Should Gibson bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA line?

Should Gibson bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA line?

• Bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA

Votes: 56 63.6%
  • Don't care about LP Custom at all - I'd buy LP Modern or Standard instead

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • If I'm buying LP Custom, it has to be Custom Shop. And I'll take it over the Historic 1968 Custom

Votes: 24 27.3%

• Total voters

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
Although pretty insignificant with current CNC processes.
The blank is on the table a few minutes longer, and there's a little more wear on the router bit.

It's not like 15 years ago when it meant that the blank had to move from the band saw to a drill press with a Forstner bit... though before CNC it was likely done with the same bit that bored out the corners of the control and switch cavities.... so 14 holes instead of 5.
You're right!
I guess what I said applies to modern and chambered weight relief these days if so.

Apologies shelkonnery & rogueaverage616, I was clumsily attempting to ask a rhetorical question about the 9 hole weight relief and it’s relative desirability, as I understand that non-weight relieved is usually viewed as the superior spec. I realise now I didn’t express myself very clearly. I appreciate your answers and perspectives, though.
It's all good, man!
I clearly got carried away :thumb:

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
they do make the custom in the regular gibson line....the white studios with ebony boards and 490/498 pups. Aside from binding and headstock, its just a blinged out studio. I get where this post is coming from. Gibson usa did the custom lites and custom classics in the regular line for about the price of a contemporary standard

hell, id still buy an LPC but theyre just so hard to find nowadays. Id maybe pay 3k for one used, but def not 4500 for a new one

Saiko

Reaction score
Nothing to say here except I agree with many of you. They should make the "standard" Custom a USA model again and you can still have reissue Customs (50's, 60's, 70's) made in the Custom Shop. My '84 Custom is the best guitar I have played and it was just made in the "regular" Gibson USA factory. I will add that I paid modern CS money for mine as well so my opinion has nothing to do with cost alone.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought..........if the Custom would return to the standard USA production line......all those Custom Shop LP Customs will increase in value (even the Richlite ones).....for no other reason than Custom Shop made...... even if the USA version shared the exact same specs.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
they do make the custom in the regular gibson line....the white studios with ebony boards and 490/498 pups. Aside from binding and headstock, its just a blinged out studio. I get where this post is coming from. Gibson usa did the custom lites and custom classics in the regular line for about the price of a contemporary standard

hell, id still buy an LPC but theyre just so hard to find nowadays. Id maybe pay 3k for one used, but def not 4500 for a new one
If only they still made those ebony board studios.

The older models with the ebony boards are creeping up in price, but I guess it’s still much cheaper than what a Custom usually sells for.

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
I see no reason why they couldn't include at least a black 1950s-style LP Custom model within the Gibson USA "Original Collection" -- it would seem to be a natural fit with everything else they have done with that line and is, arguably, one of the glaring omissions from that collection at the moment.

Just as they did two versions of the '50s Standard goldtop (PAF and P90), they could equally do a black '50s Custom in two versions with either 2xPAF or the P90/Alnico "staple" combo. I'd be near the front of the queue for the latter! :cool2:

I'm sure a 3xPAF version of the '50s Custom could appear intermittently as a special run.

The conflation between Custom as a model type and Custom Shop as a different level of build and fittings is irritating sometimes. I would love to see the 1950s LP Custom appear within the Original Collection!

PhilipElder1984

Reaction score
I own a 2013 Custom Lite. The back isn’t bound. I bought it used for well under a grand.

The quality is adequate, but the nibs aren’t perfect, and it has a finish run on the neck.

i am not convinced that they are the easiest guitars to build.
The Custom Lites were built by Gibson USA, sort of proving the OP right. They could make regular Customs at USA for sure. The 2013 Midtown Customs were also made at Gibson USA and not the Custom shop.

Noah330

Reaction score
I’m not really a fan of the specs on the Custom, especially the Richlite because the ebony board is one of the premium features of the LPC (or was).

just a guess but maybe the time required to make one with all the binding along with the fact that there are less made puts them into the CS because changing over a production line from SGs, Standards, etc… wouldn’t be worth it from a financial point of view.

