customs were given COAs and stuff.

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
Even if Gibson cut the price to $3500......they're not gonna sell many.

Just too many options in that price range to justify a run-of-the-mill Custom.

The higher price tag keeps just enough of them in production to justify Gibson's cost.

Might as well wish for Jay-Lo to sit on your face......
You said it. I don't care in which division LP Custom is made, I am not spending $4500 or even $3500 on a run of the mill guitar.

OP mentioned young aspiring musicians dreaming about LP Custom, well they are not going to spend $4000-5000 on a guitar. What they can do is to buy Epiphone Custom for $600 and get 90% of the functionality and 98% of the looks of Gibson Custom. With upgraded headstock and pickups on 2020 Epi Custom no one would be able to see the difference when they play that Epiphone LP Custom on stage.

Noah330

Reaction score
Playing devils advocate here. I’d like to have a Lexus GS-350 however I want Toyota to make it so I can afford it. At what point would this end? Flipping the script, there are also people who want to buy their first Custom Shop guitar and the Custom is lowest price tier in the line up which makes that dream obtainable. What about those folks if the Custom was moved to USA? Just food for thought.
On the other hand I used to have a butterscotch Custom with Super 400 inlays. It was a limited run guitar that I loved and regret selling to this day so I appreciate your position.
Well, FMIC could always buy Gibson and make the Custom in China. I mean, they destroyed the names Fender, Guild, Gretsch, etc... by just making low end garbage with the (once) great names on them so I have no doubt they would love to do that with Gibson.

Basically, when I was younger getting a brand name guitar like a Gibson, Fender, etc... was a big deal and usually it meant a lot of saving and dreaming. Today it's not about playing or the quality of the instrument it's about amassing a bunch of name brands for as cheap as possible. Then you yell into the echo chamber of the internet that your third world el cheapo is better than the old ones and pretty soon people are convinced!

Latest Threads