Shipping Nitro Guitars In Cold Weather

treemanjohn

Reaction score
I've been a long time collector and its time to sell off. What are every thoughts on shipping guitars in the winter? I certainly don't want upset buyers or to fight with shipping companies over damage claims

Thanks in advance

BDW60

Reaction score
I've been a long time collector and its time to sell off. What are every thoughts on shipping guitars in the winter? I certainly don't want upset buyers or to fight with shipping companies over damage claims

Thanks in advance
Well, for one thing you’re never ever in a million years going to get a shipping claim resolved in your favor because a guitar finish checks because it went from cold to warm rapidly. So you wouldn’t be fighting about anything there if it happened. It’s pretty unlikely given the fact that the guitar isn’t going to be unpacked until it gets the the buyer. As long as the buyer lets the box warm up slowly unpacked for 5-6 hours, it will be fine.

The one factor I have considered is the reality of shipping gorillas and delivery guys handling the box when they themselves are cold and uncomfortable. They’re humans. They want to get out of the cold. Are they more likely to be careless? I dunno. Maybe.

GuitarsAnn

Reaction score
I know Dave's Guitar advises you wait 24 hours before opening shipments to allow items to slowly acclimate to large temperature swings. Good idea to thoroughly insulate to insure the temperature on the item shipped will more slowly reach temperature changes, avoiding instant temperature differentials.

treemanjohn

Reaction score
I've been very lucky with claims, because we ship a ton of merchandise. They dobt hassle us. I'm sure they just been giving us grace. I don't want the well to run dry though. Luckily I'm in Atlanta which is a good market. Maybe I'll stick with local pick up

BDW60

Reaction score
I know Dave's Guitar advises you wait 24 hours before opening shipments to allow items to slowly acclimate to large temperature swings. Good idea to thoroughly insulate to insure the temperature on the item shipped will more slowly reach temperature changes, avoiding instant temperature differentials.
They all say 24 hours in Midwest winters, but to me it’s way overkill for CYA. I’ve never opened a box that warmed up slowly inside for 6 hours to find a still cold case or guitar. Even if the guitar is slightly cool, that’s not what checks nitro. Going from a freezer to a heat gun is what checks Gibson nitro ... :)

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - I agree that someone should likely wait for a package to acclimate to indoor temps before opening box/guitar case to avoid nitro finish checking...from what I've read anyways. But what concerns me the most at this time are all the shipping delays and potential for re-routing through several terminals and trucks en route to a destination...increased handling and potential for a mishap at this time. Right now, I have a package sitting with a major courier at the same terminal for 5+ days in ND....likely a winter storm issue. I'd consider advertising/selling more locally and meeting a solid potential buyer midway for a transaction. Good luck!

filtersweep

Reaction score
Yeah... I’d wait 24 hrs before gigging in the midwest— not.

You need concentrated cold- like from compressed gas to relic your finish. Ambient temps shouldn’t be an issue. I lived in Minnesota— now live in Norway. Never had an issue shipping/receiving/transporting guitars in the winter.

Wood is not very heat conductive... and the temp changes are not extreme if you look at the actual physics. It isn’t like your car engine cracks when it is -40. Or your house breaks. It might creak and pop. But seriously....

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Other than opening the box after some acclimation, I also think it's a good idea to insulate the box to help avoid sudden temperature changes.

I have shipped nitro finished guitars overseas and never had a problem. I did do some tricks to insulate the box, like using some thin bubble wrap in addition to regular bubble wrap. Shipping cost didn't increase much since most of what you pay is the volume, not the weight.

It's a somewhat unrelated topic, but I learned recently that icecreams in the US don't get hard on the fridge if you wrap the original (paper) packing in a ziploc. Because paper has no insulation and lets moisture in and out, it lets the icecream get hard. But, if you wrap it with a ziploc, it provides physical insulation against moisture. It works.

pillbug

Reaction score
I always ship in a hardshell case and tell the recipient to let the box sit - unopened - in the house for 24 hours. Have not had any problems this way.

Also, I like to ship on Mondays and avoid shipping on Fridays where the guitar will spend more time in the cold (trucks or warehouses) over the weekend.

redking

Reaction score
I just bought a new LP and had it shipped a short distance, so I waited till our -30 C cold snap ended before shipping. My guitar was exposed to 0 degrees C (32 deg F) for 24 hrs and it was fine.

moreles

Reaction score
I just purchased a $$$ guitar that was shipped x-country via UPS from a reputable high-end shop that knows its stuff. No problem. It was cased and packed in a good guitar-specific box. I would still be hesitant myself, but it seemsa like dealers just do it as a matter of course. I've oftenb wondered how many real freezing disasters actually occur.

Patek

Reaction score
And to think people pay thousands extra for nitro checking / replica patina. Yet someone else would not be happy/send a guitar back because of the smallest bit of checking during shipping on a finish that Gibson tries its best to mimic original nitro finishes that beautifully check over time like the originals.

redrabit1

Reaction score
I can't believe I am going to be the first guy to ask, but what is it you are going to be selling, and where are you located?

treemanjohn

Reaction score
I can't believe I am going to be the first guy to ask, but what is it you are going to be selling, and where are you located?
Geesh i have a lot of stuff. Ive been collecting guitars, basses, and a few amps for 35 years. I dont have a particular geetar that I target i just buy what I catches my eye and sounds nice

I'm in Atlanta, so hopefully there will be local interest so I don't have to ship. A bunch of friends play they may grab something

I'll post on MLP. It's a great community.

RobV

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one factor I have considered is the reality of shipping gorillas and delivery guys handling the box when they themselves are cold and uncomfortable. They’re humans. They want to get out of the cold. Are they more likely to be careless? I dunno. Maybe.
Agreed & I just had UPS go to the back of my house instead of coming to the front where my door is, he decided since I had the back gate locked to just put it over the fence in the snow bank, thankfully I was home and waiting for it and heard the truck. Let's just say I said a couple curse words right at him as he was getting back in his truck.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
I'll pick them up and deliver them for you

Latest Threads