I have an early 70s LPC and dont see the new ones often but they do sell them so someone is buying.

premiumplus

Reaction score
My parents bought me a 1968 Les Paul Custom when I graduated from high school in 1970. When the limited edition 50th Anniversary LP Custom came out in 2018 I went for it and I'm so, so glad I did. It's a great Les Paul, and I've owned a few in the 54 or so years I've been playing. I compared mine to a vintage '68 Custom and my new one was better in every way.
Should it be in the regular line up? It was in 1968, so why not?

smallstar67

Reaction score
First of all, :welcome:

The Flagship Les Paul has always been the Standard. The Custom was the "Tuxedo" Les Paul.

I had a 2007 Custom Shop Custom that I so regret selling.

I also have a 1991 Custom that is killer.

Maybe you could look for an early 90s Custom???? Many will agree, many will disagree, but 1989-1993 Les Pauls are viewed by many as being excellent years for Les Pauls.
I have an 89 sunburst custom and a 92 oxblood custom, without question the best sounding and playing of all my standards and Gold tops. To me coming up the LP Custom was always the first choice. Long ago I restored a 72 faded white Custom, it was very heavy and didn't have the proper pickups for what I was doing, but I agree the late 80's early 90's still sound and play better than the 72.

DMBwire

Reaction score
I think Gibson should make Les Paul Custom available as a regular Gibson USA model.
They used make these as Gibson USA until 2004, so that's not something unheard of.

The problem with the current situation where LP Custom is only available as a custom shop guitar is that it's out of reach of most people who'd be interested in it, and it's also not good value for the price it goes for -- more on that later.

Seeing as how Jerry Cantrell is now an Ambassador for Gibson, and he's mainly used/es Customs when it comes to Gibson Les Paul (with maybe an occasional use of Jurior, plus other non-LPs), it's only fair to make the LP Custom a part of Gibson USA family. They did, afterall, make Slash (another ambassador) model available in Gibson USA.
Afterall, why sign Jerry Cantrell if you're not going to be bothered to sell guitars to his fans? When you worship Jerry Cantrell, you want the type of Les Paul that Jerry Cantrell plays, and not Slash's sunburst, if you catch my drift (and no disrespect to Slash or the Sunburst intended).
LP Custom is more popular with alternative rock and metal crowd -- for the most part -- and these folks are by far not the custom shop top-of-the-line best-guitar-money-can-buy people. I think Gibson would sell more guitars to this crowd if they were to offer LP Custom in the Gibson USA line.

Lastly: Les Paul Custom was a big part of Gibson in the 1970s through to the 1990s. A generation of people grew up seeing THAT as THE Gibson Les Paul. Not as a luxury custom-shop item, but as a player's guitar. Another reason to properly represent the model in the affordable range of guitars.

Now on to the problem with LP Custom as a custom shop only model. The currently offered custom shop LP Custom quite inferior to the custom shop Historic 1968 Les Paul Custom reissue, but it's not THAT much less expensive that the Historic one. It's got lower grade mahogany than the Historic, comes with undesirable (in the custom shop community anyways) weight relief cheeseholes and inspite of that is still heavy as heck (unlike Historics!), and last but not least it has Gibson USA grade hardware and pickups. So it's a Gibson USA spec guitar made in the custom shop. It would be more than adequate for Gibson USA line as it is spec-wise, but when you pay custom shop money, you want custom shop specs --> that territory is covered by the 1968 Historic.

