Sharp frets on new R9

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread about this small issue with my new '13 R9. The fret ends feel sharp on both sides and I've never experienced this. I'm wondering if this would be a warranty issue that I could have fixed at no charge at a local Gibson authorized facility. Of course, I've posed this question to the Gibson support team. Have any of you had this issue? I'm touching the part of the fret that feels sharp in the photo. It;s hard to find info online as most "sharp fret edge" searches direct to protruding fret edges on dry guitars without binding. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0325.jpg

Adambomb

Reaction score
Man that's crazy they must have went too fast in the fret filling process. Can't imagine it's dried out wood this soon, but could be. Check your humidity in room or house. If you've told Gibson already then they'll take care of it.

goldtop0

Reaction score
This is your first Historic right?
If that's the only problem you've got well it isn't too bad compared to what I did in '03 when I got my first one,changed this and that.Now Gibson are doing a much better job in '13.........better but not perfect:)

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is your first Historic right?
If that's the only problem you've got well it isn't too bad compared to what I did in '03 when I got my first one,changed this and that.Now Gibson are doing a much better job in '13.........better but not perfect:)

I've owned many historics and this is the first time I've seen this. Normally the frets are perfect and smooth. I will say that everything else is terrific! I'll be all smiles when this fret issue gets sorted.

rclausen

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my R7. This was my first new historic and was a little disappointed. I had to have my tech file down the sides slightly. I didn't even think about contacting Gibson about it

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just dropped it off with my usual tech. He'll take care of the frets and give it a setup. This is a super low serial number, from what I know the 5th R9 made in 2013. So it probably hung on the wall for a while in WI in the winter. It's really dry here all winter. Just needs some love, I guess. I'm not waiting around for Gibson to tell me to ship it back to them. Too much hassle.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
....and he's already done. Absolutely perfect! What, me worry?

KenG

Reaction score
It looks like they effed up the nibs or didn't work the tops of the fret ends correctly. The nibs usually cover the blunt ends of the frets.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like they effed up the nibs or didn't work the tops of the fret ends correctly. The nibs usually cover the blunt ends of the frets.

That's what I think, too. But it plays great now so I'm good. :thumb:

nicklee13

Reaction score
I am glad it all worked out for you. I don't know if I could have handled it like you did. I would probably flip out and return it.

Enjoy your new guitar.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am glad it all worked out for you. I don't know if I could have handled it like you did. I would probably flip out and return it.

Enjoy your new guitar.

To be honest, it's embarrassing how many times I've done that! But this guitar feels so great. It's brand new but feels like an old friend. The sound is out of this world, even next to my other historics. There isn't a lot I wouldn't have done to make this one right!

ant_riv

Reaction score
Congratulations and good to hear it was taken care of.

Even better to hear how much you are enjoying it!

goldtop0

Reaction score
Down my end of the world there's 'no returns'........we're just too far away for anyone(Gibson or whoever) to give a s..t. So we do all that sort of stuff on a regular basis with anything new.........yep the '13s are real goodies alright:thumb:

Latest Threads