Shed Pickups

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just a quick line to alert you guys to my company:

We're called Shed Pickups and we make handwound pickups for all Gibson and Fender guitars. We really know about pickups and tone and feel our products are the perfect answer to your tone quest.

We're based in the UK but we ship to anywhere in the World free.

please visit us at :

todd richman

Reaction score
Hi SHed. How do the Peter Green pickups that you make compare to WCR Moore/Green set? I know that Wags actually got to measure and examine the original guitar while Phil Winfield was touring it around guitar shows.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Essentially, the neck pickup was rewound many years ago. people think that the magnet was flipped. This is not the case. I do know what happened with it and have replicated it many times now. I really would love to tell all but when you're a pickup maker, that doesn't make sense.

All said and done I use the closest parts and materials I can source including genuine 60's PAF wire with a differnt wire for the neck pickup and even 2 strand / platt hookup. Within reason everything is as a PAF should be including a good PAF decal. Unless specifed all the parts are aged too. The bridge pickup is wound just like a PAF should be with the neck pickup being wound and constructed just the same as the real Peter Green pickup was.

The bottom line: I put my reputation on the line with my Supernaturals. Too many people have talked up their version and I have held off releasing my version until I knew it was right. To just make a pickup out of phase would be wrong and the proof of that is when the bridge and neck combined sound thin, trebly and have a reduced volume compared to either pickup on their own.
My supernaturals sound terrific in all switch positions without the volume drop. My own Les Paul is equipped with them.

ptate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hope you get a good response Spence.

I've been putting your name around the place for a while and even the guitar mags have a hold of it now I see........About time....

All the best.

:cheers:

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a talk with a guitar mag Journo this evening. They haven't had a pickup shoot out for sometime so maybe it's time to revisit it. I suggested maybe they might like to try a Peter Green pickup set shootout. I'll be talking to the editor tomorrow provided I can get past the receptionist:rofl:

Pickup shootouts can be make or break but a good review is better than any self advertising.

ptate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a talk with a guitar mag Journo this evening. They haven't had a pickup shoot out for sometime so maybe it's time to revisit it. I suggested maybe they might like to try a Peter Green pickup set shootout. I'll be talking to the editor tomorrow provided I can get past the receptionist:rofl:

Pickup shootouts can be make or break but a good review is better than any self advertising.
Which mag Spence? I buy most of them, but I'll definately try to get hold of a copy of that one.

I saw your name crop up in a guitar mag restoration article which mentioned that your replicas are sh*t hot.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IPC Media Guitar & Bass.

I like them because they try to cater for the older guitarist too.

Just spoke to the Ed. Quite encouraging so far.

todd richman

Reaction score
Spence, that sounds awesome. Do you have any pics of the aged covers. I am real particular about that since my guitars are Murphy-aged and I like old hardware. Also, will you sell to the U.S.-I presume so since this forum originates here. What is the total cost with shipping to Pennsylvania for a set of Supernaturals. Oh, does the neck pickup have to be mounted upside down or is that just a cosmetic thing with the Greenburst? Thanks...

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Todd.

Here's an example of an aged cover :

PAF COVER 003a.jpg

The neck pickup does not need to be turned around. I know why it came to be this way which is due to quite a basic error for a pickup repairer. But let's not be knocking anyone; shit happens:shock:

For a neck and bridge pickup, they are £200 the pair shipping to anywhere in the World free.

Wish I could come over to the US. I used to live in Wilmington, Delaware. Loved it.

Dave Stephens

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would say if you want a real honest Peter Greene tone I would recommend Shed Pickups. I have to be real skeptical that anyone can nail that tone based on ohmeter readings at a guitar show:naughty:

To really get accurate information from a set of historical pickups you'd need an LCR meter, a gaussmeter, an ohmeter, a micrometer, frequency analysis software, and the ablity to open the pickup up. Spence from Shed knows some accurate information about those pickups that very few are privy to so if you want to sound like ol' Pete, dig out yer wallet. Spence makes killer shit....

ptate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
+1

He's a really sorted bloke as well. Worked on a few things for me.

Get yer wallets out and you'll not be disappointed.

todd richman

Reaction score
Hi Shed. The covers look great-the corners look correct! Wow, I went to school in Wilmington back in the early 90's. I will be in touch for a set of Supernaturals soon.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a good tale for you Todd. In 1999 I took my wife on a tour through Canada and down the East coast of America. I wanted to show her my old home in Wilmington and my aunt and uncle still live across the road.

We got a bit lost coming into Wilmington in the dark which was getting critical as I had picked up a bug. thought I was going to crap myself. Anyway we spotted a MacDonalds and headed there. I suggested my wife should get some food whilst I visited the restroom. When I came out of there and back into the restaurant everyone was face-down on the floor; the cops were there too. A gang had tried to rob the place while I was blissfully unaware in the restroom. My wife needed the restroom straight after.
Didn't get a burger after either.
Class!

Red Baron

Reaction score
Nugget, I was just looking at your site and I think you need some clarification on the pickup pricing per pair or for each pickup - for example, is the PAF Daddy 80 pounds each or is that for a pair?

61LPSG

Reaction score
Nugget, I think it's very impressive that most of these guys endorsing your product are also your competitors.
That not only says a lot about you, but also about them.
Man I love this forum.

kluson

Reaction score
nice one Spence , carry on the good work!

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
Some of Spence's work !!! I have to thank him for supporting the MLP pickups for charity raffle with his products as well !!! :thumb:

ReverendJWblues

MLP Chaplain
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not that anyone would take my word for anything, but I have Spences PAF Daddy's, they wont ever be for sale. Great stuff, I also have Spence making me a special little set, well special to me for my Page. I dont even have to worry about what they will sound like, I just know they will sound great. We all have people we like to make pup's for us nuthin wrong with that, I've talked with the man on the phone, great guy, he has my business as long as he wants it. Give Spence a try, I definatley dont think you'll be dissapointed at all.

Latest Threads