I heard some say that Les Paul Custom is the flagship model -- due to the gold-plated hardware and double-binding -- and therefore has to made by the custom shop excusively... as if to suggest that Gibson USA is not good enough to make an LP Custom model. Is that what Gibson think of their Gibson USA line? As not good enough? (I don't think so)
Be it as it may, I disagree with the whole "flagship model" narrative. LP Custom was supposed the flagship model back in the 1950s, but at this point (and has been the case for what, 40 years?), it's the '59 Sunburst Standard that everybody wants. Sunburst Standard '59 is the de facto flagship model. And that's the reason they sell a tonne of them in the Gibson USA line. And even back in het 50s, It's not like the Custom was built to a higher quality standard than the Standard -- it was the same guitar as the Standard, just a bit more "luxurious" in the looks department.
So if the LP Custom is too "important" a model to be built by Gibson USA, shouldn't the Sunburst Les Paul Standard be removed from the Gibson USA lineup too? That's a rethorical question. All's I'm saying is that the "it's too flagship to be tarnished by the Gibson USA brand" is a load of... I just debunked it.

To sum it up: Gibson custom shop is a valid model and there's reasons to buy Custom shop if you can afford and/or justify that to yourself. However, Gibson USA line exists -- and sells real well -- for a reason. Gibson USA is Gibson's bread and butter. Les Paul Custom deserves to be represented in the "bread and butter" range because despite of a few of its more visually upscale specs, it's a player's guitar preferred in certain situations to the Standard. And this is an excellent time to bring the LP Custom back to Gibson USA line -- I'm sure Jerry Cantrell tenure as an ambassador would boost the sales of these.

I wonder what others think. My agenda: hoping to discover more people wanting a Gibson USA LP Custom and Gibson getting the message. If I'm the only one here, that's cool.
Playing devils advocate here. I’d like to have a Lexus GS-350 however I want Toyota to make it so I can afford it. At what point would this end? Flipping the script, there are also people who want to buy their first Custom Shop guitar and the Custom is lowest price tier in the line up which makes that dream obtainable. What about those folks if the Custom was moved to USA? Just food for thought.
On the other hand I used to have a butterscotch Custom with Super 400 inlays. It was a limited run guitar that I loved and regret selling to this day so I appreciate your position.

Injector

Reaction score
I’m not really a fan of the specs on the Custom, especially the Richlite because the ebony board is one of the premium features of the LPC (or was).

just a guess but maybe the time required to make one with all the binding along with the fact that there are less made puts them into the CS because changing over a production line from SGs, Standards, etc… wouldn’t be worth it from a financial point of view.

I have an early 70s LPC and dont see the new ones often but they do sell them so someone is buying.
Nah. They would sell a ton if they took them out from under the Custom Shop umbrella. Also they dropped the Richlite boards a few years ago. Back to ebony now.

reelman955

Reaction score
First of all, :welcome:

The Flagship Les Paul has always been the Standard. The Custom was the "Tuxedo" Les Paul.

I had a 2007 Custom Shop Custom that I so regret selling.

I also have a 1991 Custom that is killer.

Maybe you could look for an early 90s Custom???? Many will agree, many will disagree, but 1989-1993 Les Pauls are viewed by many as being excellent years for Les Pauls.
I own a 92 LP standard wine red I consider priceless. I would never sell. It will be passed down. One fine playing and sounding heavy piece. Owned it since new.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
I own a 2013 Custom Lite. The back isn’t bound. I bought it used for well under a grand.

The quality is adequate, but the nibs aren’t perfect, and it has a finish run on the neck.

i am not convinced that they are the easiest guitars to build.
Man, I own a Custom Lite and I absolutely love mine. I love the idea of moving Customs it to Gibson USA!

'13 Custom Lite.JPG

djw171

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. It should be included within the original collection. Other variants could be added into the Custom Shop. Having said that when you are in that price range, I'd be looking at a McCarty 594.....;)

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I respect your opinion and I understand why people would want that... more people would be able to afford them. But first of all, the word Custom is in the damn name - anything less than that is basically false advertising. Sure they could make a USA model that looks similar, but I don’t see how an overseas assembly line Les Paul could be called a true Custom. The modern USA line is not the same as it used to be - it’s all about efficiency, cost-cutting, and fast turnaround while still putting out a quality product these days, which is fine, but after the founding of the Custom Shop the quality differences between the divisions is pretty obvious. They wouldn’t be in the same league as the USA Customs of the 70s-80s for instance. The Les Paul Standard is their flagship model - Customs are (and IMO should be) in a higher tier, as their name indicates.

