Should Gibson bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA line?

Should Gibson bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA line?

• Bring Les Paul Custom back to Gibson USA

Votes: 73 67.0%
  • Don't care about LP Custom at all - I'd buy LP Modern or Standard instead

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • If I'm buying LP Custom, it has to be Custom Shop. And I'll take it over the Historic 1968 Custom

Votes: 28 25.7%

• Total voters

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gibson already have an abundance of LP styles and Custom would be confusing with their Custom Shop guitars.
Good point.
It was really throwing me for a loop when I was shopping for my first one.
I avoided the used market right out because I couldn't make sense of the Studio/Tribute/Trad/Classic/Modern/HP.

I wanted a Standard.

I got a '19 Original Series Standard.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Good point.
It was really throwing me for a loop when I was shopping for my first one.
I avoided the used market right out because I couldn't make sense of the Studio/Tribute/Trad/Classic/Modern/HP.

I wanted a Standard.

I got a '19 Original Series Standard.
I had the same problem a few years back when I started playing again and wanted a LP. I ended up with a Studio just because of the price. I have a 60's Standard now as well.

They need to rethink their names because to me;
Standard sounds basic not their flagship.
Studio means professional level. Not budget end.
Traditional sounds more like what a Standard is.
Classic also sounds like it could also pass for what a Standard is.

Tribute and Modern are the only two where I hear the name and think that I might be getting something other than a traditional (oops Standard) styled LP.

Injector

Reaction score
Les Paul Custom reissues should stay in the Custom Shop but the regular Custom should be in the USA line for the same money as the Slash models. The reason Customs are so rare is because they're so damned expensive. Most people buy R7s and R8s when they have that kind of a budget.

sparky2

Reaction score
I don't have any strong feelings on this one way or the other.

The traditional (production line) Les Paul Custom was never exactly my cup of tea in the first place, and I couldn't ever see myself dropping that kind of coin on either variety of guitar.

:confused:

Sharp

Reaction score
I have an ‘82 custom that was made before there was a custom shop. Presumably the same people who made it made my studio standard. There’s not much historic about it, but it has the custom look. I don’t see why it couldn’t be produced in the USA line for a reasonable upcharge that accounts for gold plating and MOP. This thread needs pics:
35192208-D788-41CC-81CD-2DA59C850F21.jpeg

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Les Paul Custom reissues should stay in the Custom Shop but the regular Custom should be in the USA line for the same money as the Slash models. The reason Customs are so rare is because they're so damned expensive. Most people buy R7s and R8s when they have that kind of a budget.
Exactly, and well said -- The only thing I disagree with here is the pricing. It would make more sense for Gibson to price this Gibson-USA LPC line above the Slash model (i.e., to around $3500-ish) for better "price differentiation" in their models along with accounting for the higher-grade materials. binding, etc. Having the LPC split the difference in pricing between "a very nice guitar" (LP Std) and "luxury item" (R7/8/9/0) pricing levels seems like it would make a lot of sense. There are a lot of people right now willing to pay Standard prices but not R0 prices, where these buyers would likely consider a more reasonably priced LPC instead of a Standard, but would not consider a R0 at all. Additionally, the majority of their "purchaser demographic" grew up in a pre-Custom Shop age where there was simply Standards and. for a good bit more, a LPC. By doing this, they would be going much closer to that marketing model which would strongly resonate with their demographic. The final outcome for Gibson would be having the existing Standard and R7/8/9/0 sales being largely unaffected, while selling far more good-profit-margin Gibson-USA LPC's instead of a small number of CS LPC's, resulting in better overall profits for Gibson.

Knoby

Reaction score
I say yes to bring it back to the USA line. I've been using for a white one for a long time but the availability and the weight keep me away.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Shouldn't a custom be an easier/cheaper build since it doesnt have a maple cap?

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
You just want a cheaper (price wise) Les Paul Custom..... doesn’t matter what “line” it’s made on.....

