Short Timers Syndrome

defcrew

Reaction score
The idea of getting paid for not working is something I'll never have to personally consider. Congrats though. I'm sure you have def earned it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Working out the structure with my "money guy" now. We're in the last mile ourselves. My wife is definitely punching out in Oct and I'm going day-to-day myself. It's hard walking away from the big paychecks, though. But, I'm done. I'm just hating the health care costs that I'll have to pay for 3 years, until Medicare kicks in. I wish the DC assholes didn't fuck with Obamacare. That was gonna be my bridge.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I could have gone out in January.. was right on the brink of filing when a dream job opportunity came along. I was out for a couple years, so the purpose, camaraderie, support group, and yes, the bigger paychecks than ever before all added up to having a go until I reach the max payout age. If I die at my desk, it'll have been a good run. And besides all that, I've added three more guitars to the herd with the revenue stream.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I can't actually afford to retire in Jan 2020 but I'm doing it anyway. I have all the gear I'll ever need and money will be tight but fuck it I'm done. Good for me my rent is cheap and I hope to have all the major stuff paid off by then. I might be able to get enough hours part time to be OK. If not, I'm moving to Quebec.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been retired for six years now... went out at age 54.

People told me I was nuts... I could have made a whole lot more money, and staying in the system would have given me a larger pension check.

Couldn't handle it, though. Thirty years of bullshit was enough for me. I left without looking back, and never did regret it.

And it worked out for me as it did for @dc007: ain't enough hours in the day to do all I wish to do.

I love it. 365 days a year of free time is hard to beat!

You're gonna LOVE it!

--R :thumb:

meatball

Reaction score
Two years out ,,,,,,can’t wait, my wife is retired and I am jealous But happy for ya guys and ladies that have already done so

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still have my shop but I retired from the college system at 54 with close to thirty in the system. Like others in here, I'd had enough. I did my job 100% until my last day though. I did slack off on attending worthless meetings..... My immediate boss said something to me about it while grinning and I told him I will retire before you can pile up enough paper to fire me so I pretty much was done with idiot meetings... He just laughed and said 'lucky bastard'... ;)

They offered me incentives to stay on, retirement paused a year at the time but I'd get my normal active full pay if I'd stay, etc. freaking etc., even said I would not be obligated to attend ANY meetings and have no-student-work-days off...Nawt. I was done on exit day. Period. No adjunct shit. Nada. Zip. Outa here. Get your Crayola and color me gone.... Felt damn good getting in my Jeep the last day and leaving for good....

One can always find something to do... I was a bona fide work-a-holic in my wife's eyes. I had several irons in the fire before retiring. Still do... I just don't have to roll out of the rack at 4 something in the morning....

I recommend retirement highly....because it really ain't retirement. You just do other lower stress stuff that YOU want to do....

Just don't sit on your ass every single day.... Too many former colleagues did that after retiring and just plain didn't last long......

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
My daughter is 6 (today, actually), so I plan on another 15yrs at the minimum. Bleh.
But I'm off work for 4 months at a time, so I guess it ain't so bad. :)
Congrats, man!
I'm not gonna be out here a minute longer than I need to. My needs are few.

My Les Paul Classifieds