Bottom line is, sure more people would be able to afford them, but the quality of a Les Paul Custom - one of their top tier models - would suffer, and in the end we’d all lose. More people would get a lesser quality guitar and the Custom Shop customers would lose a favorite, classic model. All that said, I think the pricing in general has gotten outrageous and they should be one of, if not THE, most affordable/accessible models from the Custom Shop. They should be much less than an R8, but right now they’re in the same ballpark.

Just my two cents. I don’t think it makes sense, as appealing as it sounds.

Last edited:

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
Very recently I acquired a Les Paul Custom, it’s a 2017 made at the Custom Shop: I only replaced the standard tuners with Sperzel locking ones, and the original tailpiece with an old TP6 that I had around the house for years, the Sperzel’s because I have to make sure that it stays 100% in tune, and the TP6 because it allows me to further fine tune and also because I like the look of it. Absolutely zero else to change/swap/replace, it's a perfect guitar.
Cut a story short, it’s become my 2nd #1 guitar along with my other #1 (two #1s make 11...?) which is another Custom Shop, a ‘58 Reissue, both guitars being way superior to the other USA Les Paul’s.
Here it is, with its companion Overdrive pedal, perfect combo.
IMG_0641.jpeg

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
I respect your opinion and I understand why people would want that... more people would be able to afford them. But first of all, the word Custom is in the damn name - anything less than that is basically false advertising. Sure they could make a USA model that looks similar, but an assembly line Les Paul is NOT a Custom. The modern USA line is not the same as it used to be - it’s all about efficiency, cost-cutting, and fast turnaround while still putting out a quality product these days, which is fine, but after the founding of the Custom Shop the quality differences between the divisions is glaringly obvious. They wouldn’t be in the same league as the USA Customs of the 70s-80s for instance. The Les Paul Standard is their flagship model - Customs are (and should be) in a higher tier, as their name indicates.

Bottom line is, sure more people would be able to afford them, but the quality of a Les Paul Custom - one of their top tier models - would suffer, and in the end we’d all lose. More people would get a lesser quality guitar and the Custom Shop customers would lose a favorite, classic model. All that said, I think the pricing in general has gotten outrageous and they should be one of, if not THE, most affordable/accessible models from the Custom Shop. They should be much less than an R8, but right now they’re in the same ballpark.

Just my two cents. I don’t think it makes sense, as appealing as it sounds.
You got it, my friend!

The only way to get a cheaper one-pice mahogany body guitar with ebony fingerboard and multi-ply binding is making them overseas.

I don't know where people get this idea that Regular Customs would be cheaper in the USA production line.

They have been at this price range for over 20 years.

djw171

Reaction score
You got it, my friend!

The only way to get a cheaper one-pice mahogany body guitar with ebony fingerboard and multi-ply binding is making them overseas.

I don't know where people get this idea that Regular Customs would be cheaper in the USA production line.

They have been at this price range for over 20 years.
it has a 2 piece maple cap, painted black, so it's not the finest AAA or anything and the black paint hides it anyway. 9 hole relief body, Nitro finish...nothing that the much different to the Modern Collection Classic. and really it's not like it will be a premium wood...That's the argument really the Custom should be in the Original range. Gibson have done well to cover the range so far just missing the one that it appears people want.

It was never a 'Custom' shop model before.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Not against any LP model.
But, in my time, I've owned a 1990 Std (Custom Shop); a 1991 Custom; and a 2012 Ltd Std.
The Custom was not one I particularly enjoyed and I flipped it almost immediately after I bought it.
I'd still like to find one I like and I am sure there will be one out there somewhere.
The 1990 Std took me two years to find.
:naughty:

Latest Threads