Keep Dreaming
Exactly!
Most of you guys are missing this point.

The price range has always been this high.
Way before the Custom Shop was a thing.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
I agree. I want to purchase a custom black beauty but I I'm not going to pay custom shop prices. It would be nice if they added it to Gibson USA.

gball

Reaction score
I have been dreaming of the day they return the Custom to its rightful place, in the USA lineup. I'd buy one instantly if they did this. I don't buy into the Custom Shop hype, I've owned them and eventually sold them all, there is just not enough there to justify the cost.

Injector

Reaction score
I have been dreaming of the day they return the Custom to its rightful place, in the USA lineup. I'd buy one instantly if they did this. I don't buy into the Custom Shop hype, I've owned them and eventually sold them all, there is just not enough there to justify the cost.
It should be in both the USA and CS line-ups like the Standard LPs are and almost everything else. They can still do reissues of specific years and include the long tenon etc in the CS versions.

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
Nah. A LP Custom wasn't always twice the price of a Standard.
Look at these (UK) prices from 1999:

We should to take into account that prices float according to demand as well.

It’s funny to see how a 2 year gap can be so drastic (your ’99 catalog vs. my ’01 one).

In '01 it was already listed at $4,499 USD
The Custom Shop moved years after that.

We can keep going back to 1954 (LPC introdutcion) when the prices were:

Junior - $99 USD
Goldtop - $225 USD
Custom - $325 USD

Not proportionally as expensive as in the last 20 years, but still a considerable bump in price.

The Les Paul Custom was conceived as the high end/luxury/tuxedo version to begin with.

It’s always going to cost more. 
Regardless of where it is made.

Plus, they do share more similarities in construction and materials with Reissues than with Standards.
(They even have long neck tenon nowadays, check the Gibson website).
So it makes sense to keep them in the CS.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years back when I started playing again and wanted a LP. I ended up with a Studio just because of the price. I have a 60's Standard now as well.

They need to rethink their names because to me;
Standard sounds basic not their flagship.
Studio means professional level. Not budget end.
Traditional sounds more like what a Standard is.
Classic also sounds like it could also pass for what a Standard is.

Tribute and Modern are the only two where I hear the name and think that I might be getting something other than a traditional (oops Standard) styled LP.
The meaning of "Standard" depends on the context.
Typically, "Standards" are what all other things are measured by, which indeed would be the "flagship" product.
A "Flagship" product isn't necessarily the top of the line... the "Custom" does imply something special.

Studio made sense. "Professional".... yes... bare-bones, no bling, no bells and whistles, pure function.
The best value for a professional studio musician... who doesn't have the big bucks or sponsorships of the guy playing stadium shows.

I honestly thought the Tribute was an import... like the G&L Tribute line, I figured it was an Epiphone with a Gibson headstock.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can keep going back to 1954 (LPC introdutcion) when the prices were:

Junior - $99 USD
Goldtop - $225 USD
Custom - $325 USD

Not proportionally as expensive as in the last 20 years, but still a considerable bump in price.

Pretty good comparison
Current Original Goldtop is $2500, so that's 11.111x $225
Applying the same factor to the other two, Junior is $1100, when in reality it's $1500, and Custom would be $3600, which would be in the ballpark of where we might expect a non-Custom Shop Custom to be based on the current production ES models.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, :welcome:

The Flagship Les Paul has always been the Standard. The Custom was the "Tuxedo" Les Paul.

I had a 2007 Custom Shop Custom that I so regret selling.

I also have a 1991 Custom that is killer.

Maybe you could look for an early 90s Custom???? Many will agree, many will disagree, but 1989-1993 Les Pauls are viewed by many as being excellent years for Les Pauls.
My first les paul was a 1993 Wine red Gibson les paul Studio.My parents got me for christmas brand new in 1996,as a left over for $595 i think.That guitar ripped, i couldnt become attached to it because i didnt like the color...such an stupid immature move,to sell it.I regret it till this day

Latest Threads